THR Scorow's Recovery Thread

Walking is always the best exercise for the hip. The only thing I started adding was riding my recumbent exercise bike for the different motion and because it was cold and icy out and I do not live anywhere close to sidewalks or malls. I started with no tension and for short periods just to get the movement and increased slowly to longer periods and more tension depending on how my hip and body responded. The increases were slow just to make sure I did not overdo.

I've done very well with just walking @scorow. No particular length of walk just what felt comfortable. No rush, everything will come at it's time. As Crickethip said you may be tiered of hearing it but you are early days yet. It will continue to get better.

Hello and Happy Friday, Scott :wave:
Thanks for the update.
I didn’t do any exercises other than walking for my recovery. Exercising is really not necessary, walking will suffice, but not to excess.

I do continue to have pain at night, seemingly not connected to daily activity as much as to the position of laying in bed (as opposed to sitting or standing). Not sure what to make of that, and surgeon really didn't have much of a response when I mentioned it. I would be interested in thoughts or comments about that. I don't have pain walking or sitting.

Wondering if you’re side sleeping? If so, if you’re using a pillow? If you are side sleeping and not using a pillow, try a pillow between your legs.

Possibly the pain you deal with at night is due to over activity. Maybe if you scale back for several days, you’ll notice a difference. I‘m sure you’ve read here that it often doesn’t hurt until we stop. You could try some icing and elevating right before bedtime also and see if that helps. Using an OTC pain reliever at bedtime is another thought, that’s if you’re not already. You’re still really early into the healing process in the entire scheme of things.

I hope you begin to enjoy some peaceful sleep soon. Be safe, stay well and have a happy Easter!
@scorow

Thanks, all. I think I'm at that stage where I've recovered enough that I subconsciously expect to feel "normal," but I'm really not there yet.

I think Layla may be right and the night pain comes from side sleeping that is morphing a bit beyond the side. Sleeping on my right side (right hip replaced) and my left leg actually goes over the right leg so that my hips I twist towards the right. Not on my stomach, but halfway between on the side and on the stomach. Hard to describe, but I think that might put stress on the anterior entry point, and I know I'm not supposed to lay on stomach yet. So I'll see if I can use pillows to stop that. At least I have a working theory!

Every few weeks seems to be a new "stage" that takes understanding. But week 7 is sure better than week 2!

Last edited:
I will share what I use every night since my surgery almost three years ago.
It’s a Body Pillow. They are very inexpensive at approximately $10. I purchased mine at Target but they carry them at Walmart, Amazon etc. I place it between my knees and calves and with bottom leg straight and top leg slightly bent it pretty much runs from my ankles up high enough to wrap an arm around it. I fall asleep with it every night and find it really comfortable. Something to consider...

But week 7 is sure better than week 2!

Hahaha! SO TRUE!
@scorow

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve found a comfortable way to get more restorative rest.
Wishing you a great week ahead. :)
@scorow

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve found a comfortable way to get more restorative rest.
Wishing you a great week ahead. :)
@scorow
Thanks! So nice of you to track these milestones. Just finished a 12-mile bike ride on a beautiful day, so hoping the hip won't protest this evening. I don't expect that it will. I'm not 100% yet, but continuing to improve. I was lucky in some ways to have had mine done shortly before the stay-at-home stuff hit. I know several people who really need it done but are delayed.

Hello @scorow
Thanks for the update. It’s great to read you’re doing well.
With any luck you’re feeling good the day after your 12 mile bike ride.

My heart goes out to those whos surgeries were cancelled, not knowing when they may get re-scheduled. It’s anxiety producing enough waiting once you’ve scheduled your date but dealing with a cancelation along with all else our world is experiencing, is a heavy load. Hopefully this crisis ends soon.
Be safe, stay well and enjoy the week!

My 3-month anniversary from my right THR is tomorrow. I've had an easy recovery and have been pain free for weeks until about two weeks ago. Groin pain started about then and has been increasing, sounding very similar to what you all describe. I guess I would have expected this to crop up sooner after the surgery, as I have been walking 2 miles at a time and biking since the 6-week mark.

I haven't been back to my surgeon yet - just starting to research what might be causing the pain. I'm trying to see if there are stretches, exercises, etc., that might help. Really pretty bummed by this setback.

@scorow - Mine started around the 4 month Mark and got worse as time went on. It took me a long time to get anyone to recognize there was an issue.

The first step they had me do was absolute rest followed by PT.

Stopped by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I’m sorry to read you’re experiencing some discomfort causing concern. I hope it’s a minor setback that quickly eases with a little icing, rest and OTC pain relievers, if needed.
Wishing you comfort, speedy relief and a relaxing holiday weekend. :SUNsmile: Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
@scorow

It is hard for me to sort out the groin pain from the bad hip from the groin pain post op. It was much less post op but when it didn’t go away with time and started to get worse, we started down the path that @SaraK stated. That was iliopsoas tendinitis. There is some info here in the library and lots of info online, of course. It doesn’t seem to take much to aggravate those tissues as we progress with exercise. @Layla has great advice about easing back. If it continues to be a problem, a shout out to your OS is in order. Hopefully, a little TLC and time will help your discomfort. Keep us posted and let us know how we can help. ❤️

@scorow Glad to see you have progressed so well. Hope you can sort out that groin pain.
I just did a telemedine visit with my OS this week to point out a muscle issue, and he gave me some exercises to do. I needed someone to hold the laptop for me, but it worked well.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!

How are you doing since we last heard from you...about a month ago?
Hopefully the pain you described has eased, better yet...disappeared entirely.
Please update when you have time. Will look forward to hearing from you. :)
@scorow

Thanks, Layla. The persistent and increasing groin pain did finally subside after a period of absolute rest and NSAIDs. OS's PA thought that if it had been an impingement, it likely would have cropped up as an issue earlier.

After I got that under control, I've gotten back into biking and playing pickleball, pretty much without limitation. I seemed to make great improvement immediately after I started playing pickleball again, during which I moved in ways that I hadn't for a long time. I wonder if there was some scar tissue that was released when I started playing, because the hip seemed better almost immediately despite the significant increase in activity and range of movement.

I'm still not 100% - some random pains come and go from time-to-time and range of motion is not fully restored - but I think that I'm still improving. Still a bit tender really flexing to put on shoes and things like that. I'm being very careful to space out my activities to allow time for recovery.

I had been under the impression that most healing would be accomplished by 3-months, since that is when my OS releases you to any activity. That may be true on some percentage basis, but it is obvious that healing continues after that, albeit not as obvious perhaps.

I'm still not 100% -
Nope, you’re not...so I’m sure even brighter days are on the way! :happydance:

I'm being very careful to space out my activities to allow time for recovery.
Wise move! Be sure to ice preventatively if / when you feel you may have overdone it.

You‘re doing great. Please stay in touch, we love updates. :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom