TKR The other TKR, on August 25th

Congrats on the 102! It took me more than a month to get there. Just like everyone said, it is very easy to hit "too much" activity even if while you're doing it, it doesn't feel too bad. Though I did find standing for any length of time in the first couple of months one of the most aggravating things for the knee. And some days are just worse than others too.

Thank you, I was surprised.....although, I think that was struggling to get there.
I guess you’re right, on good/bad days. It’s just that things were going better than expected for me, so I’m worried now.
Now just to get those bands wrapped around my knee to come off, lol.

That tight band feeling is usually swelling inside your knee. There's not much room in there and just a little bit of fluid will make it feel tight.

I’m 6 weeks post-op now. Home physical therapy has finished. I really feel I have been doing quite well. Sunday I walked a mile, no cane. Ok, so yesterday, I started outpatient rehab. I feel I’m back to square one now. Pain is a 7, when it had been a 4. Can’t seem to get the swelling down, and sooo tight. I hope I didn’t Really hurt something. Funny thing is, I was able to do the mostly stretches without any pain, and just a little difficulty. Swelled up last evening, and still pretty bad. Well, I still did exercises this morning, and now have been here icing all day. I so wanted to go for a walk. :(
I did the exercises this morning, because I thought wouldn’t be good NOT doing them, and then have to do harder tomorrow ?
OK, for sure I’m going to tell the PT. However, I don’t even feel like going at all.
I really don’t know what to do. I’m scared now.

I suspect that one mile unassisted walk was a bit too much. If I ever have the courage too do my other knee I will elect to skip PT. I seriously found PT to be virtually useless. Every therapist had different methods and ideas. If you knee is swelling it is telling you that you are over doing it. Be patient and gentle with your knee. It takes longer than any of us want it too.... wishing you the best....

If you have pain followed by swelling and a tight band feeling it's your knee telling you to stop, you should be exercising gently and not pushing your knee at all.
I'm surprised you are still having outpatient PT are you not in lockdown because of the virus?
Personally I would gently exercise your knees, plenty of rest, Ice and elevating now's not a good time to be in contact with PT's. Stay safe xx

Thank you for response:

I did the walk 3 days ago, rehab yesterday.
Our rehab is open because I guess it’s considered “essential “. Both the therapist and myself wear masks, and gloves....and they don’t take more than a few patients at a time, precautions taken. I hear you though, even my surgeon closed his office, except for emergencies.
I’m debating this, I have exercises I can go at my own pace. I’ll see how I do tomorrow morning (appt in afternoon), and may cancel.
I had thought of looking online for stretching I could do, ect. Nowadays, I’m sure there is plenty on UTube. The therapist seems very knowledgeable, although I’m not quite sure I understand....she said my patella is not sliding you and down, but moving off to the side, and strengthening the muscles around, will help that. Or something to that effect.
Sort of scared me, why would my patella do that ?
Thanks, I’ll think this over.

Sunday I walked a mile, no cane. Ok, so yesterday, I started outpatient rehab. I feel I’m back to square one now. Pain is a 7, when it had been a 4. Can’t seem to get the swelling down, and sooo tight. I hope I didn’t Really hurt something. Funny thing is, I was able to do the mostly stretches without any pain, and just a little difficulty. Swelled up last evening, and still pretty bad. Well, I still did exercises this morning, and now have been here icing all day. I so wanted to go for a walk. :(
It's pretty obvious that you did too much exercising and that's why your knee is so stiff and swollen.
If you're going to walk for a full mile at only 6 weeks post-op, you don't need to do any more exercising that day. Walking is the best exercise of all for your knee - but not to excess.

You're only 6 weeks into a year-long recovery. There's no need to rush. You have plenty of time. Remember what we told you when we gave you the Recovery Guidelines:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain. As it heals and the swelling goes down, your ROM (both flexion and extension) will gradually increase.

The therapist seems very knowledgeable, although I’m not quite sure I understand....she said my patella is not sliding you and down, but moving off to the side, and strengthening the muscles around, will help that. Or something to that effect.
Sort of scared me, why would my patella do that ?
So your patella isn't tracking properly yet. That's because the muscles on one side of it are pulling harder than the muscles on the other side. But it's still very early days and as your knee continues to heal, this could cure itself. It's far too early in your recovery to be worrying about it.

Quite honestly, I don't think it's a good idea to go to outside PT. Even with precautions, you will be exposing yourself to the risk of catching Covid-19 - and your resistance to infection is still low, because you're recovering from a major surgery.

Your knee knows what it's doing and it will get all the exercise it needs as you use it in your activities of daily living, plus just a little walking. You can't speed up your recovery by doing exercises, but you might slow it down by overdoing your activity.

Give your knee a break and spend a week or so resting more, and icing and elevating as much as you can, so it can calm down and some of its swelling will decrease.

If you feel you really must do some formal exercises, these are all you need- and only one session per day:
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Heel slides and how to do them properly

If your patella is tracking to the outside of your left knee, you could see if this activity helps.
Sitting in a chair, while straightening your left knee, allow your leg to turn out to about 10 o'clock, hold for 5 - 10 seconds, repeat 5x. Your knee should tolerate this activity, if not stop doing it.

My lower part of my leg still feels very numb. I wasn’t expecting anything like this.....just worries me some. Will this get better ? I’m told yes, the “nerves” haven’t come back yet. Well, what the heck are they doing ? Plus, wow....are they going to come back with a vengeance?
I didn’t have this on my first replacement so I’m sort of confused

Numb areas are completely normal. Nerves are cut during the surgery. Maybe this knee had to have more work done to it than your first one so more nerves were cut.

Thank you. It was eluded to me that my surgery was more complicated but went well.
I’m waiting for the operative report, will help me more to understand.

It does scare me a bit though, and wow it feels so weird.

I've had so many surgeries that both knees still have numb areas. Sometimes I'll even have mild zingers in those areas, so the nerves are still trying to repair themselves. Those numb areas are something that just happens to most of us. Most of them go away and some don't. But, with your two surgeries only, I bet your areas will come back to normal after a while.

Are you having the zingers in your knee yet? That is what we call the 'lightning strike' feeling, sharp, quick pains that hit our knees. They are quick but powerful. They are your nerves reattaching or rerouting themselves.

Yes, It has. Has slowed down some. Wow, I call them electric shocks, very unexpected. I let out a yell and people wonder what the heck is going on.
Thank goodness, no funerals or churches going on.

When my zingers first started sometimes my leg would actually jump. That hurt almost as bad and the zinger did!

Well, having a step back in my recovery.
In the midst of my therapy which is going good right now, I started having pain and weakness in my other knee. Long story, but just started Medicare and HMO, lot of issues with authorizations for me to see my surgeon. Of course, it’s grinding now, I can barely walk......so then, I come down with a sinus infection, now no one will see me !!
I’m on antibiotics, and when that’s done, I’m going to get hopefully a “gel” injection. I’m hoping that will hold up for awhile. Also, hoping they don’t want to do surgery right away.
Anyway, I’m not real familiar with this gel injection. How long will it take for it to work ? Will I have pain afterwards ?
I’m so stressed.

For several years prior to my surgery I had gel injected into my knee, I had 3 injections twice yearly and this was done over a 6 week period in other words one weeks rest in between each injection - it worked almost immediately and lasted a good 5 -6 months basically it adds cushioning inbetween the joint so you don't get that grinding feeling.
1st injection slightly uncomfortable as I was tense but if you can relax your knee you shouldn't feel It.
I'm now hoping like you to have injections into my right knee which is slowly getting worse but there are other priorities going on so may have to wait several months.
Hope your feeling better :flwrysmile:

Thank you, this helps.
I’m just trying to make a decision on this, or the cortisone injection that I’ve been having for couple years now, but my knee is much worse.....and unless it’s insisted on, I want to wait at least six months. I need to finish my Rehab with my revision. So, did it work after your first injection ?
Good Luck to You

So, did it work after your first injection?
I was one of those that the shots didn't work on. That's why I ended up with the tkr. Many find relief with them. I hope you are one of those.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts