TKR Second TKR

Kagabor

Country
United States United States
Hello, I have been reading the forum and finally decided to post. I had Right TKR on July 01. I am young for this but when your knees are shot and all other things have been done it is time. I am glad my Dr. Was willing to do the surgery as usually they don't do under 50 and I am 39. I will be having my left knee done asap as well when I am ready. Everyone I work with regarding my knee seems surprised my Dr. agreed. But MRI’s don’t lie And either does my history.

I was unprepared for the initial pain and ended up 3 nights in the hospital instead of the one. But, once the right medication was prescribedI feel like I am doing well, maybe over doing?

I started outpt PT days after and am currently at 0 extension and about 115 ROM. I have to go back to work on Tuesday so hopefully that will not slow my progress. I am not using anything to walk unlessI do not know the terrain or where I am. Reading these forums I realize that I am doing pretty well considering. I am trying to be patient but its not my nature, I keep having to tell myself to chill out :). My Dr. did warn me about hiw tough this was and even said that younger females seem to struggle the most. So far I feel I am doing well. :)

when your knees are shot and all other things have been done it is time
Correct! No point in hanging about
I will be having my left knee done asap as well when I am ready
The sooner the better IMO, so FULL recovery can start.
I started outpt PT days after and am currently at 0 extension and about 115 ROM
That's brilliant so early in recovery
I have to go back to work on Tuesday
Goodness, can you negotiate more time? BoneSmart normally recommends 12 weeks before return to work!

My own experience:

My recovery diary http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-diary.12548

My ownROM, Extension and Quad exercises http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159

And some general reading

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I wish I could have more time but I am a teacher and summer is over. However I anticipate remote learning again soon so I may be working from home. Overall I feel it will be okay, I will be able to sit a lot so that shouldn’t be an issue. The biggest issue I think I will have is that I still get tired really easy, so not having time to nap will be my biggest struggle.

You really are going back to work a bit early. It's not just the work, but all the additional things you'll have to do. This article mentions that:
Phased return to work

You are doing very well, but complete recovery from a knee replacement does take a full year, no matter how young and fit you were before the surgery.

Try to make some accommodations for your knee when you're back at work, such as time to rest, elevate and ice your knee during your lunch break. It would be helpful if you can be excused playground duties, as well.

Unfortunately, I do not have an option regarding work. I have to go back. I teach high school so luckily no playground duty. I plan on icing my knee and elevating. I do for-see working from home, however, but that is yet to be determined. I have already been doing much of what the article lists, I expect I will be tired and I luckily have help at home with all the “home” things. I have a pretty good routine for getting ready in the am so hopefully it all works out well.

, I will be able to sit a lot so that shouldn’t be an issue.
Sometimes sitting can be just as bad as standing. Be sure to get up and walk every hour or so. Also, if you can, figure out a way to ice and elevate while you're sitting. This will help to keep the swelling and pain down.

It sounds like you are doing OK. Working from home will be a blessing and will help your knee to heal more before you have to work outside the home.

I had a very hard time sitting with my feet on the floor for months. Try to find something to put your leg up on while sitting. Almost any height is better than nothing.

I agree with what has been said. Figure out a system to put your leg up while you're sitting. And have ice packs handy. You will likely by lying down and elevating the second you finish your classes. Don't plan on doing any cooking or anything in the evenings.

Welcome to the forum! I too am fairly young to have had tkrs but here I am lol. I had my right knee done at 40 and left done at 43, wish I had left done much earlier but kept putting it off due to life. I am almost 5 weeks out now.

I understand about having to work but please talk to your boss and let them know you are fresh out of surgery and may need more time to recover through out the day. Hopefully you are remote and can stay home and modify as needed. I work in schools too, so I know how that goes. Also in school to be a teacher.
Good luck in recovery!

Hi... I have been a relatively young patient as well... 46 and have had both knees and both hips replaced.

Sounds like you are doing amazing!!! I’m quite envious of your ROM, as this last knee is being very stubborn.

Going back to work is rough but I get it. I started working from home at about 3 to 4 weeks post op for each surgery. I was able to sit however and where ever I felt best at home... and often in bed! I returned to the office around 7 to 8 weeks post op, with the exception of this round- which wasn’t decided by me, of course.

So much great advice in the previous posts, so I won’t say much more than this- find the right balance of sitting and moving! I’m rooting for you!

Thanks everyone. First day was not too bad I was able to prop my knee as needed. I found that if my knee stayed in one position too long it would ache but it was bearable. Found out I will only be working two days a week at school and the rest at home, I will be much more comfortable.

I will admit I feel like my range of motion is stuck right now and had not progressed. However, I have to keep telling myself I am doing well its been 4 weeks.

On my CPM machine I am able to comfortably do the highest setting which is 120 however not on my own and not without pain. I am not sure why i can do be do it with the machine with only stiffness??? I can also rode my stationary bike and am doing so with no resistance, I do this for very short (10 min) intervals and am able to go around front and back without pain. I have found that i get very stiff if I do not work on bending my knee several times a day.
So overall going well, other than my own over achieving head. Why I feel I should have better ROM???? I dunno.....

Hi... I have been a relatively young patient as well... 46 and have had both knees and both hips replaced.

Sounds like you are doing amazing!!! I’m quite envious of your ROM, as this last knee is being very stubborn.

Going back to work is rough but I get it. I started working from home at about 3 to 4 weeks post op for each surgery. I was able to sit however and where ever I felt best at home... and often in bed! I returned to the office around 7 to 8 weeks post op, with the exception of this round- which wasn’t decided by me, of course.

So much great advice in the previous posts, so I won’t say much more than this- find the right balance of sitting and moving! I’m rooting for you!
When did you have your first replacement? I will have the other knee when ready, thankfully my hips are good. Did you have a CPM machine?

Welcome to the forum! I too am fairly young to have had tkrs but here I am lol. I had my right knee done at 40 and left done at 43, wish I had left done much earlier but kept putting it off due to life. I am almost 5 weeks out now.

I understand about having to work but please talk to your boss and let them know you are fresh out of surgery and may need more time to recover through out the day. Hopefully you are remote and can stay home and modify as needed. I work in schools too, so I know how that goes. Also in school to be a teacher.
Good luck in recovery!
Hi, my boss was pretty empathetic, he woll work with me as needed. I will be working from home 3 days a week it sounds like with an occasional 2.5 days once a month. The days are everyother ao that will be helpful too!

What are you planing on teaching? And, where (state, etc)?

My history:
Right TKR - May 12, 2020
Bilateral THR - April 15, 2019
Left TKR revision May 16, 2017
Left Patellofemoral PKR May 12, 2015

I have a lot of genetic issues - runs strong in my family. I am grateful that I never had an issue with doctors telling me that I was too young!

I haven't used a CPM machine. I never had any issues with ROM for my left knee, and it has come as a surprise that my right is struggling as much as it is. Time, patience... I am trying to remember that!!

@Kagabor, if you look down at the bottom of everyone's post you'll see their signature that lists all their surgeries. For example, here's my earlier post to you with my signature area circled.

1596041801932.png

Some doctors like the cpm, others don't. I had one but didn't use it as much as they recommended. I liked to start it a bit lower than where I had left off and work "up" a few degrees (as tolerated.) But I viewed it as a tool to "loosen up" rather than something to use for hours at a time.
My guess is my OS sees it as a way to keep people from just lying around not moving at all. I doubt that's actually a problem for most people.

I am glad your work days ended up being mostly at home. I am sure that will make a huge difference. I am just planning on gen ed in elementary for now, leaning towards 1st -3rd grades mostly lol but we will see what happens. I still have 3 years to go and figure all of that out. I am in Alabama, enrolled in an online program through a state school.

@Kagabor thanks for sharing your details. It’s helpful to read. I’m having tkr 8/25. When in your recovery did you get on your stationary bike ? Luckily despite not being able to walk far I can ride my stationary bike and I love it being the only thing I can do.

I was able to do the recumbent bike about 10 days. My spin bike about 3.5 weeks to fully go around. I have to have the seat high but i can pedal.

So I am doing well but have a question regarding ROM. My knee hurts when i bend on the backside. Is that normal? It doesn’t feel swollen but thats where the pain is when I bend. I think the tendons are just super tight?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks