THR Non-operated hip causing problems

Sunbeam62

Country
United States United States
I am thankful to be in day 5 after surgery. I have been doing my exercises as prescribed and thankful my family has been here to coach. Other wise it is tempting not to do them. I have taken my first 2 showers and washed my hair yesterday and today. I have been only in about pain level 5or 6 when walking and 1 in bed. I found out I needed back scratcher! The pain meds can make a person itchy! Also taking the laxatives is really important. Not much appetite and sleeping a lot. Thankful for my husband and daughter helping me. They also lift my legs into bed. I honestly could not do this alone. My leg feels like a log. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all!

Hi @Sunbeam62 and:welome: to Bonesmart.
Can you let us know your surgery date and which hip was replaced so we can add it to your signature?
Congrats on your shiny new hip.:happydance:
Don't worry about the "exercises" this early in the game but sweet to hear your family us being supportive.
Some ankle pumps and short treks to bathroom and when you just need to get up is enough at less than a week out from this surgery.
All in good time.
Here are our recovery guidelines and we are glad to share this journey with you.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Healing hugs...

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:
That log leg feeling is real, isn't it? Even though I had read about it on this forum before my surgery, I wasn't really prepared for just how log leggy it was really going to feel.
Don't worry if you aren't up to the exercises daily.. Hips really don't need a lot of exercise to get better.. I focused on walking hourly and doing my feet and ankle pumps and did the exercises only if they were bearable.
I loved my back scratcher and I was one of the itchy ones, too. Sometimes I would move my ice pack to an itchy spot for a few minutes to ease the urge to scratch.

You sound like you've had some great help and that is wonderful way to get started on your recovery journey.

I look forward to reading your posts as your recovery progresses. @Sunbeam62

Home is the best place and you are lucky if you are able to sleep a lot. How wonderful that you have such wonderful care takers at home. Sweet dreams.

Day 28 an my new hip is doing really well. I have been doing all of my exercises as directed two times per day. About 2 weeks ago I increased my walking distance and started using a cane for walking inside. I also cut out Hydrocodone and only was taking Tylenol. My non operated hip also has severe arthritis and once I started to up the walking this hip really started to hurt. I got a Cortizone shot about 10 days ago and it only worked for a few days. I have had to resume my Hydrocodone for the left hip joint pain. I also use heat then follow up with ice. I am trying hard not to become too disgusted with my problem and will be so glad to get the left hip replaced. I am thankful that my surgery went well. My right hip feels like new! I may have to use my cane for the left and hope my right replacement doesn't get too tired when walking. I will be glad to get off blood thinner this week so I can take Ibuphrophen to ease the pain.

@Sunbeam62 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions pertaining to your surgery and updates on this thread. I changed the title for you.

:hi: @Sunbeam62
I'm glad your new hip is happy and hope you can get lefty replaced soon so you can be back to a healthy active life
I used heat on my arthritic hips also as it did seem to soothe them a bit.
Sorry the shot didn't last longer...I know I tried everything under the sun to help with mine including powerful meds, to no avail.
Hang in there...
Hope your other date will be not too far away.

I have been doing all of my exercises as directed two times per day. About 2 weeks ago I increased my walking distance and started using a cane for walking inside. I also cut out Hydrocodone and only was taking Tylenol. My non operated hip also has severe arthritis and once I started to up the walking this hip really started to hurt.
I'm not surprised your non-operated hip has started to hurt. It's bearing an extra load at the moment, as your new hip isn't yet up to doing its full 50% share of walking.
In addition, you've increased your exercise and reduced your pain killers.

Since replaced hips don't really need a lot of exercises, I suggest you reduce those and cut back your walking. Spend a bit more time resting, icing and elevating - you could also try icing your bad hip as well as the new hip.

Your new hip will still get all the exercise it needs, just with your normal activities of daily living, so don't worry that you'll be putting its recovery at risk by stopping the exercises.

Thank you for all of your helpful replies. I am doing more Physical Therapy for my arthritic hip now. I was told to switch my cane today as it needs more help than my new hip. At least my incision is really healing up and I can be with our dogs more. We have been keeping them away from me in fear that they would jump up and tear the incision. I really have missed normal life with them! I sure is nice having everyone else cook and clean! Don't miss that too much!! I have a question: How do I stay on my own thread? I could not figure that out.

I have a question: How do I stay on my own thread? I could not figure that out.
Bookmark it, so you don't lose it.

This may help, too:
How can I find my threads and posts?

You can check that you're in your own thread, because the posts you make in it will have a background colour of pale blue-grey, while other posts in the thread have a background of white.
Also, if you look at your picture, it will have a diagonal orange strip on the left of it, with "OP" written on it, OP stands for Original Poster.

@Sunbeam62
I have to tell you a pet story. Arrived home exhausted, hot, bothered, and in pain from first THR. Sat down on my recovery couch, lay back, straightened out my legs, and a cat leapt up onto my lap. I shrieked, he dug in his claws and launched all the way out of the room. Took him a few days to even speak to me again. I kept a flat cushion on my lap after that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all of your helpful replies. I am doing more Physical Therapy for my arthritic hip now.
I'm not sure that will help much. That poor arthritic hip is already getting more than enough exercise, with having to be the "strong" hip until your new hip is sufficiently recovered to take its full share of the load.

It's probably a bit inflamed and it needs help to calm down, not more exercise. Rest, ice and elevation should help both hips.

Hello Sunbeam :wave:
Well, it’s one month already and you’re doing well aside from, Lefty, giving you grief.
I’m sorry you’re unable to fully enjoy all due to the deterioration of your non op hip.
You‘re halfway there though. One down one to go and better off than you were a couple months ago. Have to try to look at the bright side.
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely holiday weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Sunbeam62

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
One month to go until it’s Lefty’s turn. Wondering how you’re doing?
We‘d love to hear about your progress, as time allows.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@Sunbeam62

Thanks for you well wishes! I am doing well with my new right hip. I have been doing water exercises in my friend's pool and was shocked at how I didn't even notice my right leg!! It felt completely normal. I need help getting in due to my arthritic left hip. I still am using a walker sometimes but have been using a cane for the left leg. Due to this arthritis, my body is out of alignment. I have been trying to straighten out my back with doing stretches and pelvic tilts. I am counting down the days until Sept. 2nd when I will get my new left hip. I hope I will be able to walk normally and straighten out my posture.

All the best to you as Lefty gets a make-over today. Soon you’ll be resting comfortably, with pain well managed. :fingersx:

Happy Three Month Anniversary to, Righty! I hope progress remains strong. Just think how great you’ll be feeling by the holidays. :happydance: I’m happy for you. :)
@Sunbeam62

:hi: Happy Four Month Anniversary, Righty! Happy One Month to, Lefty too.:yay:
How are you doing since your latest surgery? We’d love to hear from you and hope you’re doing well and enjoying steady progress.
Have a wonderful weekend! :)
@Sunbeam62

Thank you! I have been getting better everyday. I walk about 1/2 mile everyday and will keep increasing the distance. I use my cane some of the time. I was limping until my physical therapist gave me a heel lift. (One leg was a little bit shorter after the surgeries) It was like a miracle for me! No more limping and struggling with my gait. It felt so good to walk into a store and walk around! Getting back to normal feels great!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts