TKR Zjrogs Recovery Story 2020

Looks good glad you are having a good recovery.
Believe me, I'm a very happy camper. But know, tomorrow starts a new regimen.
20201020_113356.jpg

I remember what a hateful little device this was 10 years ago. I was 3 weeks before I got all around. But today, it was, dare I say, EASY!

20201020_183116.jpg

And as much as I hated the CPM machine last time, I keep turning it up. I took an hour's nap at this setting today.

While I have to wait 3 weeks to talk going back to work, I'm already tired of sitting doing nothing...

Last edited by a moderator:
While I have to wait 3 weeks to talk going back to work, I'm already tired of sitting doing nothing...
You are not doing nothing right now, you are giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal.

You are not doing nothing right now, you are giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal.
I get it. This is my second time around. I was off work 5 weeks then. 9 months after my first knee, I broke my back in a cycling accident. I was off work for 8 weeks.

Earlier this year I was off work for 3 1/2 months. I was going stir crazy...

And I know when I get to my ankle fusion or replacement, I will be down longer.

I don't do well just sitting... ;)

Today in PT, I was measured at 125. I'm only 3 weeks post op today. It took me 6 weeks for my first knee. Therapist pushed my seat on the recumbent bike far enough forward I couldn't get a revolution. But. After 5 minutes I was very close. After my 125 measure, I pushed a bit too hard, and felt my incision "burn", and immediately stopped.

For fun while icing my new knee, my PT measured my first knee. 145. And that knee has been excellent support through all this despite wearing an AFO brace for that ankle...

Until I get to return to work, I'm doing therapy 3 times a week. I swear, I'm taking it easy. I'm not pushing. But I'm getting more bend quicker than my 10 year old knee.

MyvPT is certain it is my cycling since my weight loss of 140 pounds. Otherwise, he has no answers.

In a very very strange way, I'm really expecting that "other shoe to drop", so to speak.

Rest. Ice. Elevation. PATIENCE.

Three weeks in, I'm down to a 5mg Percocet at bedtime, and Naproxen through the day. I do spend a chunk of each day tired, and on the CPM machine, napping. Setting on said machine are -10 to +120, full speed, 10 seconds pause at top and bottom. My ever present pup lays with me through most of that time. But I may have to cut the napping, as I'm not sleeping well through the night...

Anyway, goodnight friends...

You are less than a month out and sleeping at any time can be rough. We always say to sleep where and when you can.

20201029_090453.jpg

My apologies for my shorts pulled up so high, but it sure is nice to see that right leg straight again.

Knee is looking great and very similar to your other one. Have a peaceful night and if not enough sleep, naps are a wonderful thing during recovery.

I'm seriously concerned my PT may get cut short. I hit 132 today. Weird....

So, in a Facebook Knee Replacement Group, Facebook removed my above photo showing my healing knee. Reason? They feared I was bragging about harming myself. And offered various suicidal related websites and phone numbers...

Absolutely absurd.

20201105_113631.jpg

Simple post today. LTKR is 10 years old today!

RTKR is 5 weeks old tomorrow.

ROM is 135. Working on strength on climbing and descending stairs. I look forward to not needing to hold on to handrails again.

20201108_115457.jpg

I finally hung my TV today. I've added resistance back into my bicycle trainer. Time to get some cycling going. I have network and TV cables to connect to my laptop, remote controlled fan is nice.

My wife is trying to decide on keeping her health rider machine or getting her bike back in the front room. I wish there was room for all. But also looking forward to new carpet in this room after the first of the year...

Surgeon cleared me for return to work today. Monday is 6 weeks.

PT beat me up as usual. But I got to 138 today. No more 3 times a week PT, just Fridays from here till insurance says enough.

I've said before, the difference in surgical technique in 10 years is a huge difference for me at least.

But again. I KNOW I am not the normal knee patient.

I know the saying, "pictures or it didn't happen!"

Collage 2020-11-13 23_15_49.jpg

Collage 2020-11-13 23_13_15.jpg

RTKR was 6 weeks ago in 2 more days. I know how hard I pushed 10 years ago with my left knee. I'm not pushing like that at all.

I have a sincere hope that everyone can reach their own goals in their right time.

My job's Occupational Health people cleared me to return to work. And, unless I have any issues, no need to go back.

A significant change from my LTKR 10 years ago, where they had me come back for 3 monthly appointments...

The doctor did have me walk around the building with him, do some stairs. He was surprised I have no limp.

And, I got to have lunch with my daughter. A very unexpected, but pleasant event.

Great Report! It's good to read of successful knee replacements :) I did my left knee 11 months ago, and it was the BEST decision I made, I'm now on a waiting list for my right knee, but due to Covid, it may be a long wait as there are no elective surgeries at the moment, hopefully my right will go smoothly as well, at least this time round I know what to expect :flabber::heehee:

I seem to have been lucky to get my RTKR in before the new spike in cases here in Utah... Which I'm sure will affect moving forward with my ankle anytime soon.

I did see my PT yesterday, I'm going to keep going until insurance says no more. Maybe I like the abuse... But still at the same 138 ROM as last week. But, not surprised or disappointed. I still have swelling, and yes, it is only 6 weeks in... Icing daily still.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back