THR Hello

It sounds as if you could do fine on your own, without going to PT.

Just be careful you don't overdo the swimming. It's so easy to do too much in the water without realising it.

Thank-you, @Celle. I did some swim, kick and pull, freestyle and backstroke. I did not push off the wall with my operative left hip, and kept the kicking very gentle on that side.

You are the best judge of whether or not your PT is worth it -- but from here it sounds like it's not worth either the time or the Covid risk.

Can you correspond with your therapist to determine what they have in mind for future sessions?

Yippee on the :swim: .... and of course :walking:. Congrats on being able to get back in the gym.

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!

Not only does it seem the PT you attended was pretty much a waste of your time, but I‘d be tempted to report that seemingly lazy therapist and your experience of 15 minutes of PT on three separate pieces of equipment. Needless to say, I would not recommend you go back, but continue on your own. Take it slow as it seems you’re doing and I’m sure you’ll do great.
Have a wonderful weekend! :)
@SwimHip

You are the best judge of whether or not your PT is worth it -- but from here it sounds like it's not worth either the time or the Covid risk.

Can you correspond with your therapist to determine what they have in mind for future sessions?

Yippee on the :swim: .... and of course :walking:. Congrats on being able to get back in the gym.
@cstinchcomb, my PT has been very forthcoming with the plan of care. Focus is on proper gait and exercise to strengthen areas that assist with that. For me, attention to the core has been very helpful, as has attention to abductors, glutes and quads. I understand that for some people, this might not be a reasonable plan. I did all of that with Hip #1, and tolerated well. My issue is that the time spent in a session has been greatly reduced.

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!

Not only does it seem the PT you attended was pretty much a waste of your time, but I‘d be tempted to report that seemingly lazy therapist and your experience of 15 minutes of PT on three separate pieces of equipment. Needless to say, I would not recommend you go back, but continue on your own. Take it slow as it seems you’re doing and I’m sure you’ll do great.
Have a wonderful weekend! :)
@SwimHip
@Layla, my PT is anything but lazy. He simply spent a lot more time during appointments, as did other staff I worked with, during my last hip recovery. It appears that the PT practice is cramming in more appointments this time. I know this because my PT goes directly from me to another patient. I am certain he does not make scheduling decisions, but rather, it comes from management.

Many THR patients do just fine with no formal physical therapy. I think you will do just fine without, then as time passes and you think you need a bit of tweaking, then it's never too late to return for some more sessions.
Remember our Big Tip in our Recovery Guidelines? I'll leave it here again. :yes:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

my PT is anything but lazy.

Oopsie! Wouldn’t shock me though, as mine was. Mine was sweet, cute as a button with a great personality and sense of humor, but would put me on machine after machine as she sat on her computer. Always wondered if she was updating her social :heehee:
It’s really a shame though to have an appointment cut so short. Especially given what it can physically take to get from home into the place of your appointment in the early weeks of healing.

Have a lovely Sunday and a great week! :)

@Layla, you might not be shocked, but I would be. He is at my side, counting reps and telling me the notes he’s putting into the computer. I doubt he’s checking his social media. I’m sorry you experienced what sounds like a very unprofessional PT or PT assistant. My issue is simply the reduced appointment time. I’ll add, also, I’ve had no trouble getting to and from appointments. Appointment tomorrow. Next one on Thursday for a progress note. I’ll not schedule any further sessions.

Hi @SwimHip
I guess you lucked out with your therapist. I didn’t, but it’s all good. I quit after about three sessions and did fine on my own. It‘s good to hear there’s no difficulty getting to your appointments. I hope you enjoy your upcoming sessions and have a wonderful week! :)
Just think how good you’ll be feeling by the holidays with your two new hips.:happydance:

Sounds like you got a lot of benefit from the first go round; pretty much what I wanted for me. Ask them about the short sessions; maybe it's something in the way your doc or PA wrote the prescription. Seems like Lefty would benefit from the same successful treatment as Righty ... although, if it's not to be -- I certainly did fine with no PT on the Left , and only a smidge on the more recent Right ... so I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

Hope the air is OK where you are, and that you're able to :swim: & :walking:too.

Sounds like you got a lot of benefit from the first go round; pretty much what I wanted for me. Ask them about the short sessions; maybe it's something in the way your doc or PA wrote the prescription. Seems like Lefty would benefit from the same successful treatment as Righty ... although, if it's not to be -- I certainly did fine with no PT on the Left , and only a smidge on the more recent Right ... so I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

Hope the air is OK where you are, and that you're able to :swim: & :walking:too.
@cstinchcomb, nope, it’s not anything about the way the “prescription” was written. I have a copy of the referral order, and it’s a long list of therapies to be scheduled “within provider’s discretion.” I am not interested in asking about longer sessions. It was great last time because my gym and pools were closed. Not so, this go round. Not interested in pursuing any further sessions after the progress note/evaluation on Thursday.
The air has been better recently and I’ve been able to swim. I hope you’re enjoying some better air too!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you had a good October and wishing you an even better November.
Take good care! :wave:
@SwimHip

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hows it going these days? I hope all is well and you’re looking forward to the holidays. Drop us an update next time you stop by. We’d love to hear how your recovery is going. Wishing you a great December and holiday season!:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
@SwimHip

Hello, @Layla and everyone else! I’m well, thank-you and I’m grateful for what I can do with my new left hip and 8 1/2 month old right hip. I started swimming at 4 weeks and continue to do so. We travelled for Thanksgiving (please, no lectures) and I was amazed that I was able to handle some fairly long walks at a couple of airports, with no back or hip pain during or after. Thank-you for your warm holiday wishes and the same from me to all my fellow hippies.

:thumb: I ditched the PT. Walking was best . Once balance was achieved good to practice a good heal to toe gate. In time it will all just follow thru with very little effort.

Happy New Year and Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty :)
Good to hear you successfully traveled for Thanksgiving, no worse for wear.
Enjoy those swims and have a wonderful week! :swim:
@SwimHip

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker