THR Hip Replacement-9 weeks still limping

@Teresawebb good update, agree that breakfast with Santa would be tiring, but fun I'm sure. It's good that you're being mindful of your posture and the way you are walking, it really does make a difference. Hope your holidays are wonderful!
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: :santa-dance:

In every day life we might walk a fair amount but most is sloppy habit walking.

Nice update @Teresawebb Thanks for sharing.
I find what Eman85 said above to be true also. I really had to concentrate on my gait. You'll get there. You're only five months post op and with more healing, patience and practice you'll nail it. :yes!:

Wishing you a nice weekend, a Merry Christmas and a happy healthy 2020!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Just checking in. I am happy to report that I am 6 months out and doing much better. I still have a limp but it has greatly improved. I am not doing any pt exercises just walking. I am uncomfortable some days and take an OTC. Icing and elevating are still my friends.Had my 6 month and final check up with OS he felt I was on track. I remember one of the “Bonesarters” telling me what a difference they felt at 6 months... I definitely feel that same way. It would have been very difficult to make it to this point without the great advice and support that I received here. I plan to continue to check in and hopefully be able to offer support to the newbies. Hope all have gotten a good start in the New Year. Thanks again.

Hello @Teresawebb :wave: So glad to see your update and that you are still making progress. I remember so well when you found this forum and your description of the exercises you were trying to keep up with!
Just think how good you'll feel in another month or so. It just keeps getting better.. :yes:

@CricketHip grest memory.. you and others were right on the money about PT. I ways doing way to much too soon... Again so glad that I found this site. That one piece of advice regarding PT was invaluable. It turned things around for me. Take good care and thanks again.

Hello,
Just caught this post - and as I reported to this wonderful group, I too made a big leap as far as recovery is concerned at the 6-month mark.

Now, it is going on the 9th month; and I feel pretty much - not totally back to normal (just don't want too jinx myself). I am worrying less & less of the movements I make that I wasn't to make earlier (putting on shoes, getting in car, etc.).

It is a great feeling, isn't it? I wish you well.
Trudi

:wave: @Teresawebb
Happy belated 6 month Hipversary!!!
So happy you are stepping out of the Overdid It Club and seeing big recovery gains.
Things kept getting better and better for me well up to one year and after.
Also, things could get a bit wonky from time to time when engaging in activities that move muscles around in an unfamiliar way. In which case, I went back to icing and babying.

2020 will be a splendid year.:happydance:
Pop back with an update when possible.

A belated Happy Six Month Anniversary to you!
It seems you're doing really well. Remember the heel-toe walking as you're trying to lose the limp. I believe it really helps. Happy healing as you continue the journey. I hope 2020 is a great year for you!
@Teresawebb

Well I am now 7 months post op and I feel that each month I get better. My walking is much better, it is cold here in Ohio so I am mainly walking in doors. I try to get up from my desk at work every hour and walk the halls. That has helped a lot with stiffness. I am experiencing some dis comfort in my thigh... feels like the thigh bone is stiff. Has anyone else had this issue? Thx

I know the feeling. For me, it was tight muscles. My quads, hamstrings and Achilles were all very tight, especially after years of babying the bad leg. I've been working on stretching doing Pilates since about 4 months and they feel much looser and I'm striding and walking much smoother, but I still have a long way to go. I just passed 9 months so I expect (hope?) to continue to see improvement up to a year. :praying:
Keep walking. Maybe check out Bob and Brad (funny PT's) on YouTube for some good leg stretches . Keep the faith. :friends:

I am experiencing some dis comfort in my thigh... feels like the thigh bone is stiff. Has anyone else had this issue? Thx

Hi @Teresawebb, it sounds like stiffness to me, do you think that is what it is? Which can hang around for several more months. It's good that you are getting up from your work desk often and walking a bit and maybe adding some gentle stretches would help, too.
It's good to see your update.. you've come a long way!

There are some seated hamstrings stretches that help before you get up and walk. This also helped with tightness in the knee. I also found that if I clenched my glutes and concentrated on heel tod walking it all
Helped. Stiffness was definitely an issue for me too but it all got better.

Congratulations on your 7 month milestone! Really encouraging to read how you are progressing. Especially that you are still feeling new improvements.

My hamstrings get very tight sitting at computer desk. I have to stretch several times a day to avoid front thigh tightness. I think it’s hard not to rely on thigh muscles when walking. Posture is what helps me most. Bending over keyboard just exasperates my tendency to slump forward a little.

Best wishes this next month!

Happy Eight Month Anniversary!
Hopefully all is well and you have a lovely Spring. :flwrysmile:
Take care!
@Teresawebb

Just checking in.... almost at 9 months post op.... Feeling so much better however experiencing more stiffness due to not being able to move around as much due to the societal precautions around Covid19. I like many am gratefully working from home but I need to get up more and move away from my computer. I have tried out some new gentle stretching that appears to be helping. I am in Ohio so it’s spring one day and winter the next but walk as much as I can. I hope all are doing well with their recovery and staying safe and well. Take good care and thanks again for all the support.

Hi Teresa, thanks for the update, it is nice to hear from you! :) It seems you’re doing really well.

Thankfully you’re able to work from the safety of your home while we’re dealing with this pandemic. Possibly setting a timer so that you get up and move a little, hourly, would help with the stiffness? It may be worth a try.

I‘m dealing with the same weather situation as you. Cooler and rainy this morning, now warm and sunny with temps dipping again over the next couple days.
What’s it gonna be? :shrug: It’s a surprise, lol.

Take care, be safe, stay well and keep in touch! :wave:
@Teresawebb

hello!! Good to see your update.. yah, sitting more isn't our friend.. lucky you, though, to be able to work from home. Not working is messing with my wee brain..:snork: It gives me too much time to fret and worry. Something that I suggest frequently is to set a timer while working and when it rings, no matter where you're at with your work, get up and move! Every 40 minutes is a good time frame..
But it might be a different time frame for you,, but I hope it helps.

You are in the Buckeye State! My home state.. you recently had a lot of rain! Hopefully it evens out for you weather wise, it definitely helps to see sunshine and warmer temps.

@Teresawebb

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562