PKR One Year Update

A half a mile is a really good walk for a knee that's only 2 months old. Great news that your PT appointment went better than you thought it would. Keep staying in control of it and you should be fine.

I went grocery shopping this morning! Even gloved and masked, it felt glorious to be out in the world today. It also felt like another step forward in my recovery. When getting out of my car, I do wish that I’d remembered to move the driver’s seat as far back as it would go, though. My knee does not like a twisting motion in any form. Ouch.

A tip I always found useful is try to park your car on a end of a row or near a pillar that way you you can open your car door wide and get in or out easilier.
I learnt this the hard way I parked my car and two cars either side of me parked so close, I actually had to explain my situation to a passer by and ask them to drive it out for me :heehee:

I learnt this the hard way I parked my car and two cars either side of me parked so close, I actually had to explain my situation to a passer by and ask them to drive it out for me :heehee:
Oh, Sara! That was very nice of that person to help you out. More than once my husband had to back out of the space so I could get in the car.

Yes, I tried to be watchful about being able to open the car door all the way, and I had to do that for months.

Recovery update! I’m almost ten weeks post op, and I do believe it’s getting easier. I’ve had two very helpful PT sessions, and am faithfully doing my exercises at home. Flexion has improved from 90 to 115, and extension from 5 to 1, and my therapist is pleased with my progress. His encouragement has really eased the worries I had about the PT process. I’m also walking 1/2 to 3/4 mile each afternoon, and using my little peddling machine twice a day for 10 minutes at a time. I know I’m making progress and gradually getting stronger, but I still struggle with stiffness as the day goes on. I fall asleep easily (leg is propped up on three pillows), but wake up around 3:00 a.m. and then have trouble getting comfortable enough to get back to sleep. I’m happy to be driving again, but after an hour or so of errands (maybe 30 total minutes of driving), my right quad begins to ache and I know it’s time to head home! I’m still not comfortable doing stairs foot over foot, and I hope that gets easier with time. I’m also terrified to try to kneel, so my sister is doing some spring gardening for me. Standing for any length of time still makes my legs feel wobbly. AARRGH. But, if it weren’t for this forum, I know I’d be more focused on my limitations than on my progress. I really appreciate all of you!

Last edited:
Your progress is great! I can’t wait to do all of those things!!

I will say, even 3 yrs after my left TKR... kneeling feels weird. I really try to avoid it. It’s probably in my head, haha.

I’m now 11 weeks into this recovery, and oh my...what a roller coaster ride it’s been. I think tonight I just need reassurance that at some point, it will even out. I usually feel strong and relatively pain free in the morning, with just a little stiffness, but by early evening, my new knee is aching and really stiff. Today, I took groceries to a food drive. There was an overwhelming community response, and without going into all of the details, I spent close to three hours in the driver’s seat of my car. When I got home, my knee hurt so much and was even more stiff than usual, maybe from being in the same position for too long? I’ve been elevating and icing ever since I’ve been home, along with gently massaging the area around my knee, and that helps. But this sure gets frustrating. Sorry to be a whiner, and thanks for any feedback.

You are not quite 1/4 of the way through this year of healing that your knee requires. For it to react like this, unfortunately, is normal. These knees like to move and to sit in one position for 3 hours will really anger it. The same thing happens if you have to stand for more than a few minutes.

When I broke my foot and ankle, my knee was just a few weeks under a year old. I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and my new knee raised Cain. It wanted to be used. You will find, through trial and error, what your knee will allow at the time frame you are in. As time goes on it complains less and less. But, boy it is a rollercoaster that is not any fun riding! Next year this time you'll be so glad you had it done! You just have to get through this year.

@sistersinhim....you always have the best advice! Thank you so much for encouraging me through this process. I appreciate you!

Thank you so much for saying so. You have made my day!

"Today, I took groceries to a food drive. There was an overwhelming community response, and without going into all of the details, I spent close to three hours in the driver’s seat of my car. When I got home, my knee hurt so much and was even more stiff than usual, maybe from being in the same position for too long? I’ve been elevating and icing ever since I’ve been home, along with gently massaging the area around my knee, and that helps. But this sure gets frustrating. Sorry to be a whiner, and thanks for any feedback. "

@Wolvesfan I would have done the exact same thing you did without giving a second thought to my new knee. It would never have occurred to me that I was taking any unnecessary chances merely by driving for 3 hours or so total. And related to a food drive? No good deed goes unpunished, eh? Isn't hindsight 20/20? So far, I've only been in the car 1 hour or so at a pop thus far without a break - but would not have thought to deliberately make sure I didn't spend 3 hours behind the wheel. It is frustrating when you don't purposefully "push" yourself yet suffer a bit of a setback. I do hope things are progressing better for you now and that you are on the mend. Take care.

@partialfixFeb...thank you so much for your comment. I live in Minneapolis and my heart is hurting more than my knee. But I learned a lesson on Sunday, and it will be a while before I put my new knee behind the wheel for that long. As @Qdogpa often says “time is our friend” and time to elevate and ice is still a very good friend for me. Hope you are well!

Hello! I’m trying to find that video that shows the use of Saran Wrap on a sensitive scar....but can’t find it. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!

Good morning! I’m now 13 weeks post op and have cautiously returned to most activities...meaning I’m cautious about social distancing and mostly mindful of my still healing knee. Yesterday, due to a weird set of circumstances (including a three hour wait for a tow truck inside my car during a thunderstorm), I had my knee in a bent position for far too long, and I paid the price. My young knee (good to have something about me that’s young!) was sore, achey, swollen, and screaming for ice and elevation. It felt like a big step backward, especially since earlier in the day, I successfully went downstairs foot over foot for the first time. This recovery is so unpredictable, and it’s tempting to test my knee...and then so frustrating when it rebels. I’m reminded who’s boss again. But other than the boomerang setbacks, I think my recovery is on track. My OS is pleased. I graduated from PT after six gentle sessions with a bend of 127 and extension at 0. I still have that tight/stiff feeling above my kneecap, and I hope it eases at some point. I’ve kneeled twice and hated it both times, and getting up off the floor is not a pretty sight, but I can do it. I walk 1-1.5 miles most mornings with my husband and our pup, and my legs feel strong again. I’m hoping that with time, I’ll be able to do longer distances. All ADL are so much easier now than two months ago, except when the knee stiffens up and I have to sit down to put on my jammy pants or something. So there’s definite improvement by three months out, but as I’ve learned from Bonesmart (and my OS concurs), it’s still early in the process and there will be continued improvement ahead. Cheers to all of you and thank you for your support and encouragement!

@Wolvesfan sounds like you are doing great! I am a little over 1.5 years our from my Right PKR. I can tell you from experience, things will continue to improve.

This is one awesome update! Setback suck... but you get right back out there! That strength you feel - that has to be a great feeling!!

Three years ago, I routinely walked 10,000 or more steps a day. As my right knee became more painful and unstable, my step count rapidly declined, and all last year, my first thought was “how far would I have to walk” before every activity. I was so discouraged by the limitations imposed by my knee....and yet, early on in the surgery recovery process, I wondered if I’d made a big mistake. But yesterday, at almost 14 weeks post op, I walked over 8,000 steps and didn’t really give it much thought. That was a big win in my book! My knee still feels tender or stiff at times, and it looks like there is some unresolved swelling, so I’m still healing....but I’m making progress. All of you who reminded me to be patient were so helpful and wise. Three friends have had this surgery in the last month, and I find myself now in a position to give them advice. “Yes, it really hurts, so take your meds as directed. “Be gentle with yourself, as your body has been through a traumatic surgery.” “Don’t hesitate to ask for help.” “Listen to your knee.” “If PT hurts, it’s not helping you,” and as @Qdogpa often reminded me “time is our friend.” Thank you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back