THR 3 years post OP left THR issues

I can imagine.. it seems like it just won't ever improve. but it honestly does. I will give you a hint that you can research your state's regulations on the CBD and see what is allowed for you.. :thumb:

Please refresh my memory, have you asked your OS about your pain levels at 7 weeks?
I think just the lengthening that was done can be causing you some of that pain, I would guess that would mean the soft tissues are very annoyed, and honestly, sitting at your desk for long periods of time probably isn't helping things.. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hang in there! I'm sorry about your pain and frustration.

I see the surgeon next week for a FU. Swelling is mostly gone. Still having issues with weight on my leg/hip with pain which makes me favor that side. Im better than I was before the revision, but no where near where I need to be. I did do the research on CBD and I am trying it although I dont see much difference at all after taking it two weeks.

Lots of questions for the doc. Im still in PT but honestly I dont think its helping much. Trying to stay positive here and hopefully this will slowly (and I mean like a snails pace) get better.

Thanks again for the positive support I really need it right now!

Aww, we are happy to provide support! Many of us have been through some tough times, and can relate.
Will be very interested to hear how the follow up visit goes. Glad you are working on staying positive, it just may be a slow recovery. Hey, as long as it recovers, right?

Please keep us posted.

Saw my OS this morning. He has extended my PT another month, and gave me a steroid shot to help with pain. We will see if and how long that helps. He did some testing on my legs to show me the difference between my right and left hip flexor strength and it really hit home. Im very weak still on the left side even tho its been two months. Apparently 3 years of limping around has really taken its toll on my left flexors and cant be rehabbed overnight. DANG. He is convinced this remains my issue. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ill stop whining for now, and hope that I see a little more progress in the coming month. He also prescribed some heavy duty Motrin in lieu of the Percoset. I am nervous about the kidney problems I hear people get with extended use of ibuprofin. I was gobbling this for about 6 months or more last year....I want to go to my family doc and get some blood work done before I start to make sure everything is ok as I have had some swelling issues and retaining water that I have not had before in the last few months. Thanks again all!

Hello @okiediver Thanks for the update, it’s good to hear from you!
Happy Two Month Anniversary, since your release procedure.
I hope you begin to notice a positive result from the injection soon. Maybe up the elevation as a remedy to the swelling? It is worth a try, if you’re not already.
Take good care and stay in touch.

It can be so frustrating and depressing when you are here A and really want to be there B with your body C standing in the way. Sounds like an algebra problem. Lol. I wish it were that easy to solve, however. I can so relate. It’s hard not to look back on “what if’s” but let it just give you illumination about where you are and the work that needs to be done. It has come home to you (like it did for me) that this is going to take more time than hoped for. It is extremely hard putting things on hold that you had looked forward to doing now or in the very near future. Keep them as motivation knowing you will get there eventually. Your body can only do so much at a time and heal well. Give it that chance and try to be patient with it. Trust me, it will be so worth it. I’m here rooting for you! ❤️

OK folks got real eye opening news at PT yesterday. I am still struggling with pain when putting weight on my left leg and cannot do much in terms of stepping and walking still without meds. My left hip drastically drops when doing these things when both hips should be even (like when stepping up on a curb). It takes everything I have to keep straight when doing these so I have been using a mirror to really monitor myself.I do feel like my muscles supporting my hip are getting a little better.

Anyway, the ladies at PT have been bothered by my slow progress and pulled out the OP notes from my surgery in June. Turns out the OS completely cut the tendon which they are telling me that explains a lot.

I meet with my OS today, so I will be asking lots of questions. Im frustrated he didnt tell me this as Im assuming the recovery from complete vs partial is very different. I just need to know WHERE THIS PAIN IS COMING FROM.

Also doing some research this morning to find someone elses story about a complete release to compare notes. If you happen to know a post I would love to see it.

Thanks again for all the support I really need it!

Hello @okiediver Thanks for the update, it’s good to hear from you!
Happy Two Month Anniversary, since your release procedure.
I hope you begin to notice a positive result from the injection soon. Maybe up the elevation as a remedy to the swelling? It is worth a try, if you’re not already.
Take good care and stay in touch.

And the injection.......I will not be doing this again. 3 days of intense headache and flushed face for one day of relief. I wont do that again!

@Hip4life I see yours was a complete which sounds like it was a relatively quick relief. Im so confused lol.

Oh boy, I bet that set you back, hearing that!
If it helps, several members have done well with a full release, maybe when he was inside he decided that was the best option? But it's a shame he didn't explain it to you. :console2:
What you are describing sounds like you are struggling with a Trendelenberg gait, which comes from weak muscles in your gluteal muscles? I wonder if PT has tested for that?
I'm wondering if it's two separate things going on?
Hopefully you will get some answers and some reassurance today at your appointment.

I also react to steroid injections like you did.. headache, included.. The flushed face is very uncomfortable, and only a day of relief is really lousy!

Good Morning,
I’m sorry you’re still struggling and had to suffer through the miserable reaction you had from the injection. Thankfully you’re meeting with your surgeon today, the medical professional who can answer your questions best and help you move toward a solution that will bring you relief. Please let us know how it goes. Hope you get to feeling better soon. :console2:
@okiediver

@okiediver Holy cow! I’m so sorry you are going through this.You must be beside yourself with frustration and questions. I do hope you get some answers today. It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story if you don’t mind sharing. Yes, I had pretty much instant relief. The release was at lesser trochanter so no PT prescribed and immediately back to activity as tolerated. My muscles were a little weak because I hadn’t been able to use them correctly for a while and I had had a slight ongoing limp before surgery. All that disappeared with resuming my exercise routine and building strength in the now supporting muscles. So I am befuddled by your situation but, hello!, no surprise you have no strength in that left hip flexor. It’s not attached to anything!
I know this is not how you expected things to turn out but hopefully with the right answers and PT you will still get there. Keep us posted. ❤️ Pat

Good Morning!

Yes very frustrated to hear that. I did have a long talk with him Thursday, once he got in there he made the call to do a complete.

And yes, Trendelenburg gait. He is revising my PT to involve TENS, to hopefully wake up the muscles that dont seem to be responding. I am also in a hip brace now, which forces my left hip to stay stable. I look like a storm trooper in this thing but Im willing to try anything at this point. I wore it all day Saturday at home (I dont dare go out in public like this) and when I took it off I was hurting in a different area--Im hoping that means it indeed is working some specific muscles.

He is still 100% convinced that it muscle related and reminds me I was down and limping for 3 years before anything was done about it. I know it takes time but this is insane!

He is also sending me for a back MRI just to rule out a nerve issue coming from my back.. I have met all my medical deductibles for the year so I told him if there is any doubt at all I WANT TESTS! I have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Ok, newest update. MRI showed severe arthrosis on the left side facets in L1-L5. Dural sac compressed which means the nerves are crowded and compromised. All this indicates my problem is compressed nerves which causes pain. Mine is mostly in the thigh, inner thigh and sometimes outside thigh. Im getting sent to Back doc and they will do injections to confirm suspicions.

Any one been thru this ?

Oh, I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this. I know I have deteriorating back arthritis. It hasn’t caused anything significant...yet. My OS said he could refer me if needed. At least you have an answer. Blessings this gets all worked out for you so you can get on with life. ❤️❤️❤️

@okiediver if you're talking about injections in the back/spine to help diagnose referred pain from your spine then yes, I have.

Not sure how your back doctor will do the injections, some just use the lidocaine to see if it lessens or stops the pain. If it works it doesn't last more than a day or two. Purpose of not using the steroid in this injection was to not hold me back if spine surgery was needed. Most surgeons want at least 3 months between the steroid injections and surgery.

The pain management doc had updated xrays as well as having been treating me for some time prior to this injection. He wanted to try this to confirm what he saw in xrays and knew of my history. After that last injection he sent request to my GP to refer me to a Neurosurgeon.

Other docs will do the full on injection with the steroid/ cortisone and most include some lidocaine to help kick start pain relief. They usually try this for a while, especially if you get relief. They may also recommend you go to some sort of physical therapy.

@Elf1 , I have the choice of light sedation vs local, Ill choose the light sedation thank you very much! My appt is 10-16, Im anxious to get this done as its been 3 years with this pain and it has greatly affected my gait. Im assuming you have had relief from this? There will be 2 injections they are telling me. Im thrilled to have another source identified that could be the culprit,

Thanks again for the support!

@okiediver if they're going to be nice enough to give you sedation all the better. I went to one group for injections in my Sacroiliac joints that offered sedation but I couldn't always get a driver so had to do without. It all depends on the doctor/practice if it's offered.

Hope it gives you some relief.

Pat,
I just reread your post here and I noticed that you said here that your OS cut BOTH the MUSCLE and the TENDON at the Lesser trocanter. I was always under the impression that in a full or total release of the psoas at the lesser trocanter they only cut all the tendon but leave the muscle intact.

Did I read your post correctly this time ? If so: you had BOTH the muscle and tendon cut at the lesser troch and you only have minor weakness? ...that is really great if it works...It's good to know that if they cut at LT both muscle and tendon that you only have hip flexor minor weakness (sitting putting socks on, getting in car,lifting leg by hand , etc.)...is that true?

will be waiting for your reply...best JWS... ( @Hip4life @SaraK @Mojo333 @okiediver )

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jws. If the tendon is completely released (removed) from the lesser trochanter, technically so is the muscle which is attached to the tendon. The muscle wasn’t cut, just the tendon. The muscle just atrophies from not being used anymore. Other muscles then take over its functions. Gotta love the body’s redundant yet flexible functioning.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks