THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

@Schaargi Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks! I’m so glad that your quads are finally waking up even if it gives you “niggly-wigglies” elsewhere. Blessings for continued good healing. ❤️

Today I am at 8 weeks and not significantly improved since my 6 week appt. except for my long arc quad exercises (I'm quite pumped about that.) My pain has increased in my hip flexors and glutes, although my PT did some dry needling yesterday on my hip flexors and I think it improved the pain. I also called the surgeon's office and they okayed an increase in Tramadol.

Part of my pain is anxiety over returning to work. I just found out my job will change drastically this year and I am so sad and disappointed and stressed that I am suddenly starting a new job that I didn't even apply for and didn't have any input in. I am a school librarian (for 3 more days) and they are moving me to the classroom where I will teach full time because they need more teachers to fit a modified COVID schedule. I was shocked to find out.

My surgeon is reevaluating me for work in 2 weeks, right before the kids come. I want to be a team player but I'm not sure I am physically or mentally prepared for the school year, in particular planning for teaching full time with no set curriculum.

Sorry to be negative. I need to vent. The school year is looming.

@Schaargi, this is not about team playing right now for you. If you don't feel mentally fit for the job, then don't do it. I mean, yes. Finding a new job will be troublesome, as it always is. But I think it's unfair all around to just make you a teacher when your job previously did not involve this. I'm really sorry to hear that. There's no excuse to do this, COVID or no COVID.

Wanting to be a team player does not mean sacrificing your health and recovery. That is quite a change and the demands on you will be harder. You need to make sure you have a good recovery since that hip is part of your life for a long time. Many doctors will say you can return if you think you are able to - so think hard if you can handle it or want to at this stage of recovery. It is hard to return to work to our usual jobs because we get tired out but to have to adjust to something completely new just adds to the mental tiredness. The extra stress from this change which was without your input is very hard and stress does not help with our recoveries or our immune system to resist any virus that might be floating about. I am sorry you have this extra stress on you at this time. Do what is best for you for the long term to be healthy. :console2:

That’s a rough one. I’m so sorry about your job situation. Let’s just add a little more stress to an already stressful situation. I agree with others that you are the only one who can advocate for you. You don’t sound ready to take this on especially with the change. I don’t know your situation but I would seriously consider/investigate my options. I wasn’t ready to go back at my original return date. My OS was very good in trying to support me in the time I needed for recovery which got me at least the 12 weeks but when my FMLA ran out, it was back to work or find another job. Hard facts of life. My boss was great about phasing me back in or I don’t know what I would have done. Perhaps an educator member can chime in with some helpful suggestions. In the meantime, vent away. We all understand. ❤️

@Schaargi oh how :tantrum2: can we get. I think Leejaa made a very important point about all the stress possibly compromising your immune response. That would be the zinger for me.

I don't know how your district works, but it seems that some which were intending to go back in person have recently shifted to virtual. Maybe we can hope for that for you. :console2:

Looming, uh ... yeah. Do "they" know that, at best, this will be physically difficult for you? Sigh.

This sounds like the worst kind of workplace ... :censored:. Sometimes teachers are unionized. Can your union help? Do you have long term disability ins that you could claim on for the Fall semester?

Or ... will covid close the schools anyway so that this will be annoying but in the end, you'll be teaching from home? And what does "no set curriculum" really mean?

I would think that librarians would be even more necessary during remote learning, to teach the kids how to actually learn from online resources ...

Thanks, @cstinchcomb, @zauberflöte, @Hip4life, @leejaa and @Ava J!

Unfortunately, this is something that happens in education-- I had a friend who had been a 4th grade teacher forever and the day before school started he got moved to teach 5th grade.

The principals know I'm hurting but I think they feel desperate, too. Apparently, they have considered many options and this is the one that they feel is best. I asked to work from home until the kids come and they were ok with that, but offered a wheelchair for me after that (Aug 24).

Our administration is pretty adamant about opening in person. There is only a slim chance that we will go remote. The Union is fighting hard, but there are also teachers who want to go back in person. It's a mess.

So I'm working from home now, trying to get the library ready to open. They will have a clerical worker run the library.

I need to wait it out and see what might change. I probably need to clarify exactly what will be expected. I know I am not able to teach right now, and dont think a miracle will occur in the next couple of weeks. I just need to stay patient and calm right now so I can continue healing, and then talk it through with my doctor.

Thanks for listening (reading). You guys sure have some entertaining emojis!

I’m sorry you are facing this change in the midst of recovery and Covid. I hope the next two weeks bring increased strength and stamina and everything works out for the best.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind in all. Please keep us posted.
@Schaargi

Here's my 2-month update.

Last week, my PT tried dry needling on my painful hip flexors. As she told me, it was sore the next day but then I definitely felt the difference. She did another round on Thursday and I was feeling great on Friday but might be having a slightly delayed soreness today. Not bad, though. She told me to try some gentle heat on it. I iced,this morning and tried a warm compress this afternoon. Neither seemed to make a difference. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Today I rode the recumbent bike (super slow, no resistance) for 10 minutes twice, and went on a 12 minute walk. I'm still super nervous when I'm out in public-- afraid of being bumped or falling over. I know I will get more confident as time goes by.

Not much more to report. Hope everyone is doing well!

Being in public with people moving about can be nerve wrecking a bit. I took my cane in public for a while as extra protection and balance in case. Did not really lean on it much but it was there to give people warning and to balance me when people were too close or little kids running around in the grocery store.

It is very exciting to get on the exercise bike again after surgery. I felt like a celebration that I could do the motions without pain and do something normal again. Celebrate your bike ride and have a great day.

Honestly, @Schaargi, this is really great news and it sounds like this was an excellent week. I'm so glad that your PT has some innovative tools in their bag, ready to help you. Your patience with all of this is inspiring. Take it just slightly slower than you think; I am rooting for no more setbacks for you.

And I hope your work situation sorts itself out; it sounds like you are used to how all this works anyway. Thanks for teaching, another underappreciated -- and so important -- line of work.

Hello Schaargi,
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re feeling even better today since your dry needling, recumbent bike and walking sessions.

Using the cane until you’re feeling more confident is wise since it serves as a signal for others to keep a safe distance. Hope you you had a nice weekend. Enjoy the week to come!
@Schaargi

@Schaargi eeeep dry needling :bolt: A PT barre-mate described a case she'd recently had, and it gave me the heebie jeebies! However, the result was de-twisted scar tissue... so perhaps I have to follow in your footsteps....

I used my cane exactly as Leejaa did-- a signal and a .... weapon :eyebrows:

@zauberflöte, the dry needling didn't hurt at all. It is a tiny poke when the needle goes in and then a weird feeling when she pulls it out, but nothing to be afraid of!

I didn't get quite so much relief this time, but I think she will try again tomorrow. I gotta get this hip flexor calmed down! :fingersx:

@cstinchcomb , I dont know that I have a choice about being patient. I'm really quite discouraged that I have had this setback, and I know my physical therapist will feel the same.

Three weeks ago, I could get into bed without artificially lifting my leg up. Now, my hip flexor hurts so much I can't lift my foot to put on my slipper. I know my anxiety about work is probably making my pain worse. I know that I could manage my anxiety with yoga and swimming, so I need to find alternatives.

I am working from home until I get evaluated by the surgeon on the 19th. This sounds weird, but I don't want to disappoint him, either. He's so earnest and really wants me to feel better.

I calculated my 12 minute walk from yesterday and it was less than a quarter of a mile round trip. That's the same as it was 3 weeks ago, except that it took 15 minutes before.

I read somewhere that part of the treatment for nerve damage includes "expectant waiting." I think that's pretty descriptive.

Thanks again everyone for being there. I don't know what I would do without this forum.

I haven't been to the grocery store since March, but for hip no 1. I took my crutches with me every time for the first six weeks, worked great at keeping people away from me, for safety.

I think that once you annoy one of those tendons, it just takes a long time for it to recover. And as your nerve wakes up, maybe that makes this all worse.

I know that I could manage my anxiety with yoga and swimming
I so understand this. You might try the alternating nostril pranayama, making yourself do it for say 5 minutes (it's hard for me to settle into any pranayama from a "cold start"). I find that one very head clearing and calming. If you can figure out how to get in and out of the pool, then I'd say just pull, forget the water walking.

And with that hip flexor, if you can spend more time completely flat (I know!!) that might help. Ice your back if the front doesn't seem to work.

Hugs on all fronts.

@zauberflöte, the dry needling didn't hurt at all. It is a tiny poke when the needle goes in and then a weird feeling when she pulls it out, but nothing to be afraid of!

I didn't get quite so much relief this time, but I think she will try again tomorrow. I gotta get this hip flexor calmed down! :fingersx:
Ha! That's not how she described her case! The needles were so twisted up that she had to wait 15 minutes for them to unwind themselves! :yikes: I sure hope you will find relief soon. All this tension is SO not good for you.

Ah @zauberflote, I can imagine the needles getting twisted in a mangled scar. Scar tissue is so tough! I'm glad my PT coached me in scar massage so I can hopefully avoid getting all bound up. It actually feels pretty smooth and supple except for a little bit at both ends. I must say I have a physical therapy rock star! :egypdance: (This is the closest emoji I could find to indicate a rock star. At least it's dancing, right?)

The needling brought some relief today and I'm grateful. Hopefully it will continue tomorrow. Feeling much better emotionally today. Thanks again for your support.

@cstinchcomb, excellent suggestions all around! Pranayama, horizontal couch potato and pulling.

I don't have an adequate pool at the moment, so breathing it is. My PT office holds yoga classes for injured clients on Saturday and my PT thinks I might be ready for them soon. I can do a down dog and a weird little modified sun salutation with no lunges. :bow:

I'm feeling better emotionally today. Thank you so much!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom