TKR Trying to make a decision on knee replacement

Newbie60

Country
United States United States
Hi I’m new here. I had a torn meniscus and fractured tibia about a year and a half ago. During surgery they found a good amount of osteoarthritis in my knee. They cleaned it out but pain came back pretty quick. I’ve done injections, stem cell injections so far but the swelling a pain is pretty unbearable. I am overweight by about 50 lbs so I’m sure this contributes to the extreme swelling. But it seems like I can’t do much exercise and I eat well so I’m thinking my next option is the replacement. My doctor said that would be next step a few years ago but felt I was to young at the time I’m 60 now and thinking maybe it’s time c
my question is if I could lose 10-30 lbs would it be worth waiting on surgery , would this make the difference. Havexi done all that I can do I guess.
THanks for any advice

Welcome to BoneSmart @Newbie60 !
my question is if I could lose 10-30 lbs would it be worth waiting on surgery , would this make the difference.
Well it never hurts to get the weight off. Problem is it is almost impossible to lose weight when you are in pain and needing TKR.

Does your surgeon have a problem with your weight? If not, I would go for the surgery. Life is too short to live in pain. Once that knee is healed you can focus on regaining your mobility and losing weight. It's all about quality of life!

I agree this is how I’ve been feeling. With covid It seems like I’ve gotten worse to some now. Feels like a loosing battle at times.
I go and see my surgeon this morning and I think I’ll have a decision then.
also has anyone had any good results with just buying s good stationary bike and if yes which one did they get? Since the gym has reopened they took out many of the machines and its nearly i,possible to get on a bike I find. I’ve been walking but I find that really swells the knee. Thank you

But it seems like I can’t do much exercise and I eat well
It depends on what you mean by 'eat well'. I rather like the work of Michael Pollan, in particular 'In defence of food'. For exercise, you can swim or do upper body weight training, neither will strain your knee.
I’m 60 now and thinking maybe it’s time
I was 59 when mine were done
if I could lose 10-30 lbs would it be worth waiting on surgery
Losing weight to get a healthy Body Fat Index and Body Mass Index is always a good idea, but personally I wouldn't put off the surgery. Plenty of very heavy people have successful recoveries.
just buying s good stationary bike
If you already have a normal bike, I suggest a 'static trainer' rather than a stationary bike.

I have a very similar story!
I was 51 when I had an injury - malfunctioning treadmill - tore my meniscus and badly bruised - had arthroscopic surgery about a year later which greatly accelerated the osteoarthritis in my left knee - decided on TKA at 53 - been overweight my whole life - that’s why I was exercising on the treadmill! So, I was younger than you & that was 16 yrs ago - My surgeon told me if it was affecting my quality of life it was time - age doesn’t matter. That was 16 yrs ago & that knee is ‘the good one’ now - surgery scheduled for this coming Monday for the right knee - no injury, just wear & tear & lots of osteoarthritis - same surgeon & hoping for same results.
Lots of work after, but cannot wait to start doing it & be able to live my life again!!

Lots of work after, but cannot wait to start doing it & be able to live my life again!!
Not necessarily lots of work after. The hardest thing for many people is finding enough patience to accept that recovery from a joint replacement takes a long time.

My first knww replacement was at 58 and second at 59 all in the same year. I, too, had been waiting for a while but my life had shrunk due to pain with walking. I was more than 50# overweight. My surgeon was not concerned so neither was I. I am not saying that losing weight is not helpful but do not wait for it. I had good recoveries with both knees and I cannot say that I worked especially hard. Slow and steady has been my recovery mantra and it has worked for me.

I did buy a stationary bike and I bought a recumbent stationary bike because it is much easier and safer to get on and off and provides back support which I find helpful. I have a Schwinn 240 Biofit and it has served me well for all my recoveries and afterward. I have had it for about 7 years and I am sure there are sleeker and more interesting models out there now. I have also noted that some people have checked out Craig's list or other sites to pick up almost new exercise equipment.

I hope you get a date soon and can get rid of your pain.

Not necessarily lots of work after. The hardest thing for many people is finding enough patience to accept that recovery from a joint replacement takes a long time.

You are correct, Celle, probably not my best choice of words - you need to plan on giving yourself time - at least a year, tho it’s a lot shorter time to know you’ve made the right decision and you see & feel it getting better & stronger everyday, but the healing & the strength do take time & patience.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom