TKR How long to do Physical Therapy

@Toyon,
You'll notice that I have merged your latest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Toyon,
Add up the acetaminophen (Tylenol) in your oxycodone. If it works out to less than 4000 mg a day you can add additional acetaminophen for a total of 4000 mg per day. You may want to check with your MD or Pharmacist to be sure this is safe for you.
You can also call your OS or your primary doctor for a step down to Tramadol.

I did really well with Tramadol and Tylenol together. Here's a chart you can use if you change to the Tramadol:
The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

You and I were both June 16th. I'm taking one before PT and occasionally one at night for sleep, if I'm pretty sore. I'm actually refilling mine. I don't take them often but when I need them, I want them.

Hi, I just wanted to check in about pain. During the day, I use ice, Tylenol and Aleve and small amounts of oxycodone. I'm using a pill cutter to reduce the amount of oxycodone, and I use it before PT and during the night. I'm concerned about the pain and when it will end or get better. I'm waking up 4-5 times nightly and use CBD cream on my leg, which seems to help. I'm almost at 6 weeks and never expected this degree of pain for so long...do I just need to get over it, or is there a time when most people's pain lessens?

@Toyon - you will see that I have moved your post from KMLknee's thread to your own thread.

By putting the above post in her recovery thread, you were disrupting her thread, which should be about her own recovery.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this, your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.

How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?

Now, about your pain:
Yes, it will gradually get better.

But, I think you might still be doing too much PT and letting your therapists push you too fast.
You should never need to take pain relief so you can get through PT.

It's your knee and you need to tell your therapists you are going to ease off because of your pain later.
You don't have to push through the pain and there is no deadline you have to meet.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

While your therapists may not like you easing off, remember that this is your knee, not theirs, and you have the absolute right to say what happens to it.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year, so you have plenty of time for your knee to improve.

Hi, I don't find my name on the June thread...My tkr was June 16. The incision has healed but the area is very sensitive. I am uncomfortable with clothes rubbing over the incision. Has anyone found a way to manage this issue?

Wow. You have had quite a journey, and I’m learning from your story.
I am 9 days out- lots of pain after PT. Tomorrow - nothing and see if I can get back to some normal......Hope you continue to heal.

@Toyon
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Last edited:
Ask your surgeon or you own doctor/PCP if you can have a prescription for Tramadol, which is a useful "step-down" drug from the strong opiates. You can combine Tramadol with Tylenol, for very effective pain relief.
When the time comes, you will need to wean off Tramadol gradually. Stopping it too suddenly can lead to withdrawal symptoms.

Here are some suggested charts for combining Tramadol and Tylenol. The first one is for 4-hourly doses and the second is for 6-hourly doses.
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets 6-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

You and I were both June 16th. I'm taking one before PT and occasionally one at night for sleep, if I'm pretty sore. I'm actually refilling mine. I don't take them often but when I need them, I want them.
Hi @WhenImOld, my bilateral TKR was 7/6. When you say you’re taking 1 before PT and 1 at night, what pain med are you taking? Lots of us are in the same boat and are trying to figure out our pain med types and dosages as we taper off. I find it helpful to know what others are doing/taking. Thanks, and I hope you are improving every day!!!!

Hi @WhenImOld, my bilateral TKR was 7/6. When you say you’re taking 1 before PT and 1 at night, what pain med are you taking? Lots of us are in the same boat and are trying to figure out our pain med types and dosages as we taper off. I find it helpful to know what others are doing/taking. Thanks, and I hope you are improving every day!!!!
I take occasionally take one 5mg oxy before my PT and occasionally one at bedtime. These days, it's usually one at bedtime only if I've over done it during the day. I'm not going to pt anymore.

Hi, I'm wondering how long most patients continue physical therapy. I've finished five weeks of twice weekly sessions. My doctor wants me to continue to work on improving flexion and extension over the next few weeks and see him again. The physical therapy seems beneficial but I don't know how long insurance will cover it. Any thoughts?

@Toyon,
The June Sunbeam thread is for finding members who had surgery around the same time as you. Please post any questions or updates about your recovery in your own thread here, so we will have a complete record of your recovery to better advise you, and you will have a diary of your recovery.
How can I find my threads and posts?
Many members book mark their threads in their browser to help finding their thread.
Thank you!

Hi, I'm wondering how long most patients continue physical therapy.
Some people continue to go for months because they like it. Some people never go at all because they don't need it. It's an individual decision. I chose to never go after any of my 12 knee surgeries and I'm doing just fine.

Hi, I'm wondering how long most patients continue physical therapy. I've finished five weeks of twice weekly sessions. My doctor wants me to continue to work on improving flexion and extension over the next few weeks and see him again. The physical therapy seems beneficial but I don't know how long insurance will cover it. Any thoughts?
I had bilateral TKR on July 6th. This is my 4th week of PT. My surgeon orders PT in 8 visit blocks (2 visits per week), so I know I’ll get a minimum of 8 weeks of PT. At the end of 8 weeks, he’ll assess and see where I am and of course consult my insurance to negotiate coverage.

I actually enjoy PT. 90% of the time my knees feel better after my PT appointment than they did before the appointment.

I had in home PT for 4wks 2x/wk and then OP PT for 4wks with my first knee and it was fine. My home PT was not pushy since we had a discussion about this at the first visit. For my second knee I had the home PT, again non pushy approach with showing my some moves but not anywhere near pain and taking walks. I never went to OP PT for my second knee. I could do what I needed at home and all turned out fine for this knee also.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back