TKR Muldoh’s one year old TKR!

@Muldoh I'm about to have my second knee demolished so I can be better too. Aug. 20th, the date was changed on me. My Dr. Wanted tons of PT with my first one, he told me no PT this time unless he doesn't like my progress. He feels since I've been through one I'll exercise as I should. He's correct but I'm still going to ask for a few sessions and here's why.. I think correct techniques when exercising is important so I want reinforcement there. I definetely want gait guidence. I also felt the massage was helpful and would like help if I need it. Would your Dr. Ok a few sessions for you? Since you seem tetative maybe they could help. Reassurance is a good thing and I guarantee you'll like the massage.

@amynewleftknee Yes, we are in the same place! And you are right in that it can change from hour to hour. I think I need to learn to knit, so I can at least feel that I am doing something and not just sitting around. I’m sure that’s where some of the depression comes from since I’m so used to being on the move. And thank you for the positive thoughts. On some days I can feel that way too, but today just wasn’t one of them. Hopefully tomorrow may be better! My mother was fond of saying “This too shall pass” so when you said that it really made me smile :)

. He's correct but I'm still going to ask for a few sessions and here's why.. I think correct techniques when exercising is important so I want reinforcement there. I definetely want gait guidence.
@Starsfan22 I agree that a bit of guidance could be helpful! I’m so unsure as to how to do anything so I was relying on google which I know is not the best way. Luckily I found this site which has been very beneficial. And the gait is of importance to me as well. I’ve been limping around with a bad knee for five years so I want to be sure I haven’t forgotten how to walk properly! I’ve been working on heel to toe but wonder if there’s more I should be doing. I’m thinking I may call the office just to get some feedback since I don’t have my next appt until mid September. And the idea of a massage sounds wonderful. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your surgery!!

6 weeks today!! While the struggles are still real (pain, stiffness, swelling), there were actually a few times during the last few days when I wasn’t thinking about my knee. That’s a major step for me, and I am trying to hold on to that as real progress. Otherwise, my days pretty much run into each other...a shower, then ice/elevate, a few chores around the house, then ice/elevate, a little exercise, ice/elevate, make some dinner, ice/elevate. Definitely Groundhog Day, as one of you mentioned already… The perfect reference ;)

The nights continue to be difficult. It’s so hard to get comfortable and settle down, the sheets and bed clothes aggravate the knee, it aches off and on, and I think sleeping in the same position is really taking a toll on the rest of my body. Because of neck and back issues, I’ve always been a side sleeper so I find I can only sleep on my side with the surgical leg on top cushioned between a pillow. I have tried sleeping on the other side with the surgical leg on the bottom, but I’m wondering if this is bad for the knee? It definitely hurts so I wouldn’t be able to do it for long but at least it would give me a change in position to ease up the rest of my body. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

As for pain, I’m still taking 1000 mg of Tylenol four times a day, with an Advil or two thrown in on most days. This has been my schedule from the second week on as pain meds just didn’t agree with my system. I have cut back on the Advil a bit because I was afraid that it could be impeding my scar healing (at six weeks, still have a little scab left in the center)

Another question I have for my BoneSmart friends is about steps. I live in a traditional colonial, with lots of steps between the first and second floor, and at this point, I usually go up and down about 6 times a day. I’m still taking them one at a time (up to heaven with the good foot, and down to hell with the bad, lol ) but wondering when I should be able to do them the way I used to.

As I mentioned before, my OS did not recommend formal PT so I’ve been doing everything on my own. I did find an article online with step up exercises using a small step first. I actually have a 5-6 inch step on my deck so I’ve been practicing with that. I have tried to do the regular steps, but there’s still quite a bit of pain and I find I’m pulling myself more with the railing then using the knee. Should I continue to push through that to get there, or just keep my little step up practice going for a while longer?

Also, I’m using the exercise bike about 10 minutes a day, hoping it helps to keep the knee loose with range of motion, and also strengthen the rest of the muscles in my legs which have gotten really weak through this process. Is there any other recommendations for exercise that I should be doing? Although I am thankful not to have a PT pushing me into things I’m not ready for, I do miss having regular guidance, and I still sometimes worry that my progression will not be what it should (although not as much as before thanks to all of you!)

One last question... Has anyone had trouble with hair loss? I’m guessing/hoping that it’s from the anesthesia and surgical trauma and that it will only be temporary. But I really have noticed a lot more hair in the sink lately! As if everything else wasn’t enough!

Just so good to hear other people’s stories. I agree about recovery getting old.... I’m in my 4th week- and it is getting better- but still any activity more than usual and I’m swollen and in pain. I go to the post of other on the site just for conformation I’m not crazy.... My doctor is no help at all - that’s for sure- so it’s BoneSmart that is my resource. Thanks for being there

@Susu123 Totally agree...Confirmation that we are not crazy is huge!! It’s really easy to become so inwardly focused and lose perspective, and hearing other people’s stories brings me back to earth. Not to mention the forum moderators are extremely helpful and instil confidence. Good luck with your recovery!

I wouldn't worry about how to do the steps. Do them the way it doesn't hurt. That's what I did. Then one day I realized that I just went down those steps in the normal way! I did steps the 'baby' way for over 25 years. When I first realized I walked down those steps like an adult I hollered with joy. But, sometimes I find myself going back to do them the old baby way for no reason. Old habits are hard to break!

It sounds like to me you're recovering use of your knee just right. I think if you can just try and forget about what you should be doing and do what your knee function allows you'll be fine. If it hurts, your knee isn't ready, so wait a week or more and try it again. I didn't take PT either and just did what I could when I could.

Thanks @sistersinhim! Your reinforcement is helpful since I do get caught up in thinking about “what I should be doing” Especially when I read all the threads about PT and Rom. I have no idea what mine is, except it seems like I can put my leg out completely straight, and other times I find myself sitting with my leg back beyond a 90° angle. I hope that’s good enough

That sounds great! Besides, the numbers aren't what count, it's what you can do. Function is much better than degrees in ROM!

Hi everyone! 6 1/2 weeks out, and still feeling so exhausted. Just a small bit of activity makes me feel weak and even a little bit breathless and lightheaded. To be honest I haven’t been doing much except lying around, and since I don’t do Formal PT there’s no scheduled activity time other than taking care of myself and mild chores around the house. I’m wondering if I should push myself a bit more to build up muscles and energy levels. I also wonder if anemia could be an issue as some of my symptoms could be classified as such, including headaches. I don’t take pain meds other than Tylenol and occasional ibuprofen. I also realize it could be a bit of depression thrown in too, as some oh you have warned me about and sleeping soundly us still not happening. Just so hard to sort all this out! Has anemia been a problem for others after TKR? And are there certain foods that you would recommend to combat this? I hate the thought of taking iron supplements since I know what they do to my system. Thank you for any and all responses!!

This energy drain chart will show you what's going on with your body after this surgery. You can't exercise to get your energy back. It takes time. You need to rest as much as you can. Doing your daily activities is all you need to do the rehab your knee. I think you are doing just fine.

@Muldoh I Am 9 weeks post-op and just walking upstairs to bed is exhausting for me so you are not alone in the energy drain department.:flabber:

@sistersinhim Thank you! Sometimes it’s just so hard to be patient. I wish I would have been better prepared from the OS and the literature they gave me to read. But if I had the cold hard facts, I might have chickened out

Thanks @Dizzy! I’m sorry you are also so exhausted. But i appreciate your reply because it does help to know I’m not alone in this. I just bought some vitamins, so I’m hoping that might help a bit!

You wrote that you think you might be anemic. You can always start with eating some iron rich foods.
Here is a short list from the Mayo clinic: This would be generally healthy anyways especially for recovery from major surgery when our bodies get drained due to all the healing they have to do. You can also consider a nutritional supplement if it is something you think would work for you.
Foods rich in iron include:
  • Red meat, pork and poultry.
  • Seafood.
  • Beans.
  • Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach.
  • Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots.
  • Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas.
  • Peas.
Unfortunately there is no quick cure for the tiredness. Our bodies do some much healing that it takes a toll after this major surgery. Sometimes it is hard to remember that it is major surgery since we are out of the hospital so quickly. Time and rest does work to get us through this stage of recovery.

Thanks so much @leejaa. I appreciate the list of foods. I will focus on adding them to my diet, which to be honest has not been the healthiest since I had surgery...Lots Of takeout and fast foods, courtesy of my sons that hate to cook! I was also thinking the extra salt in that takeout might even increase swelling in those angry tissues!

Maybe you can find some restaurants with healthier choices for your sons to pick up food or talk them through making a big pot of soup on the stove or crockpot. Also maybe get them to throw other easy crockpot recipes together. Have a peaceful day.

Hi everyone! 6 1/2 weeks out, and still feeling so exhausted. Just a small bit of activity makes me feel weak and even a little bit breathless and lightheaded. To be honest I haven’t been doing much except lying around, and since I don’t do Formal PT there’s no scheduled activity time other than taking care of myself and mild chores around the house. I’m wondering if I should push myself a bit more to build up muscles and energy levels. I also wonder if anemia could be an issue as some of my symptoms could be classified as such, including headaches. I don’t take pain meds other than Tylenol and occasional ibuprofen. I also realize it could be a bit of depression thrown in too, as some oh you have warned me about and sleeping soundly us still not happening. Just so hard to sort all this out! Has anemia been a problem for others afte

"Taking a shower should not make me feel like I'm training for the Olympics!" Drives me nuts!

I was anemic prior to my surgery so the Dr put me on iron supplements. Be warned, the combo of narcotics and iron pills will do a number on the bowels! :headbang:

@WhenImOld yes! A shower is a major production! thanks for your advice.

So today I am 8 weeks post-op. Although I’m not where I thought I would be at this point, I am finding that eight weeks is better than seven weeks! I find it very helpful to look at the photo that you posted about recovery... The expectations, and the reality. I actually took a screenshot of the photo, and look at it frequently. It helps to keep me grounded, lol. I’ve also come up with some new adjectives to describe my knee. Our family has been watching the great British baking show a lot during the last few months, and I now refer to my new knee as claggy and stodgy. Still not exactly sure what those words mean, but they kind of feel right when it comes to this knee, which is still stiff, sore and clunky! I feel it with every step, although pain in general is better than it was. On a good day I’ll get by with two Tylenol in the morning and Two Advil later in the day. On other days I might pop an extra dose of Tylenol. Sleeping also seems to be a bit better, although I do wake up a few times stiff and sore from sleeping in the same side position every night. And icing and elevation are still my best friends.

My scar is not that pretty yet, and in fact I still have a tiny, tiny scab right in the center which I assumed would be completely healed by now. I guess I’m just slow. It does seem kind of raised and purple when I’ve been on it a lot, but I guess that’s just par for the course. I also noticed that I have a lot of swelling the longer I’m on it, especially on the outer side right above the knee. I’m wondering if a compression bandage when walking would be good for it? I wouldn’t use anything until the scar is completely healed and that little scab falls off. But just wondering if others have found that helpful. i’m still taking the steps one at a time, but I’m able to ride the exercise bike longer, about 15 minutes a pop every day, and my overall stamina and endurance seems to be better. I am lucky to not have to go back to work until October 1, so I am hoping to be ready for it. It’s funny, but when I realized I had 12 weeks off I thought that would be more than enough time. Now, on my bad days, I really fret about it not being enough!

Attachments

• CA291173-6BD7-459C-8C8F-82261DB1AC5C.jpeg
    CA291173-6BD7-459C-8C8F-82261DB1AC5C.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 239

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009