Bilateral PKR Di's Double Replacement Recovery

Three weeks today!
been doing full rotations on the exercise bike since Friday. Ride it for about 5 minutes then on to more PT.:nah:
I have developed a sharp stabbing pain again in the top/side of my knee cap. I had it a little over a week ago but it was SO much worse and it was when walking. Now the pain is still bad but now it’s when I try to straighten it after having it bent. It almost feels as though it’s locking. Anyone have this feeling? It’s worrying me a bit! I’m assuming it’s just a phase of recovery. But it’s still concerning me.
Im feeling a little blue again too.
UGH again, I’m not a patient patient.:shrug:

You’re doing great! I have strange pains at times, and knee is still tight, stiff and achy , but admittedly it is a tad better each day. After coming off Tylenol, I realize that was a huge mistake...need to stay ahead of pain, particularly still in recovery mode..I probably have set myself back a few days, by walking ,exercising somewhat, without relieving pain...lesson learned...

Keep your chin up ilovefall! Sending healing vibes your way! It is a roller coaster recovery journey. I cried a river the first several weeks. Lots of pain. Hang in there dear and keep letting us know how you're doing.

@Qdogpa thata part of my problem...pain. My husband and I have come to the conclusion that NO MEDICATION puts a dent in my pain. I had pain control in the hospital when received thru IV. Oddly enough my daughter (21) has claimed for years that she doesn’t get relief from pain medication (when she had her recent surgery and when she had her wisdom teeth out). We are convinced that’s my problem. Believe me, this week is better than last week. So I’m going to keep telling myself next week will be even better.

Ilovefall,what is/ was your primary as needed pain killer? I had Oxy, works great..though my pain was rarely to the point it was needed beyond first day or two..have taken as a way to fall asleep , though lack of sleep has been an issue for 5 weeks! Hopefully your pain subsides!

@Qdogpa OXY has bizarre side effects with me (clammy and almost pass out). My doc had me on Vicodin and Tramadol. I take them and just don’t feel any difference. I’ve taken Tylenol as well but don’t feel that does much. I’m going to attempt to take them every four hours tomorrow whether I need them or not. Wonder if it’ll make a difference. Fingers crossed for both of us PA peeps!
:beg:

I have developed a sharp stabbing pain again in the top/side of my knee cap. I had it a little over a week ago but it was SO much worse and it was when walking. Now the pain is still bad but now it’s when I try to straighten it after having it bent. It almost feels as though it’s locking. Anyone have this feeling?
@ilovefall - congrats on 3 wks although it’s sounds like you’ve hit a bit of a wall. Sorry to hear you are still struggling with pain. I do believe that not all pain meds work on all people. For example, morphine and any derivative has no affect on me. Nothing. Like taking a placebo. Toradol, although very terrible on the liver, works really really well. They will only do small doses in the hospital since it really has to be monitored. I hope that you can get some relief soon.

I also have a stabbing type pain in my right knee cap. It feels exactly like what you described, but instead it’s catching when I try to bend. I am hoping it is just a bit of inflammation in there. Icing it now. Otherwise going to ask doc a week from tomorrow when I go for my two week post op.

Maybe rest a little more, ice and elevate a little more? Take that pain as a signal? Also, I was able to help my pain with Ibuprofen staggered with acetaminophen. The ibuprofen doesn’t kill pain but it works on the swelling and inflammation that triggers the pain. Check with your doctor to see if you can add it to your pain regimen. It can be hard on your stomach and other systems.

Just moved my knee, and my daughter 15 feet away said “ was that clicking noise from your knee?” .....clicking, aching, tightness, stiffness...got them all...

My surgeon said it might go away as the tissues tighten. If it doesn't, he said I'll get used to it and not notice it. It freaks out other people when I sit and jiggle my knees from side to side. :heehee:

26 days post op!
Started to try to move along the straightening of my right knee. Measurements this week:
LEFT: Extension = -2 Flexion = 106
RIGHT: Extension = -8. Flexion = 99
Today I began sitting in straight back chair and having another in front of me. Placed heel of right foot on chair in front of me. Kept there for 5 mins (first time had to take 3 breaks). Managed to do three sets of this exercise today. One set yesterday.
It’s rough but feels SO much better already. Hoping my measurements are better on Monday.
:beg:

Nice progress! Keep it up...time is our friend, and each day that passes , some time taken off calendar!

It's not so much the numbers that count, it's the function. What can you do with your new knees? What is your current ROM keeping you from doing?

My OS never mentioned numbers. He told me to show him what I could do. It's so much easier and less stressful when the numbers aren't pounded into our heads and we just enjoy all our new abilities.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back