THR THR scheduled for August 4th

lizard615

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone… I’ll be having total hip replacement on my right side in August. I’ve already had my left one done and my right knee. My pain in this right hip is so bad, it affects my lower back, buttocks, and down to my artificial knee. I said to my doctor “how could my knee hurt if it’s not real!” I’m walking with a cane. Anytime I put any pressure on my right leg it feels just so painful. Have you all experienced the same thing? I don’t remember the pain being this bad on my left side probably because I was under pain management and on some narcotics. Thanks everyone for your time and stay safe!

Hello and welcome back to Bonesmart! I think several of us return when dealing with another joint replacement. I had quite a bit of referred pain with my first hip. It’s pretty horrible, it builds and grows and travels deep into your back then ricochets done towards the knee and feet!
Glad you have opted to use a cane, it definitely helps and I found that applying ice packs multiple times daily really helped me to manage.

Good luck with waiting for your surgery day to arrive, hopefully you stay around with us here, and let us know how you are coping.

Here’s some reading for you. I hesitated to leave it here, as you’ve been through several surgeries already. But in my case, reading them before each surgery helped. I hope you think so, too. :SUNsmile:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Hello and welcome back to Bonesmart! I think several of us return when dealing with another joint replacement. I had quite a bit of referred pain with my first hip. It’s pretty horrible, it builds and grows and travels deep into your back then ricochets done towards the knee and feet!
Glad you have opted to use a cane, it definitely helps and I found that applying ice packs multiple times daily really helped me to manage.

Good luck with waiting for your surgery day to arrive, hopefully you stay around with us here, and let us know how you are coping.

Thank you so much! Yes I will stay here. I just don’t understand the pain, when I had my first hip done I don’t remember this much pain. But like I said I was on some heavy duty medicine. And I’m not doing that with this hip. I’ll be around and thank you so much!

With both my hips the pain would radiate down my femurs. With my right I had pretty bad shin and foot pain pre-op that has gone now that it's been replaced.

Hi and welcome. Your pain description sounds very much what I went through with my second hip. I, too, had the knee pain and my knee was also replaced. The whole leg hurt most of the time to the point that I could barely walk even with a cane. I noticed at home I would pivot on my good leg when turning to limit using the leg. Also tended to drag it around the house - I have laminate floors so with socks it made it easy. It was very worrying at first that my replaced knee was hurting but then realized with the pain extending down the leg it was all related to my hip. I found a heating pad on my hip, butt and down the leg would help a tiny bit and at least make me feel comforted. I think it helped the leg more to relax it than the hip.

The best part was of course being done with the surgery and my first stand up which was getting off the stretcher in my room after recovery. All the leg pain and knee pain was gone and never came back.

Try to take it easy on that hip while you are waiting for surgery.

Well, you've probably heard this, but it's true! No 2 hips are the same, not even in the same body.
Mine were the perfect example of this. In fact, many members have proven this over and over again.

I hope you can manage the discomfort and pain adequately until your surgery date..:praying:

Wow! And thank you so much. I feel so much better, Knowing that no two hips are the same and that you have felt the same pain that I am feeling now. I’m to the point where I can barely walk with a cane. I have a walker, but I’m leery about using it. Thank you so much again and I will try to take it easy on this hip.

I have a walker, but I’m leery about using it.
Why are you leery of using your walker. My left hip was horridly painful pre-op. My OS advised using anything that helped me take the weight off that side. Use your walker if it helps. It's only about a month until your surgery date.

Also tended to drag it around the house - I have laminate floors so with socks it made it easy.

Oh leejaa, this struck me as so funny for some reason, :rotfl: It’s pathetic, but the way you worded it :heehee: I’m glad we can find humor here sometimes.

@lizard615
Welcome! I see you’re no stranger to joint replacement. I wish you comfort as you await your August 4th date and look forward to following your healing journey. Won’t be long now.:)

Also tended to drag it around the house - I have laminate floors so with socks it made it easy.

Oh leejaa, this struck me as so funny for some reason, :rotfl: It’s pathetic, but the way you worded it :heehee: I’m glad we can find humor here sometimes.

@lizard615
Welcome! I see you’re no stranger to joint replacement. I wish you comfort as you await your August 4th date and look forward to following your healing journey. Won’t be long now.:)

I drag my good leg around. Is that normal? I feel like I can lift the bad leg up but I have to drag the good leg!

@lizard615

I drag my good leg around. Is that normal? I feel like I can lift the bad leg up but I have to drag the good leg!
Well, you've probably heard this, but it's true! No 2 hips are the same, not even in the same body.
Mine were the perfect example of this. In fact, many members have proven this over and over again.

I hope you can manage the discomfort and pain adequately until your surgery date..:praying:

I did not know that. But it makes sense! I didn’t think this hip could be any worse than the previous hip!

Is this a new symptom for you?
I wonder if right now, your good leg (left one) is simply fatigued from picking up the slack from ailing, Righty, and all will level out after surgery?

Is this a new symptom for you?
I wonder if right now, your good leg (left one) is simply fatigued from picking up the slack from ailing, Righty, and all will level out after surgery?

I think that lifting my good leg put so much pressure on my bad leg that I’m afraid to lift it. I am doing much better with the Walker.

Glad to hear that you are using the walker and it is helping. At this stage and having to wait, anything that takes pressure off and offers a bit of relief is great.

@lizard615 I had pain from the right hip from below the shoulder blades down to the ankle sometimes. Unrelenting-- and I was taking max doses of ibuprofen!

You mentioning dragging the good leg reminded me-- I did nearly do that for the bad right one. It hurt to swing the left through to step forward, so the right sort of ruled every move, and I'd almost swing the good left around rather than bring it through. How quickly I have forgotten all that pain!!!

@lizard615 I had pain from the right hip from below the shoulder blades down to the ankle sometimes. Unrelenting-- and I was taking max doses of ibuprofen!

You mentioning dragging the good leg reminded me-- I did nearly do that for the bad right one. It hurt to swing the left through to step forward, so the right sort of ruled every move, and I'd almost swing the good left around rather than bring it through. How quickly I have forgotten all that pain!!!

I can’t wait for this to happen...Groin pain, back pain, I don’t know how everybody does it with just ibuprofen. I’m on some pain meds, but not narcotics. Thank you so much for your response!

I have a walker, but I’m leery about using it.
Why are you leery of using your walker. My left hip was horridly painful pre-op. My OS advised using anything that helped me take the weight off that side. Use your walker if it helps. It's only about a month until your surgery date.

I think that I may have replied!? I’m just trying to get used to this community… But anyway I have been using the walker and what a difference. Thank you for that!

@lizard615 you did reply to both of us separately, yes. This platform performs beautifully compared to some I am on, but it is so whizz-bang bells and whistles that it does take a while to get oriented.

I remember my first web search for "anterior hip replacement", before I even had an OS lined up. The first hit was a thread on here! So I visited, and promptly got so lost in all the possibilities that I wound up opening each new thing in a new tab, so I wouldn't lose track of the source. Thirty tabs and my laptop ready to crash lol. I'm slightly better at the navigation now!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson