Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

It is PegGar16, looks like it has metal supports on the side.

That one did. It had hinged joints on the side that were set at a certain degree bend. I had other issues besides the infected knee prosthetic and had a few different surgeries done. I was in that brace for 6 months then went to a toe to thigh straight plastic one that looked like a cast. Couldn't move the leg for 5 months before the final surgery. I know things feel miserable right now but they will get better. Baby that leg, don't do more than you absolutely have to. The only PT I had was to make sure I was mobile and could up and down with out problems. I was never keen on using ice and elevating but I swear by it now. I would sleep with my ice pads wrapped around the knee (husband didn't like that much..lol)

That one did. It had hinged joints on the side that were set at a certain degree bend. I had other issues besides the infected knee prosthetic and had a few different surgeries done. I was in that brace for 6 months then went to a toe to thigh straight plastic one that looked like a cast. Couldn't move the leg for 5 months before the final surgery. I know things feel miserable right now but they will get better. Baby that leg, don't do more than you absolutely have to. The only PT I had was to make sure I was mobile and could up and down with out problems. I was never keen on using ice and elevating but I swear by it now. I would sleep with my ice pads wrapped around the knee (husband didn't like that much..lol)
Physio have been round and are going to fit one like yours.
How difficult did you find not putting weight on that leg because your brain tells you that's what you do.

@PegGar16

20200724_133511.jpg
Got another brace today much better.​
How did you get on putting them on with strapping them over clothing I guess you have to readjust the straps everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks much better. I wore my brace straight on the skin. Otherwise it would slip. I live in Phoenix, Arizona so I can wear shorts a lot of the year. I wore a lot of sweatpants during the winter or baggy pants.When I was partial or no weight I used crutches. Partial weight wasn't too bad, almost tip toed with that leg and only in enclosed spaces in case I had to grab something.

That looks much better. I wore my brace straight on the skin. Otherwise it would slip. I live in Phoenix, Arizona so I can wear shorts a lot of the year. I wore a lot of sweatpants during the winter or baggy pants.When I was partial or no weight I used crutches. Partial weight wasn't too bad, almost tip toed with that leg and only in enclosed spaces in case I had to grab something.
How much bend did you get with it the physiotherapists seem obsessed about getting a good bend but it's still badly swollen.

Don't worry about the bend right now. You have to worry about healing. Those of us that have been in immobilizers for 6-8 weeks with no bending at all, came back fine once we could start bending. Time has nothing to do with it, the healing and getting the swelling down does. Tell physio to back off and you control everything.

Those of us that have been in immobilizers for 6-8 weeks with no bending at all, came back fine once we could start bending. Time has nothing to do with it, the healing and getting the swelling down does. Tell physio to back off and you control everything.
I totally agree I don't know why they have this obsession about bending.

They are mistakenly taught that in their training. I don't know why, but it's the same here in the US as well. Some people can tolerate all that pushing and do just fine, but it's not necessary and can definitely be counter productive for people like you with swelling you're trying to reduce. Be strong and don't let them push you beyond mild discomfort when you bend or extend. No pushing on your knee every. It's best if you make the motions yourself so you can control what happens. If the therapist lays the line on you about a "window of opportunity" to gain ROM, just smile and say you understand, but here is how you plan to do your therapy. Then do it your way.

Is it normal especially after what my knee has been through it feeling warm it's only on the inside of my knee

Yes, that's perfectly normal under the circumstances you're going through. You're still on antibiotics, aren't you?

Yes, that's perfectly normal under the circumstances you're going through. You're still on antibiotics, aren't you?
Yes iv through picc line and quite a few pain meds.
Just had another covid test which is horrible.
Have to have one every 4 to 5 days in hospital just to add more misery.

Oh, I feel for you with those nose swabs. So sorry to hear you have to go through that.

How is the brace working for you?

It's not the nose swabs so much it's when they wrap it around your tonsils makes you gag.
I am getting use to putting it on and taking it off.
Not sure how I feel about the crutches yet been using a frame.

Can't they numb your nose before the swab? I've heard is really painful. Too bad there isn't a blood test available for it since you'll be having so much blood drawn anyway checking out your infection.

I had one of those braces for 4 weeks. I was under strict instructions that it was to stay on unless I was in the shower. I was then told to not even think of showering more than once every few days. Ugh. But frankly I was in bed icing and elevating the entire time so it wasn't a big deal. I did get up and move about the house, all with a walker. I split a pair of sweat pants up the seam if I felt I wanted something long on.

Use the walker as long as you need to, to be safe. When you then use the cane the same thing. One day you'll go across the house and realize you don't have it! I carry a cane in the car and carry it on the oh so rare occasion I go out.

I had one of those braces for 4 weeks. I was under strict instructions that it was to stay on unless I was in the shower. I was then told to not even think of showering more than once every few days. Ugh. But frankly I was in bed icing and elevating the entire time so it wasn't a big deal. I did get up and move about the house, all with a walker. I split a pair of sweat pants up the seam if I felt I wanted something long on.

Use the walker as long as you need to, to be safe. When you then use the cane the same thing. One day you'll go across the house and realize you don't have it! I carry a cane in the car and carry it on the oh so rare occasion I go out.
@eaglemom
Good idea I will split an old pair of joggers.
How did you get on getting in and out of the car been thinking I may not be able to.

To come home from the hospital I was in the backseat of the car. It was my right leg, so I was 'helped' into the back right door and sat on my butt. Then nurses slowly lifted & held the braced leg while I scooted across the seat until my leg was inside of the car.

When I had a recheck of the knee I did the same thing. Not pretty nor easy!!! But certainly achievable. Unless it was the to surgeons office I never got into the car - had no desire to. The key is having someone hold the leg steady as you slide into and across the car seats.

My husband put a small blanket on the back seat. I sat on the blanket and used my arms and good leg to pull myself farther into the car. He went to the other side, grasped the blanket and pulled me to the other side. Then I propped my leg up on pillows and ice. Not pretty, but we got the routine down quite well. :heehee:

I was also in the back seat for any traveling. I have no problems bending my knee. It took some work but I can actually squat down to play with the grandson.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom