Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

He said it was a regulation by the government all across the country that no surgeon can administer pain meds after six weeks.
The guidance from the Federal government has always been just that....guidance....not rules and certainly nothing has ever been issued by the Federal government that said pain meds cannot be issued after 6 weeks. Based on the FDA guidance, most states have formulated their own guidance for their physicians. Washington State's guidance is published here. As you can see, doctors may continue to prescribe pain medications in cases where the patient has a medical need for them. The situation just needs to be documented. It sounds as though your surgeon is not willing to go through that for you.

The PA had dug into the areas opening them to find a stitch that had not dissolved and said it was the cause of my infection. I do not buy that.
Surface infections can be the result of a stitch that doesn't dissolve. It is possible this was the case.

I also ask about going back to therapy with home health care since the therapy clinic was so crowded and I was afraid to get sick when our county just got hit harder with COVID. He again said NO.
Pumpkln is correct that you can most likely do your own therapy at home. But if you want to have someone helping you, your GP can prescribe home health physical therapy for you. Ask and see if that could be arranged.

Do we need to have further watching at my stage of 7 weeks by the surgeon or can could I go to Internal med guy?
It is a good idea to have someone checking you at about 6 months and 1 year out from surgery just to be sure things are going well.

. His newest "I expect" comment was I expect it to reach 125 in the next six weeks. From 84 to 125 in 6 weeks. I do not respect or believe in him anymore.

If the swelling comes down, that seems entirely possible, based on my experience. I gained about 15 degrees after the first six weeks as the swelling came down.

Thank you my friends. I no longer have faith in them. My appointment Friday was a joke! I cannot cancel Thursday PT because I formally agreed to a one week notice if cancelling unless for illnesses, and responsible for the charges if not. This PT has been good to me but I have a call into my primary doctor asking for either Home Health or stopping all together. He will refer me to anyone he feels is appropriate including an infectious disease doctor. The infected area looks good this morning and anti-biotic are ongoing another 4 days.

The area they re-opened, though not too deep, was angrier. But it has calmed down and using the scar solution (sponsor) that you guys recommenced is working so well.

Everything has been tough but with the support from here, it always helps.

Respectfully thanking you all.

I work on my recumbent bike every day and seversl other easy exercises depending on the swelling. As I am now compression wrapping the leg, the swelling is getting better but come right back after exercises. I suspect it just needs time. I knew he was not telling me straight. His attitude is almost as though I were a paper he needed to write about for success or his leg. Anyway, I knew the huge comment made about tip of the stem and the pain meds were not true.

Explaining about the re-opening, the PA wiped the area with an alcohol wipe and pulled off the scab trying to close the area. Then cut it open slightly until she saw the stitch. It was not deep but it did bleed and set me back until it closes yet again. I do not want to go back!

Thank you all again! I will beat this and know whatever ROM I get, I have already gone past 60 degrees which I lived with for 14 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot cancel Thursday PT because I formally agreed to a one week notice if cancelling unless for illnesses, and responsible for the charges if not.
Make the appointment work for you. Ask the therapist to give you printouts of some of the more gentle exercises along with some you could do later as you get stronger and the swelling is less. With the printed material, you can definitely do things for yourself at home. You could also request that the therapist do a lymphatic massage during your session. That helps with swelling.

The area they re-opened, though not too deep, was angrier. But it has calmed down and using the scar solution (sponsor) that you guys recommenced is working so well.
Once you get the source of the irritation and inflammation out of there, things can begin to settle. This procedure was needed to remove the stitch. The Active Antimicrobial Hydrogel is perfect to help this healing process along, so I'm glad you're using it. I works along with your antibiotics to ensure that your body has all the tools it needs to fight the bacterial infection. You're fighting it both systemically and with a surface antimicrobial product. Double whammy.

the swelling is getting better but come right back after exercises. I suspect it just needs time.
Your gut feeling is right on. Your body is going to heal at its own pace and it appears to take extra time. Being patient and not trying to hurry things up is exactly the right path.

I will beat this and know whatever ROM I get, I have already gone past 60 degrees which I lived with for 14 years.
That's the spirit!! :thumb:

Explaining about the re-opening, the PA wiped the area with an alcohol wipe and pulled off the scab trying to close the area. Then cut it open slightly until she saw the stitch. It was not deep but it did bleed and set me back until it closes yet again.
Did she say why she did this? I don't remember ever hearing this done before.

This is done when a stitch that is slightly below the surface is causing problems. If you don't remove the cause of the irritation and inflammation, the infection will only get worse. @Celle can probably give more details on the "what" and "why" of what was done.

If the stitch that hasn't dissolved is causing irritation, it won't stop doing that, so it had to be removed, or the incision wouldn't heal.

I do hope that it was done under sterile conditions.

Hello, Jamie, Pumpkin, Sisters-in -Him, Celle, Revision Lefty and Kneeper!

Thank you all for your tips and especially about making my appointment count with getting work out sheets. I am venerable for everything and now the PT office is packed so feeling safe not possible.

I thought I replied about stereo conditions but in case I did not, that answer is no. We were in an exam room and nothing there could be called a sterile place.

My thigh pain today has been awful and nothing I do will help. Do you think heat between ice would help me? I keep getting into a deep depressive state when pain takes over. I hate not admit my gutless attitude but pain just won't give me a break. I hope PT can help tomorrow.

Good night and thanks again,
Mamie

@Mamie: this is stiff knee; I posted this on MY thread but now think I should have put on yours!
I got your message...Bonesmart wants us to post on the forum rather than send individual messages. Here’s what I replied about the compression sleeve:

I got my knee sleeve from a place called CompressionStockings.com, which is also its web address. The brand is CEP. I wear a CEP unisex 20-30 mmHg Compression Knee Sleeve with Silicone band. (I have NO idea what 20-30 mmHg means; the sports massage therapist I went to told me to order that). You will need to measure several spots on your leg (the calf, for one) to determine the correct size. I am in a size 5 but you may be in a completely different size. I recommend that you run this by your doctor or physical therapist FIRST tho. By the way, the customer service at that company is outstanding!

I don’t see that particular sleeve on the web site either. I usually just call my order in... I ordered one about a month ago and it arrived within 2 or 3 days.

Hope you are able to get one and that it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Stiff Knee NC. I apologize if sending direct about the contact info was improper. I was not sure which to do but since it was just for you, that was how I felt it should be. Sorry.

I will call them and see what we can figure out but not until I measure. I have support socks my vascular doctor recommended several years ago after ablations to both legs. That number as I understand is the amount of pressure or compression is used.Your number is what I have worn for sometime in the fall. Is the one you speak of knee or thigh high?

Thanks again!
Mamie

Good Afternoon My Fellow Knee Supporters!

GREAT NEWS!! My anti-biotic is finished after two weeks and no sign of infection and the three openings are finally closed! :happydance::happyfeet: I am so happy. FYI: The solution "Active" from a sponsor here at Bone Smart sells it...and IT VWORKS!! My scar was looking awful. I have used this solution for two weeks and it looks so much better. It looks great to me but for the swelling. I totally recommend this solution for healing a scar making it look ok at only 7 or 8 weeks.

Today, was the first time I could do several exercises before wiping out. The side and back kicks and partial squats was a bit harder so now back on ice but some of it actually felt good. This thigh pain is miserable but I am so happy to share my good news! I slipped back to 82 degrees instead of being at 84, but it is swelling so I am not letting it bother me. Move over depression...HAPPY IS HERE to STAY...No Matter what is causing that number!

Mamie

Mamie, congrats in your wound healing. Sine the margin of error is 5 degrees when measuring ROM, the difference between 84 and 82 for all intents and purposes is the same.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Before sharing, I would like to inquire how you are doing Dizzy. You were at wits end the last time I heard and that was 2 to 3 weeks ago. I hope you slayed that pain.

Yesterday after therapy I discovered they had forgotten to schedule further appointments and have no availability for three weeks. That's fine, as I had wanted to quit anyway. I reached 90 degrees and will keep at it daily but not be afraid to rest when I do not feel great. My fluid retention is bad again at the 17 pounds. My everyday doctor is concerned due to the pressure on my kidneys but told me this type of swelling won't go away easily. and will take maybe months.

I received a return call from the people about compression wear and my leg has reached such a swelling point, that the ones I want do not come in the size my knee is at now while so swollen. One of the two companies I reached recommended I see an occupational therapist about 90 minutes from here, who specializes in this type of swelling and who could recommend the proper compression wear.

Thank you Stiff Knee for helping me reach CEP. I also spoke with another company when CEP could not help me until some of this swelling went down. How are you feeling?

I think about so many who are here and wonder how you are all doing. Revision Lefty you are still in my prayers, as I have everyone here in hopes we all reach our goals.

I am also thinking seriously about quitting my surgeon as their idea of help stinks. Never calls back, slams the PT's and doctors that help me, criticize me for my ROM improvements so I ask myself, why do I want or need them? I'm in a position of no appointments available at PT yet they are final about home health care to watch over and help me.

PamsKnees, how are you? My thoughts are with you all, knowing we are all in the same or similar boat. Does anyone else here, have swelling so bad at 9 weeks? If so, please share what you are doing to help it.

Take Care

@Mamie
90 degrees!!!! That is great! I know you’ve been stressed and working so hard to improve. And you got 90 degrees despite the awful swelling. You go girl!

I’m sorry that your people dropped the ball with scheduling out your PT appointments and that you are still struggling with the swelling. 90 minutes is a long time to drive, but maybe you should try one of the occupational therapy sessions to see if they really can help reduce your swelling.

Hello All,

Before sharing, I would like to inquire how you are doing Dizzy. You were at wits end the last time I heard and that was 2 to 3 weeks ago. I hope you slayed that pain.

Yesterday after therapy I discovered they had forgotten to schedule further appointments and have no availability for three weeks. That's fine, as I had wanted to quit anyway. I reached 90 degrees and will keep at it daily but not be afraid to rest when I do not feel great. My fluid retention is bad again at the 17 pounds. My everyday doctor is concerned due to the pressure on my kidneys but told me this type of swelling won't go away easily. and will take maybe months.

I received a return call from the people about compression wear and my leg has reached such a swelling point, that the ones I want do not come in the size my knee is at now while so swollen. One of the two companies I reached recommended I see an occupational therapist about 90 minutes from here, who specializes in this type of swelling and who could recommend the proper compression wear.

Thank you Stiff Knee for helping me reach CEP. I also spoke with another company when CEP could not help me until some of this swelling went down. How are you feeling?

I think about so many who are here and wonder how you are all doing. Revision Lefty you are still in my prayers, as I have everyone here in hopes we all reach our goals.:prayer:

I am also thinking seriously about quitting my surgeon as their idea of help stinks. Never calls back, slams the PT's and doctors that help me, criticize me for my ROM improvements so I ask myself, why do I want or need them? I'm in a position of no appointments available at PT yet they are final about home health care to watch over and help me.

PamsKnees, how are you? My thoughts are with you all, knowing we are all in the same or similar boat. Does anyone else here, have swelling so bad at 9 weeks? If so, please share what you are doing to help it.

Take Care
@Mamie Thanks for thinking of me. I am doing well finally! The burning pain finally stopped just about two weeks ago and what a relief!! Went for my 3 month check to OS yesterday and all is well.

I'm truly concerned and frustrated for you for all you are going through. I hope and :prayer: that your troubles will settle down so you can continue with recuperating. It's so sad that you aren't getting the proper support from your surgeon. What a jerk! Don't be overly concerned about the PT. Once you can get the swelling under control, all else will probably fall into place. Don't worry about the ROM or extension numbers!! It will come!! Will keep looking for your posts to check on your progress. :console2:

Hi Mamie, so glad your at 90 degrees! Great job, I’m so sorry about the treatment from your Ortho what a jerk! Is it possible for you to get a occupational therapist to come to your house? I had one come and evaluate me after surgery. Maybe your Primary can send a referral? 90 minutes is not something to look forward to when not feeling well, also couldn’t he order therapy at home for you? I’m doing ok my knee is slowly coming along I’m at 108 rom, threw my back out this week so that has slowed things down. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Be well

Hi Mamie, I just caught up on your thread and am so happy to see that you are making some progress. You have been through some upsetting events for sure, and I am so sorry that your OS and his support team are so lacking in empathy.
Would you like some some gentle exercises that just may help you with your swelling? They aren't really exercises, but it's things that you can do with deep breathing and some light hand strokes.
They would be gentle enough to possibly even help you relax and doze off after doing them. At least that's what I did during my THR recovery.
Just tag me if you'd like them.
@Mamie

Hello Mrs. Ciz

Thank you for the support. I just can't get a positive stroke from the surgeon. I told him I was 100% in straight leg. He asks me to show him and I did. He just looked at me and said "You re not 100%-you are 2% down!" That infuriated me and hurt my being to the core how they behave. I was so up and left so down.

I e-mailed them on Friday and told them I have no PT for 3 weeks and they could give me back home health care PT those three weeks or I am happy to go it alone. The reply I received was "this is not acceptable. and "Call PT back and tell them to find space for me." I am tired of paying their bills and doing every bit of my own advocacy work. Not one word about home PT for 3 weeks. Except NO Reply.

I do not need them. She asked me to get rid of my family doctor as my knee was not his concern. Yet, they told me to get my meds from them. My go to doctor of 30 years helps me at every turn. The surgeon was told my infection was back and the pressure from swelling blew open three places on my knee. Not one effort to help me. But my go to doc got me on anti-biotic and checked on me every day. Hmmm...who do you think I want to get rid of?

Thanks so much for helping me feel fire again to keep going. I love this group and everyone here.

Mamie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member