THR Sitting comfortably

Dogmother

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Having had hip replacement 15th July 2020 so 7 days tomorrow. I was in hospital until Sunday as blood pressure and oxygen levels low. Didn't get up for first two days
Suffering now with mainly knee swelling and tightness. Headache and panic attacks
Meds are Paracetamol x2 every four hours and ibuprofen three time daily and a blood thinner twice daily.
Would appreciate any advice please?

Hi @Dogmother and :welome: to the forum..

I'm going to leave you some really useful tips for helping navigate your recovery:
HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so much of that will help answer many of your questions... for the swelling, the more you can elevate and ice, the better. Many of us opted to ice for 40 minutes of each hour and it helps so much..ice is a natural anti-inflammatory and helps to calm down the irritated and ravaged soft tissues. That and walking is about all you really need to do for now.

It does improve.. it just takes time.

I'd love to offer you some other tips for helping your body with the swelling. It's not something that you do once and poof, things are better. But doing them daily can help quite a bit and it's relaxing to do. I tried doing them in the morning and at night before I went to sleep.
Swelling and inflammation is pain, so getting it under control will help.

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our venous system to help lymph fluids move.. our lymphatic system is a separate system. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

I hope all of this information isn't too overwhelming and hope you have a good rest of your day. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Thank you for advice. Much appreciated
The other thing is about elevation. How long can you elevate for and with knees bent??

:hi:Hello @Dogmother
Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip.
Which hip did you have replaced? If you leave the info below we’ll add it to the surgery date in your signature. Thank you in advance!

Sorry you had a bit of a rough start. If anxiety and panic attacks are something new to you, please speak to your surgeon, a member of his care team, or your PCP in case it’s an adverse reaction to current meds. If not, they may be able to prescribe something for you temporarily as a bridge until you’re feeling more settled.

Headache can be from the anesthesia and I’m sure it will ease. Knee swelling and tightness is very common. We advise you ice your knee right along with your hip and any other areas of discomfort. You can elevate each time you‘re laying down or reclining, as often as you desire.

Wishing you comfort and peace as you begin healing. Stop by anytime with questions or concerns, we’ll be here for you!

@Dogmother. Welcome to the forum. You asked about elevation and the best description is in the recovery guidelines that CricketHip left for you. This is the section:
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate

I hope this helps and try to read the other articles also as they are most informative. Wishing you a peaceful night.

Thank you that's excellent advice.

It's my right hip. I am not very good on my phone. So if I don't reply in the right place or you feel im am ignoring you I apologise in advance.
All advice just now is very welcome as I am not coping to well at all. Feeling sick continuously, does not encourage me to medicate. Not being able to shake headache and now diarrhoea!!! Oh my god what have I done

Feeling sick continuously, does not encourage me to medicate.
Ask for anti-nausea medication. Major surgery does have impact on many areas - not just your replaced hip.

Please call your GP about this continuing headache. And do mention what medication you are taking. Sounds like you might need your medication tweaked a bit.

Thank you I am on anti sickness tablets already! I am only taking Paracetamol and Ibuprofen so not sure what's going on. Never mind. Everyone's advice is very welcome and appreciated
I will call and speak to my GP again but in these odd times it takes all day to get through.

Are you taking your medication with food - especially the ibuprofen? What blood thinner are you taking?

Good afternoon Jaycey thank you for your reply. I am trying to eat something but feel so queezy etc it not easy. The blood thinner is apixaban 2.5mg one twice daily for 30 days!

Good Afternoon @Doglover
I‘m sorry you’re feeling so miserable.
I will make a suggestion because you are logged on right now and Jaycey has stepped away for a bit. I know, Jaycey, has recommended the nutrition drink Ensure in the past and if that sounds like something you could tolerate, please try it.

A few other options...maybe one will appeal to you -
Toast
Crackers
Bananas
Applesauce
Yogurt
Broth
Ginger Tea to settle stomach.

Eat something small every couple hours if you’re able.

Please try something, if you’re not already or you’ll have yourself in a cycle of fear to medicate due to nausea, then pain and stiffness not allowing you to be comfortably mobile. My heart goes out to you. I hope you’re able to turn this around soon.
@Dogmother

@Dogmother one of the common side effects of the blood thinner you are on is nausea. There are other options. Please call your GP ASAP.

I will ask thank you. Still unable to reach my Doctors surgery bee calling all day!

@Dogmother Try calling NHS 111. They may be able to advise you or put you in touch with someone who could address your medication.

Again Layla thank you for suggestions. Everyone is so very kind and helpful.
A friend has made me some gingerbread biscuits of which I pick at between med times. Its the only thing I can tolerate just at the moment. Highly recommend.
Very much appreciate your help

Yes I have tried 111 they have told me to contact my GP so back on the phone I have been, still no luck always engaged.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom