THR I’m so overwhelmed HELP

Hello and Happy Saturday to you!
Weather has changed in my area it has become very damp, cold and raining. Just wondering if that could be causing some of this discomfort.
For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

However, not sure about swelling in the area of your stomach. That is something you need to mention at your visit in five days.
Well today I’m 25 days post op from THR. My life for those days have been icing, elevating, walking a little, ankle pumps, recliner to bed, then repeat.

I’m wondering about your activity level as you mentioned “walking a little”. What exactly do you mean by that? Most often problems arise from over activity to early on, but you can also have swelling from inactivity. Take a look at the Activity Progression for THR and see if you feel you’re where it suggests you should be at almost four weeks post op. If not, you may need to ramp up the walking a little.

I hope you have a nice weekend and a great post op visit on Thursday. Let us know how it goes.

@Nchiodo - been thinking of you. Let us know how your post op appointment goes tomorrow!

Wooooo Hooo today is my one month anniversary!! Heading to the doctor for my very first follow up since surgery. Will let you know how it goes. Thumbs up

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Best wishes for your post op appt today. Will look forward to your update afterward.
Hope this day is a great one. :)
@Nchiodo

Well great visit with my Doc. Healing really well. I don’t have to worry about the 90 degree rule any longer. Gave me my exercises to do along with being able to drive and shave my legs. Restrictions still on twisting my operated leg due to the fact I could still dislocate. He still wants me icing when needed. He also said when I get any groin pain it’s my new hip telling me I over did it and rest. Overall he’s pleased I’m pleased and life as I know it is slowly coming back.

Great report. I bet you feel wonderful after that visit and being able to do more. Remember to continue listening to your body and your hip so you do not overdo. Have a wonderful celebratory evening. :flwrysmile:

Super news!!!! No more 90 degree rule, lucky you. I'm really looking forward to that, and to the retirement of the TED stockings. Enjoy basking in the pleasure of your good report and newly shaved legs.

Thank you all for the best wishes. The one thing I forgot to tell you I did form a Hematomas right by my scar. Dr was not to concerned he said some people just pool blood. He didn’t feel he had to drain it. He said it should just dissolve in the next month or so. It’s pretty swollen but as we all know Ice is our friend.

Yes, ice like it’s your job, lol. :wink: I loved that lil miracle worker ice! :ice:
Hope your weekend is a good one.
@Nchiodo

I’ve got a question. I’m 5 1/2 weeks out from THR doing fairly well. My question is I get achy over my hip prosthetic kinda of like an arthritis ache. I’m still swollen over this area. I ice 4-5 times a day still along with Tylenol. Is it unusual to feel this achy feel?

Hi! I am just jumping in here and saw the swollen was from the pool of blood, possibly the ache is from that? One thing from my first repair, I don't have a clue if related, but doing alot of bending did give me an ache for a few hours. I am wondering if it is pressure of the blood pool? Maybe a call to the Doc to be sure?

Glad you are doing well!

@Nchiodo - Our surgeries are just a day apart and I still have that ache. I blame the seroma I have under the scar. I would imagine your hematoma might give you the same sensation? I could be wrong (I'm just guessing from a patient's perspective) but I think they are similar situations with a hematoma being filled with blood and a seroma being filled with other fluids? My surgeon jokingly called that fluid 'surgical juice' - it's blood tinged. All I know is it certainly adds a feeling of tightness and pressure and yes, even an ache.

Ice and Tylenol do seem in order.

Hello @Nchiodo
I would continue icing for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice.
Five and a half weeks is still very early recovery in the whole scheme of things.

I am not sure how much Tylenol you’re taking, or if you’re taking anything in addition to the Tylenol, but the retired forum nurse often recommended Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg, 4x daily. Not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. Any other meds you're taking that contain Acetaminophen must be calculated into that amount of 4000 mg.

Effective pain control should help with pain and swelling allowing you to be more mobile. Consider speaking with your surgeons care team about adjusting your Tylenol dosage. Hopefully it will help.

Thanks everyone. I sure appreciate it.

Reading all these posts make me feel hopeful. 7 days home from hospital only. Wish I found this a few days ago. 3 days of severe leg cramps got me bad.
Glad you are doing better!

Hi @laurendallastx ! Your two days after me . Are you elevating and icing as they recommend? For me, moving, walking, the basic exercises from the joint academy keep me loosened up. Yes, you are on the road to recovery! You got this too! :egypdance:

Yes elevating and icing throughout the day. The operated side buttocks hurt
Today one week home and primarily by myself. Every day a new challenge.

My question of the day. Ok 6 weeks post op from THR and I’ve been able to sleep back in bed instead of the recliner for the last 3 weeks. Now I’ve been sleeping on my back only until my restrictions was lifted on Oct 1 which I was now able to sleep in my side. Every since then I’ve been slowly sleeping back on my side with my operated leg on top and of course a pillow between my legs but every morning I wake up with a lower back ache. Never had this prior to surgery and we bought a new mattress a year ago. I don’t have a backache during the day or even with movement all day just when I get up. Oh. And when I was sleeping on my back for the first month I never had a backache. So what’s your thoughts.

Hmm, :what:...sorry your back is hurting when you first wake. The good news is it doesn’t last throughout the day. This one is puzzling to me. I’m tagging @Jaycey from Admin to see if she has any thoughts on this. Hope it eases soon.
@Nchiodo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom