TKR I did it. A Second TKR!

Txknee72

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. I had my right knee replaced October last year. On may 19th I had my left knee done. I'm amazed at how different the surgery and recovery are different. I'm hitting the notorious depression mark and I'm prepared to fight through it. I wanted to get back on this site and offer any support I can to anyone who needs it.

@Txknee72
Welcome back to BoneSmart, glad you are doing well with your new left knee!

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines for review, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Txknee72 Congratulations on your 2nd knee :flwrysmile: just the fact that you had your 2nd knee done is an inspiration for us newbies it just shows that the 1st knee no matter how painful the first recovery was you've survived it and proven it's still worth doing the 2nd knee :yes!: I'm sure there will be lots of Bonesmarties following your posts with interest.
Here's hoping you have a good recovery, we are both at the same recovery for your 1st knee, my surgery was October 10th xxx

Congrats on knee #2. Let us know how you're doing. You know the rollercoaster drill. ;)

Thank you so much! I'm getting the ups and downs on the roller coaster today. What a ride. But very thankful to be where I am.

@Txknee72 Welcome to the other side again! Do read the article Chris left you on Post Op Blues. Very common after joint replacement surgery. Hang in there - this will ease soon.

Thank you for the reminder of the post op blues reading. I really needed it. I'm struggling with being isolated with the current virus plague in the world. Add on this recovery and my mind is starting up with the crazy questions of our purpose in life and how we are here. My mind being idle is never a good thing. As far as physical recovering all is going as it should. I'm now not using any walker or cane. My pain is minimal with exception of at night. I do sleep in super late but I figure what else do I need to be doing. PT is ok. I was able to get my same therapist from before. I go Wednesday for my post op check up and bandage removal. I go agree every surgery is different. I had same surgeon, hospital, and after care. The body is a mystery..

Sounds like your recovery is going well! I am just a few days ahead of you, also with my second knee, and similar age. However, I’ve still got a firm grip on my walker or crutches! :heehee:
This is a weird time for recovery and it does make the isolation even more pronounced. I tell myself, at least I’m not missing much!

txknee72
congratulations on your 2nd tkr. I know you're glad that's over with. just think; after the next 3 or. 4 weeks you'll probably be doing great; Pain Free!!! I had my first tkr on my left knee February 13 and I have my right knee scheduled for surgery July 30. I can't wait. my left knee is doing great. I hope my right one does just as well. keep us updated on your recovery.

I'm curious does anyone have the pain at night? As the sun goes down my pain kicks up. I am icing it more. I also tend to sleep in a lot later and naps take me down lol

oh yeah; that's when I used to have mine all the time. I would fall asleep in my recliner; with ice and elevation; and wake up about 3 or 4 hrs. later moaning and groaning in pain and have to take some meds. don't worry it gets better

Nights can be tough. For me, it’s the combination of everything I’ve done during the day to tire out my knee coupled with the absence of any distraction from my knee. I’m typically up in the middle of the night for an hour or two, unable to get comfortable and fall back asleep.

Nights can be tough. For me, it’s the combination of everything I’ve done during the day to tire out my knee coupled with the absence of any distraction from my knee. I’m typically up in the middle of the night for an hour or two, unable to get comfortable and fall back asleep.

This has been true for me as well. If I lay on my back and lay in that position to long, it gets really sore. I have had one night where I slept 6 hours, but most nights 4 to 5 hours is as good as it gets. To be fair, pre surgery a 7 hour sleep was a good night for me.

Nighttime pain is normally an indication of doing too much during the day. Try cutting back on your daytime activities for a few weeks and see if that helps with your night pain.

That's interesting. I feel I'm not doing anything really. I will try even less lol. I go to my post op on Wednesday. It will be 2 weeks and 1 day. I am ready to get the bandage off

It is good to read about everyones nighttime issues- I also had a 2nd TKR on May 14, so many 2 Knee people on here! I wrap a Velcro soft material ice wrap around my knee to fall asleep, but always wake up and have to walk it off in the middle of the night- also take some Tylenol -It is so stiff and uncomfortable- I usually read for a hour and try to fall back asleep again. oh well- Onward & Upward for all of us here on this site. So glad I only have 2 knees-lol

You are so right! Gotta be thankful for only 2 knees! I'm so ready to get to the 6 month mark. It amazes me how quick we turn corners on healing. One day it's horrible and the next it's like ok I can do this

That's interesting. I feel I'm not doing anything really. I will try even less lol. I go to my post op on Wednesday. It will be 2 weeks and 1 day. I am ready to get the bandage off
Yeah, even when you aren't doing much the pain seems to pounce more at night. And remember you are in such early days, you're bound to be somewhat uncomfortable. :console2:

I am doing pretty good today but been sleeping a lot. Like literally sleeping in till 10 and laying in bed till 11. I nap some and now welcome the depression that makes no sense. I struggle with both anxiety and depression so this is expected. The uncertainty of life that the world is facing is dragging me down too.i go to post op tomorrow which makes me excited to see the actual scat. Sorry for ranting. It's the first time in 10 years I haven't had a surgery looming over me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back