THR Arroyo65 Revision/Recovery

My surgery is set for later this week. I'm kind of nervous-at least with my hip replacements I knew what to expect(with the second one anyway). Also, the instructions from the doctor post-surgery call for PT 2-3 times a week. I told the nurse today I am no way, no how going to go into a rehab facility for PT 2x a week. First, because of covid. Second, because of covid and third-I won't be able to drive! Nurse suggested I find a virtual PT appt. online. I'm curious what exactly "toe-bearing only" means in terms of doing anything and everything. I think I had more post-op mobility with my hip replacements, lol.

Hi @arroyo65
What day is your surgery?
I'll be channeling some healing mojo your way.
You won't need that PT, in my opinion, as you can do some ankle pumps for circulation...and I'm guessing the Walker will be needed for a bit while on restructions.
Maybe @Diane60 has some advice about the toe touch activities...she is recovering from a revision also.

Hi @arroyo65
What day is your surgery?
I'll be channeling some healing mojo your way.
You won't need that PT, in my opinion, as you can do some ankle pumps for circulation...and I'm guessing the Walker will be needed for a bit while on restructions.
Maybe @Diane60 has some advice about the toe touch activities...she is recovering from a revision also.
Thanks! I'll take that mojo! My surgery is Thursday. Apparently I'll be on crutches, and the post-surgery rehab includes ankle pumps-also a ton of other things, especially after the first week. I'll see what they say, but I'm just not comfortable with being in a closed environment 2-3 times a week-not to mention I won't be driving. I did PT in May, twice a week, and while the workout was great, given what I know now there was a lot of huffing, puffing and sweating around other patients-and the place wasn't even completely open. Not worth the risk for me.

Good afternoon @arroyo65
All the best to you on Thursday. We’ll look forward to hearing from you once you’re resting back at home and feel like posting.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. :)

You don't need any of that grunt work for the first month or so, anyhow so good you have a valid excuse.
You can just do short walkabouts and for me, wiggling about and getting up and down was a necessity, not an option.
You'll do great.:ok:

I'm now two days post-surgery! My surgeon did a partial release; she told my husband that there was scar tissue in there that she got rid of in addition to releasing the tendon. There was mention made that if this didn't help, perhaps a cup replacement-but so far as I can tell now, I think this will make all difference: the rubbing/lifting pain is now gone! Only pain is the expected surgical entry points. I'm so excited! Fingers crossed this is it. One of the nurses said(either before or after the surgery-it kind of blurs together-you know how that is)"You've had a long road with this!" and I thought yes, I guess I have. In two weeks it'll be exactly two years since my first hip replacement-the hip that continued to give me trouble. I'd have been much more nuts and in the dark without your support and feedback here, guys. Thank you!

How awesome! Hoping this is definitely the fix you needed. :fingersx:. Keep us posted how recovery goes.

Hi, just catching up with your thread. I’m glad your surgery is over and I do so hope it fixes the problem. The crutches and PT recommendations are, of course, your OS’s protocols for making sure that the tendon has every chance to heal properly so you don’t have to go to revision. Do PT in a communication mode that you feel safe and don’t do anything that hurts. Walking is still a great rehab modality, as well. This is a little different than THR so I can’t say definitively you don’t need PT. I’m pretty sure that if I had had the partial release, I would personally have followed the crutch and PT regimen that the OS would have prescribed with modification as negotiated and allowed. Of course, totally your call. In any case, blessings for good healing and an end to your pain.

Well, I wrote on Saturday that my pain when lifting my leg was gone-spoke too soon! And am in all likelihood speaking too soon again, but of course I can't help but wonder what's happening. I've been doing the basic PT recommended my first week: isometrics, and stationary bike for 10 minutes with zero resistance...and I find that the pain is still there when lifting my leg, especially to get on & off the bike, or putting socks on or off etc. I'm wondering if it's simply that the "cut"/released tendon is now sore from the cut and just healing? I have my followup with the doc next week, but as it's worrying me(am I doing too much? Not enough?)I 've also left a message for her. I know nothing is sure thing, just wondering what's normal six days out from surgery. The released tendon would necessarily have some postop soreness, wouldn't it? What do you guys who've had it experienced?

I've been doing the basic PT recommended my first week: isometrics, and stationary bike for 10 minutes with zero resistance...and I find that the pain is still there when lifting my leg, especially to get on & off the bike, or putting socks on or off etc. I'm wondering if it's simply that the "cut"/released tendon is now sore from the cut and just healing?
Not a medical professional, but I say... too much too soon.
Incising the skin to cut into a tendon under anaesthesia. I think the first week could be for nothing but walk and not to put your leg/hip through any paces.

Yes, it takes that tendon a while to heal. Like with anything else, you might want to back off of the activity, rest, ice, and elevate and see if that helps. It’s probably telling you that it’s not ready yet. I was just sore from the arthroscope for a couple of weeks. I can’t imagine having had the tendon cut and surrounding tissues disturbed! I wouldn’t be checking if I could lift my leg just yet, either. Easy does it. Patience is truly a virtue here. ❤️

I tried stationary bike a couple of months after my first hip. I had anterior, so I think the flexors and all were stretched excessively. I and the bike parted ways after about 5 minutes, me in pain, the bike stoic about my departure... and sadly, I haven't gotten up the aerobic nerve to get on my real bike ever since!

Hello @arroyo65
Its been a month since your tendon release and I’m hoping it’s a Happy Anniversary!
Wondering how your follow up appointment went, if you care to share with us.
Wishing for you...strength and perfect healing. Enjoy the week! :)

Hello! and thanks for asking! I haven't forgotten about this forum, which has been so much help to me. At one month post-release, I'm still wondering what the eventual outcome will be-it's a work in progress.
I started outpatient PT two weeks ago(despite my coronavirus fears, the facility seems to be very good at observing safety), and it definitely makes a difference to my pain level. At my followup appt. the surgeon told me she did a partial release-all of the tendon, none of the muscle. She also said there was scarring in there she "cleaned up" that had happened thanks to the illiopsoas rubbing over that edge bit of protruding cup. Last night I went for a long(er) walk for the first time since surgery, and as with the PT, I find the occasional pain I still have in that area seems to disappear afterward. I'm afraid to jinx it by saying it's "gone", lol! But so far, so good. I see the doc again next week. Hope everyone is having a good week!

Last edited:
That is a great update. Yes, it is a work in progress. Just like THR, it takes some time to heal and get stronger. I just kept walking and stretching and slowly increasing exercise. I also kept icing and elevating whenever it hurt. I certainly identify with the not jinxing anything. You start to feel that way after your experiences. So far so good. Can you hear me knocking on everything wood around me? :heehee:

Hello, :wave:
You‘re welcome, thanks for responding!
It sounds like you’re doing well and enjoying progress while engaged with PT. Wishing you the best at your appointment next week. Please let us know how it goes, we’d love to follow you to your happy ending! :)
@arroyo65

:hi: Happy Wednesday! It’s been two months to date since your psoas release and I’m wondering how you’re doing? Hopefully all is well and you’re enjoying steady progress.
Let us know how your appointment went last month...if you care to share.
A great day to you!
@arroyo65

Hi all,

It's now been exactly 6 months since my partial psoas release. I'd thought about updating sooner, but the news wasn't great, and so I waited. I also had a followup visit with my surgeon scheduled for December and wanted to wait for that. So, what's happening at the moment is this:
I canceled my doctor visit last month due to the covid surge here in Los Angeles; I just didn't-and still don't-want to risk going into a big medical center where there's loads of people jammed into the halls, elevators, etc. They'd been doing a fine job before, but then, things were much less serious over the summer than they are now. The other reason I postponed is that my news unfortunately ain't great. I don't know what's going on in there, but most days, all day, my groin area feels the same as it did before my psoas surgery, with the slightly added issue of a small loss of "lift"-that I knew would be the trade-off. But what's depressing and frustrating is that after 3+ months of very good, very intense outpatient PT(that ended the second week of Nov), here I am still unable to lift my left leg into my pants or the car without help, still have pain. In my first followup with the surgeon it didn't seem this bad-and in fact there are times when it doesn't bother me as much to lift it-but the relief is temporary and sporadic. The doctor was so thrilled, and me too-and I wanted so badly for it to be "fixed" I think I just kind of ignore this constant struggle. But here I am, sick & tired of it. I'll go back and see her when this current covid surge is over(hopefully soon), but I can't imagine how she can help me at this point, and where I go from here. I've got to figure this is just the way it's going to be. Unlucky me. Can you tell I'm fed up, lol? I wish I had a more positive update.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks