THR New September Sapphire here

Abacus

Country
United States United States
I am 51 and have been through a two year saga that started with getting out of bed with sharp stabbing pain in my right hip out of nowhere. I was treated in PT and by the GP for bursitis, which treatment increased my pain immensely. At the time, I was teaching art at 7 schools a week and was in excellent physical shape. I had to cut back then cease exercising, which increased stress- and pain.

I went to walk-in clinic after PT said they couldn't help me when I asked them to treat ME not the diagnosis on paper. Finally I had an x-ray, blood work and got a cane.

The doctor I then saw left the practice suddenly after one visit so I was bumped to the bottom of the waiting list for another doctor. In a visit with my wrist doctor, I begged him to help me see the right doctor and he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I then had cortisone injections, which helped at first.

The PA asked me to wait until in the most pain before having another injection and ordered an MRI with contrast.

Due to the coronavirus, the MRI ordered was pushed back each month while the pain grew worse and worse (to where I regretted choosing to wait). Finally, a person in the scheduling office named Nancy took the time to hear my story, and got the MRI upgraded to STAT and found a cancellation, called the doctor on his vacation, and I had the MRI last May. The people who take the time to listen, like my wrist doctor and Nancy, are blessings.

I then got a message from my primary care doctor saying my hip is bone-on-bone and I needed a total hip replacement- but was too young.

I saw two different surgeons and the first one said to wait as long as possible to have the surgery. He had me come back in a month for an x-ray to see if it was rapidly worsening or not, and said to wait until more of the cartilage was gone. Per the x-ray, he said to wait so I can make the replacement last longer.

I decided to get a second opinion and found a surgeon who does a high number of THRs every year at a hospital with great success rates for THRs.

The second said I am a good candidate for the anterior approach, answered all my questions, and felt right to me in his balanced approach of my age and the level of my pain and decreased quality of life. So I said, let's do it and told myself I could always change my mind.

I'm nervous and have moments of total overwhelm. I'm here. I still have moments of doubt over being too young. I also can't drive far, dance, sleep well, or climb the three steps to my front door without pain.

Nice to "meet" you all.

Last edited:
@Abacus Welcome to BoneSmart! Do you have a date for your surgery? We will put the information in a signature for you.

You are not at all too young for this op. We have members who are teenagers. That "too young" think is very old school. Sound like you found the right person to get you back to living life again.

I look forward to following your journey.

PS - don't change your mind about the op. This surgery is life changing. You won't regret it!

Abacus,
Sounds to me like you are much to young to be living your life in pain, using a cane, you can barely go up stairs, you are not sleeping, you can't drive far, and you cannot exercise.
What are you waiting for while life passes you by, missing out on your life.
Don't wait get it done, and get your life back.

As Jaycey mentioned we have many teenage hip replacements, they go on to resume normal teen age activities and enjoy their life.
Teenage hip replacements

I am in a similar boat, will have x rays in about 2 weeks. If I am bone on bone, I am going to get it done and not look back.

Be sure to score the score chart below, so you will know just how limited your life has become.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Abacus Welcome to BoneSmart! Do you have a date for your surgery? We will put the information in a signature for you.

You are not at all too young for this op. We have members who are teenagers. That "too young" think is very old school. Sound like you found the right person to get you back to living life again.

PS - don't change your mind about the op. This surgery is life changing. You won't regret it!

Hi Jaycey,

My surgery date is September 23rd. It's coming up fast and I'm going from scared to eager and back.

I want my life back though! Thanks for the encouragement.

Abacus,
Sounds to me like you are much to young to be living your life in pain, using a cane, you can barely go up stairs, you are not sleeping, you can't drive far, and you cannot exercise.
What are you waiting for while life passes you by, missing out on your life.
Don't wait get it done, and get your life back.

I am in a similar boat, will have x rays in about 2 weeks. If I am bone on bone, I am going to get it done and not look back.

Hi Pumpkin,
Thank you for putting that in new words- hearing that I was too young when in this much pain and that a revision was something to avoid, was discouraging. I think I might write what you said and put it on my mirror to remind myself what I'm truly too young for.

My surgery is September 23rd. Even though the first surgeon said I could lose more cartilage and wait longer, the MRI/x-ray reports say bone-on-bone. I don't understand that thought process, for I'd rather have the surgery before I lose more of my physical fitness.

I'm glad you're going to do it if you need it- I hope you have a good doctor who doesn't tell you to wait despite the x-rays.

I'd rather have the surgery before I lose more of my physical fitness.
I agree, it will be easier to get around after surgery while you are still fit.

Thanks, already talked to my OS and a THR will happen depending on my x ray.

:wave:I had both my hips replaced at age 53 and I spent several years before I got the diagnosis of end stage bone on bone OA.
I am so happy to have my life back, including my range of motion, my strength, my SLEEP, and my happiness.
I have never regretted my surgery.:tada:

Hi Jaycey,

My surgery date is September 23rd. It's coming up fast and I'm going from scared to eager and back.

I want my life back though! Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi Abacus!

I am due for a RTHR on Sept 21 and I, too, have bone on bone. You made the right choice and glad I did as well. I put it off too long thinking I was "too young" but my body told me otherwise lol

Hi zuffa27,

My body is telling me otherwise too, especially with driving. I wish you the best since yours is right before mine.

Do you have a pre-op thread yet? It would be nice to follow your progress since we're close to the same surgery dates!

@Abacus I am going to start my Post Op thread the morning of surgery. Ill try to give as much detail on what I go through as well as the days and weeks following

I am 51 and have been through a two year saga that started with getting out of bed with sharp stabbing pain in my right hip out of nowhere. I was treated in PT and by the GP for bursitis, which treatment increased my pain immensely. At the time, I was teaching art at 7 schools a week and was in excellent physical shape. I had to cut back then cease exercising, which increased stress- and pain.
. . . . . . .

I got a message from my primary care doctor saying my hip is bone-on-bone and I needed a total hip replacement- but was too young.

I saw two different surgeons and the first one said to wait as long as possible to have the surgery. . . . .

I decided to get a second opinion and found a surgeon who does a high number of THRs every year at a hospital with great success rates for THRs.

The second said I am a good candidate for the anterior approach, answered all my questions, and felt right to me in his balanced approach of my age and the level of my pain and decreased quality of life. So I said, let's do it and told myself I could always change my mind.

I'm nervous and have moments of total overwhelm. I'm here. I still have moments of doubt over being too young. I also can't drive far, dance, sleep well, or climb the three steps to my front door without pain.

Nice to "meet" you all.

Abacus, don’t feel like you’re too young or your hip isn’t ‘bad enough’. I had my right hip replaced 8 years ago at 46, similar to you, bone on bone but still doing fitness and yoga. I was so glad I did it - I hadn’t realised how much the pain has been affecting me until it had gone! Since then I’ve taken up rowing, which I love. Now at 55 I’m booked in for my left hip - 23rd, same as you. I just want it done now.. You’ll be fine and back to your usual fitness regime in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abacus, don’t feel like you’re too young or your hip isn’t ‘bad enough’. I had my right hip replaced 8 years ago at 46, similar to you, bone on bone but still doing fitness and yoga. I was so glad I did it - I hadn’t realised how much the pain has been affecting me until it had gone! Since then I’ve taken up rowing, which I love. Now at 55 I’m booked in for my left hip - 23rd, same as you. I just want it done now.. You’ll be fine and back to your usual fitness regime in no time.
Hi, surgery day twin! It was strange to be told I'm not in enough damage and too young.
Thanks for the encouragement and best wishes for the big day.

Tomorrow is the day to stop taking any blood thinners. I was reading just now and it suddenly hit me that I might be reading the end of this book post-surgery, which just feels weird. Everyone says I'll feel better but the pain I know is familiar. Although it's taken a turn for the worse, hurts all night long.

Hello @Abacus :wave:
Well...tomorrow is your big day. I hope you’re feeling at peace and ready to roll.
I‘m excited for you to enjoy the wonderful results this surgery brings. You’re going to love it.

Will look forward to following your healing journey on the healing side where we can leave you Recovery Guidelines and support and encourage you as you regain strength and mobility without the horrid pain of a deteriorating hip. :happydance:
See you on the bright side soon! :SUNsmile:

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny (recovery) side when you are up to posting. Soon, no more bone on bone pain.

:wave: @Abacus wanted to stop by and wish you the best tomorrow on your surgery. Try to get some rest tonight, tomorrow is the start of getting your life back. That bone on bone pain that you know will be gone. Drop us a line on the recovery side when you're feeling up to it tomorrow or the next day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks