Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

Defender

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had L T K R 12 February and am having trouble getting past 70 degree bend .
My physiotherapists keep pushing and say I should be at 90 degree by now.
I had my Ŕ T K R in 2018 and seem to remember it was difficult but once the swelling went down it all fell into place.
My left knee is still really swollen.
Is my physiotherapists pushing me too hard.

Hi and Welcome back!
Is my physiotherapists pushing me too hard.
Yes. We all recover at different timeframes and there is no “should” in this recovery. Your ROM will improve as your swelling goes down and as you heal.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Many thanks for your reply.
I know this is a brutal op as I had a epidural and could hear all the banging.
I was in a group session for physio but now they have taken me out on a one to one.
I don't know why exactly as there was another in my class at the same stage and she is still in the group.
I am now worried but am doing all I can.
This time I also have shin and inner thigh pain which I didn't have last time.

My physiotherapists keep pushing and say I should be at 90 degree by now.
Don't let the PT bully you. Your knee is on its own time schedule. There is no rush and the ROM will improve when the swelling goes now.

Be sure and read the articles that Jockette left for you. These were developed by years of experiences of knee replacement patients and what works the best for recovery.

I am now worried but am doing all I can.
Please try not to worry. You are very early in recovery and your knee is very swollen. Too often our medical teams are impatient and forget that every knee is unique and is on its own recovery time frame.

Don’t allow them to force your knee to bend, and don't allow them to make you do anything that you don’t feel is in your best interest.

This time I also have shin and inner thigh pain which I didn't have last time.
Every knee and recovery is different, even on the same person, even on people who have both knees done the same day.

Hi Defender,

I feel like your twin—I also had LTKR on 2/12/20 and also had the right done in 2018. I’m also having shin pain now, and I think I over did it on the exercise bike yesterday at PT. Did they offer an explanation for moving you out of the group? Are you motivated to/feel comfortable with requesting a new therapist?

Hi winner well that's strange yes like we are on the same page as far as our operations.
I asked why they had taken me out if the group and he said because I was behind the others and would get more time on a one to one rather then being in a group.
But I am not there was another in my group who was at the same stage as me.
I am not too happy and don't understand why as with my last T K R there were some ahead of others which was expected.
He now has me thinking I am not doing any exercises but I am doing what I can.
He saw my knee and can see how swollen it is.

I am sorry they are worrying you needlessly. :gaah:The swelling IS preventing your range of motion, and any pushing/forcing it will only slow your recovery. I know I was only at 64 at he 2-3 week mark, and started PT at 3 wks with a 63-65 bend. I was at 84 by the 4 wk mark, but I had massive swelling to go along with severe shin/calf pain. I didn't get to 90 until 6-7 wks. All of us are SO different, and they shouldn't be expecting you to heal the same as everyone else.

Defender,

Easy does it, relax and do what you can and don’t be concerned what the therapist thinks. Your opinion is the only one that counts, the therapist is only a tool for you to use to achieve a goal. Some tools are better than others but in the end you finish the project in the safest manner possible. Be easy on yourself mentally, this too shall pass.

Hi all.
I have had a phone call to say there is a cancellation and I can go in Monday for physiotherapy
I already have one booked for the week after.
After the last session I am wondering if I should miss this one as he is a young physiotherapist and just keeps pushing me to the edge of my pain limits.
Advice would be appreciated.

I would wait until the appointment you already have. You just need movements for mobility, you don’t need some young whippersnapper who doesn’t understand recovery from a knee replacement.

And be really selective about what you do at that next appointment.

I would wait until the appointment you already have. You just need movements for mobility, you don’t need some young whippersnapper who doesn’t understand recovery from a knee replacement.

And be really selective about what you do at that next appointment.
Thanks yes that's what I was thinking wait until l have the appointment I have already have.
I will take your advice and not let him force or do anything I am not comfortable with.
He will probably think I am being awkward.
People who haven't experienced this op have no idea as to what we are going through.
I am walking about and bending my knee as far as I can but not putting it under force which is what they seem to think I should.

I am walking about and bending my knee as far as I can but not putting it under force
This is excellent, it’s all you really need.

Hi Defender

Similar story. 2nd TKR and slower progress than the first. I wish I had found this support network last time as the help and advice is excellent and whilst I rushed the first one, I do not intend to worry as much about short term results this time.

Whereabouts in the UK are you ?

Hi Grobbo.
Yes it's true what they say never 2 the same.
I don't remember having so much trouble first time around
I wouldn't say my first one was easy far from it.
The physio I have found to be a bit excessive this time and am not happy they singled me out from the group.
Yes I have found this forum excellent for advice and encouragement.
Hope you progress goes well.
I am in Essex

Hi Defender, glad to see you made it to Bonesmart. Good advice from all the ladies. Don't let them bully you. As a friend of mine is fond of saying 'Advice is not compulsory. I can choose to ignore it.' No point in forcing your knee. It will only object and cause more pain and swelling.

I'm sorry this knee is proving even worse than your first. Just as well we only have 2 isn't it? I hope things start to improve soon for you.

Hi Defender, glad to see you made it to Bonesmart. Good advice from all the ladies. Don't let them bully you. As a friend of mine is fond of saying 'Advice is not compulsory. I can choose to ignore it.' No point in forcing your knee. It will only object and cause more pain and swelling.

I'm sorry this knee is proving even worse
As a friend of mine is fond of saying 'Advice is not compulsory. I can choose to ignore it.
Many thanks yes that saying sounds like good advice.
I have made my mind up not to let them force me and and go with the advice given me on this forum.

@Defender I listened to the advice I was given on here and stood my ground with physio. He was ok but gave me strengthening exercises which I have not done as at 6 weeks now my knee is still temperamental, stiff, sore so I do only what I can do. Back there on Friday when he was hoping to discharge me, only 2nd visit. So, make sure he does not touch you unless you say so. I am in Essex! X

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom