Knee Infection* Zingers - after 2 surgeries

Recovery has been soooo slow and now I have taken a large step backwards! Last week all of a sudden woke up with lots of pain and could not walk! Anytime I put pressure on knee walking or even standing had shooting pain. Called Dr., prescribed Tramadol and to stay off it and ice and elevate. Seen Dr. on Tuesday 08/04 and saw PA. He said that he thinks it is scar tissue from both surgeries and recommended deep tissue scar massage at PT. No exercises as ROM is great. Going today for first massage at PT, will update when I get back. My question is - do you all think it is time for a second opinion or does this all sound normal?? I am really getting discouraged and so wish that I never had the surgery!! Sorry that I sound so whiny! But I just want to walk again!!

Last week all of a sudden woke up with lots of pain and could not walk!
I’m sorry you have additional pain. We would think by 5 months post op we’d be past that point.

However, technically, you’re still not quite (but almost!) halfway healed, so your knee can still be sensitive to an activity it doesn’t feel ready for.

Did you do anything different a day or two before you woke up with this current pain? To be honest I’m not aware that scar tissue can cause sudden pain. Scar tissue sometimes seems to be the go-to answer when they don’t have an answer.

Sometimes I'd wake up in pain and couldn't figure out why. I assumed that I had slept on it wrong or moved my knee in my sleep that caused it to fuss. That can be what happened to your knee.

Saw Dr. on Tuesday 08/04 and saw PA. He said that he thinks it is scar tissue from both surgeries
Why do so many PTs and doctors want to blame everything on scar tissue, which is actually the very rare adhesions? I've had 5 previous surgeries on this knee, which is full of scar tissues but no adhesions.

At less than halfway through this healing journey, your knee will hurt and swell off and on. Ice and elevate as much as possible to get that new pain down. It's possible that PT will just aggravate your knee, so make sure they don't hurt your already painful area.

There is nothing different that I did before this pain started. Dr. again took xrays and said everything looks great. He put me back on a walker as he said not to stress the knee any more. Thank you for your response!!

to Sistersinhim - I do ice and elevate quite often during the day. I have stopped all PT on recommendation from Dr., only starting with the massage for the scar tissue today. Doing light stretching exercises that I had gotten right after first surgery. Hope something helps! :sad:

Back from PT and therapist thinks there is Patella tendonitis. Did massage and manipulation and recommended, heat - scar manipulation - ice. Also do very light bike exercise.

Back from PT and therapist thinks there is Patella tendonitis. Did massage and manipulation and recommended, heat - scar manipulation - ice. Also do very light bike exercise.
I feel your pain @Meme273! I had bilateral TKR on July 6th. My left knee is coming along really well with range of motion, pain reduction and strength. But my right knee is really lagging behind, and most things make the back of that knee ache. My therapist figured out what is happening on Monday. I have hamstring tendinitis, and it is messing everything up! So now in addition to all my other exercises, I have several new ones that specifically address the tightness in my hamstring. I can already tell after just a few days that they are slowly making a difference. I hope the treatment plan your PT comes up with works for you!!!!

Update on TKR - This is a long update, but DO NOT want this to happen to anyone else!!!

After many appointments with surgeon (could only see PA every time) and diagnosis of - scar tissue, then pez bursitis, then after MRI (which was done end of August) patella tendonitis was his final diagnosis. Rest and no PT was 6 weeks I was in Extreme pain and called office. They could not get me in to see my Dr. until 10/20/2020, only the PA who I had been seeing all along. I decided to see another Dr. who got me in immediately having so much pain (I could not walk or stand without crying!!)!! He took the time to LISTEN and sent me for bloodwork saying that he was 100% sure that I had an infection. Bloodwork came back with rates off the charts showing infection. Was then scheduled for surgery on 10/15 to remove the implant and had a spacer placed. I now have a picc line with high doses of antibiotics that I administer 2x daily for 6 weeks. Then after infection cleared up another surgery to replace implant. Now I am hopefully on the road to recovery after this long journey. Can not wait to be out of pain and able to walk unassisted!! When you know that something is wrong, DO NOT let Dr. or PA tell you differently!!!

I am so sorry you ended up with an infection but thank God you found someone who would listen to you and find what your problem is. Persistence pays off! Keep us updated on how you are.

Hi all!! Been awhile since I posted, but had many issues, so concentrated on that! So here goes for my update!!
Had surgery Oct 15th for spacer and had picc line. Was on Vancomycin and Cefapim. Well, had reactions to both antibiotics and was back in hospital on 10/31 with chest pain and very bad rash. Was determined it was from antibiotics. Now know that I have a great strong heart with all the tests that were done. Was put on 2 different antibiotics which worked great for me. Infection cleared and final surgery was Dec 28th. I am now 7 weeks out from surgery and healing is going very slow. My ROM is 108 and 5. Sleeping is terrible as the pain at night is unbearable. Dr. and PT said that this is normal for having 4 surgeries in under 10 months. I take a Tramadol at night along with Ibuprofen and Gabapentin. No meds are needed during the day. PT is going very slow with me and he backs off if I experience any pain night of PT.
I can not say how happy I am to have found this site as I am not sure I could have made it this far without it. I still have times of saying I wish I had never done this and wondering if I will ever walk again. Although I know that it is going to take time. My surgeon said that if it normally takes 3 months to get off of cane, it will probably take me 6 months. So every few days I come back to the site and have to realize that what I am going through is completely normal and not to freak out when I get pain!! I want to thank all of you who have commented and helped me through this. I have a long way to go yet, but know that I will eventually get there!! :) :-) (::thankyou:

Hi @Meme273 i hope you're getting along all right now.
We're trying to update your signature and I'd appreciate it if you can help us.

From reading your thread, I think you had these recent surgeries;
Stage 1 Revision (Hardware removal and insertion of antibiotic spacer) on October 15, 2020.
and
Stage 2 Revision (New hardware insertion) on December 28, 2020.

Have we got that right?
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

@Cells
Yes that is correct with the surgeries!

I had an appointment with OS on March 24th and they determined that PT was too much and too fast. I am now seeing PT once a week for massaging soft tissues as they think the muscles are "angry" and don't want to work. I have lost ROM on both and now less than 80/8. And back on waker. PA keeps telling me that since it was 4 surgeries it will take double the time to start feeling better. Had anyone else gone through this?? I still have lots of pain at night and do not sleep very well. Most nights end up with me crying that all I want to do is walk with no pain. Have had many surgeries before with no problems, until now!!! Ugggghhhh, wish I never had this to start with!!!!!

Thank you for your recent surgery dates. I added them to your signature for you.

Your poor knee has been through so much in just a year. It will take a while, unfortunately, to settle down. Please don't try and do too much. Ice and elevate as much as you can. I found ice to be a great pain reducer. As long as you have a cloth between you and the ice pack you can ice as long as you want. I iced the whole time I was sitting or lying down for hours at a time. This really helped to reduce the pain and swelling.

@sistersinhim Thank you for all your help! It really helps mentally to know I can come back here when feeling like I will never walk again! Patience has never been one of my virtues but I am slowly learning it!

I had an appointment with OS on March 24th and they determined that PT was too much and too fast. I am now seeing PT once a week for massaging soft tissues as they think the muscles are "angry" and don't want to work. I have lost ROM on both and now less than 80/8. And back on waker. PA keeps telling me that since it was 4 surgeries it will take double the time to start feeling better. Had anyone else gone through this?? I still have lots of pain at night and do not sleep very well. Most nights end up with me crying that all I want to do is walk with no pain. Have had many surgeries before with no problems, until now!!! Ugggghhhh, wish I never had this to start with!!!!!
Oh what a difficult journey for you....while I have not had as much as you the sleepless painful nights with tears are still so fresh. I too wonder if this will be worth it after a year...keep posting. We get it. Hugs.

You are very welcome! It is a blessing to try and help those here.

I had an appointment with OS on March 24th and they determined that PT was too much and too fast. I am now seeing PT once a week for massaging soft tissues as they think the muscles are "angry" and don't want to work. I have lost ROM on both and now less than 80/8. And back on walker. PA keeps telling me that since it was 4 surgeries it will take double the time to start feeling better.
You and your knee have been through a lot and your PA is right. It is going to take a long while to come back to normal, but you will do it. Your soft tissues are wounded and they need gentle treatment, so they can calm down and heal. I hope the massage helps - make sure it's gentle, won't you?

Don't worry about the loss of ROM. It's temporary and you will gradually regain ROM, as time passes and you continue to heal.
Things are going to get better, I promise you.

I'm going to ask @PegGar16 to come and talk to you. She's been through a knee infection and she knows what you're going through.

Hello everyone! Had another appointment with surgeon yesterday. I have been losing extension and knee is bent and swollen. Also getting terrible muscle spasms in hamstring. Was given steriods, muscle relaxer and had bloodwork to rule out infection again. I am praying that it is just inflammation and not infection again. So now waiting for results and another appointment on Monday. I truly need some prayers for this!!:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back