THR Hitch & Get Along<

Thank you everyone for your responses (maybe I'm not crazy after all about what happened). @Debru4 - what you said about not taking pain relief was spot on. Why on why do I feel like I'm being weak if I take something a couple days in a row? Since this place is my only experience with PT, I really have nothing to compare it to. I did message Stephanie (Hipster's right hand gal) and told her what happened and how I responded. I know they get progress reports sent to them the day of therapy and I wanted to get ahead of them tattling that I was uncooperative or something of that nature. Stephanie thanked me many times for the input and said they are more than willing to research doing it somewhere else. She totally understands my reluctance in going back to start with.

@Jaycey - yes ma'am I did read that material on here about T.B. (actually the first day I got the diagnosis because I didn't know what it was). The exercises they have me doing aren't anything that taxing, there's some stretching in there too. This morning I was able to get through all of the exercises here at home then I did some stretching - it lasted about 45 minutes. I'm capable of doing that part, especially if I can strengthen my core again. All I have wanted to do for the past couple of years was to get back to running because I loved it so. Now I just want to aim for full movement and pain free. I am only willing to give PT another time to see if anything changes after all of this.

@VSlowLife @Layla - Hipster's gal Steph said those words in her own way which I believe was along the lines of "they need to be mindful and respectful of your time and there are other places out there we can try. She has always been a great listener and was going to let Hipster know what happened. Ironically, the owner of the therapy place was going in to meet with Hipster's office yesterday of all days and Steph was sitting in on that meeting. She's a pretty no-nonsense gal so I believe I have an advocate in her.

Today I'm feeling better - possibly from all of the stretching this morning, I slept better last night and the sun also peeked out today. (The snowdumps lately are mood breakers, right @Debru4 ? I'm ready for the blue sky, bright sunshine and warm temperatures. I'm beginning to see some relief in tax preparation for our business. This time of year I am buried under much paperwork (I know that has not helped my disposition).

Thanks to all for the kind words, thoughts, suggestions!!!

I agree that the treatment you received wasn't stellar, and can't imagine your PT asking you about the review! I tend to be like you and if I can do the exercises and stretching on my own, that what I want to do, too.

I hope you consider staying on top of your pain and love that today you watched the sun peek out and you had a better day! It's so important to enjoy the little things from day to day.

I hope tomorrow is another good day for you!!

I wish I had some good advice for you with the trochanteric bursitis but as I'm dealing with the same thing it's kind of hit or miss. Definitely stay ahead of the pain, no reason to be miserable and no you're not weak. If you have access to an indoor pool you might try some water walking. I have read that swimming everyday is really good for bursitis. I swim like a rock so I walk and float around with the pool noodles. :loll:

Thank you @Elf1 - I DO so feel weak. I told them that very thing in PT this morning. Today the Therapist was much more attentive and really listened to me. She is thinking I should contact Hipster to ask about getting another injection (cortisone) because she says that my left side is still very, very angry and inflamed. She think another shot (possibly 2 more) might help to get the inflammation down and also get me out of the pain zone. THEN she suggested that I allow them to do dry needling on me (something I've never had before). Has anyone had any experience with this in your new hips, hip area? I told her I would think about it and have been doing some research today.

She did work a LOT on my lower back, hip, glutes and thigh today (with her hands, not the roller). I only biked for 5 minutes then did very simple stretches before the ultrasound. I can tell you that by the time I got home and into the house, I was starting to hurt in BOTH hips. I got on ice right away (popped 2 Ibuprofen) but then actually switched to heat because I felt so chilled to my bones. I actually even questioned if I was coming down the horrid flu (2 of the 3 grandsons have now had it and I was with the 2nd one last week so my daughter didn't have to take him out of the house for school pick up). I wonder if the "massage" portion today moved muscles back into their proper places?

I feel like I'm stuck in the movie Groundhog Day - the same scene repeats itself every day.

Oh, Kim......I also am so stinking tired of this continual snow. I still have piles from our huge storm in November---we got 19 inches then here in Loveland. And all of these ongoing "snow dumps" as you call them.....AARRGGG. My neighbor girl shovels my driveway and sidewalk. Then the sun comes out and melts enough for it to ice over, and then the new storm adds on, and the cycle continues. I've been a bit achy in my hip and back area recently....trying to decide if it's some arthritis in my back or all of this sitting and lack of activity perhaps causing some ITB/psoas/piraformis aches. I need to target those areas in some stretches.

You asked about dry needling. I had it done in my shoulder and collarbone area about 5 years ago when they found a small bicep tear and a couple of bone spurs on my collarbone. I had mixed results. It did not help my arm/shoulder/bicep area at all. It proved very successful for my collarbone area. The PT only did it 3 times total. It was very uncomfortable, but my collarbone almost completely improved and there were no related issues. The PT I was working with had a good reputation, had specific training/endorsement in dry needling, and was highly endorsed by my doctor. Even so, the whole thing made me a little unsure. I did some research and it is an accepted practice for my particular issue. I've never heard of it being done on the hip. What has your research shown?

Are you doing any better? Sure hope things settle down for you. I sure would consider a 2nd cortisone injection if it were me. I do understand that it sometimes takes more than one to settle things down. :loveshwr:

THEN she suggested that I allow them to do dry needling on me (something I've never had before). Has anyone had any experience with this in your new hips, hip area? I told her I would think about it and have been doing some research today.
We do have this article about dry needling in our library:
Dry Needling Technique

Thank you @Celle - I looked it up yesterday and read a bunch on it.

@Debru4 - I just read that we are close to setting a record with this white stuff for February. Ugh, Chris Spears (channel 4) says we can expect 2 more 'hits' before the end of the month. The constant melting/refreezing is making me crazy. We actually had a customer fall out front last week and cracked his head open. He had to go to the ER for staples and MRI on his head (concussion).

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been dealing with soreness/achiness lately. Have they checked your back for arthritis? Is that what caused your hip to be replaced? I think having the DN done on your neck/clavical area sounds PAINFUL, my dear. It give me the heebie jeebies, to be honest. I have read about dry needling being done more with knee replacements on here than hips but some have had it done. I really don't think I like the sounds of it at all. I'm waiting to hear from Hipster as to his thoughts on it. They are certified at the PT to do it (I can't remember the company they certified through, the paperwork is at home) but I'm still really nervous about it.

This morning I decided to reach out to our old time friend and former Chiropractor who retired 10 years ago and moved out of State. I wanted his opinion on (a) getting another cortisone shot and (b) dry needling. He asked me to call him so I did. We had a very nice conversation about everything that had taken place with my hip replacements.

We had an in depth conversation about the PT that I am having done now and frankly, he expressed that he thought it was probably irritating that Bursa more than it was helping. He made some suggestions, including Acupuncture but more focusing on actual electrotherapy (not ultrasound). He has been gone from our State for several years so doesn't know who he would suggest me seeing but he was going to put together some information and email me with it. He strongly suggested that I check into PT that has certified Acupuncturists with extensive training under their belt.

I am awaiting a call from Hipster and will relay to him this conversation and ask that I end my appointments where I am currently and switch to a place that has several Board Certified MD's, PT's, DC's, NP's, and physicians trained extensively in Acupuncture. I can't even tell you how relieved I feel after talking with our friend, both my husband and I have great faith in his wisdom. Whew, that being said, I am not liking the snowflakes that are coming down AGAIN but I feel a glimmer of hope that I haven't had for quite awhile. Wish me luck as I put the brakes on the current treatment path and switch streams!

Last edited:
Happy that you're feeling some hope after talking with your friend and seem to have a new path forward. Definitely please keep me updated with his it goes as I'm dealing with some of the same issues. Hope that the new path being a you relief.

Not getting snowflakes here but it's been raining and cold the past two days and supposed to be the same tomorrow. Didn't feel like bundling up to drive to the gym and hit the pool so just doing some housework.

@Elf1 - does the rain/cold temperatures make it worse? May I ask how long you've been dealing with Bursitis? Have you had any cortisone shots? Gathering the energy to do much of anything is a daily challenge for me but I keep pushing on. Life is here and I must participate. I read everything I can to see if I am missing something . . . most days I feel like I am banging my head against the wall. I told my husband today that I just want to get out of bed one morning and NOT be thinking about my left hip, wondering if it will ever happen.

I told my husband today that I just want to get out of bed one morning and NOT be thinking about my left hip, wondering if it will ever happen.

I'm so sorry, Kim. I wish the above for you also. I don't even know what to say.
I hope the suggestions you've received from your old chiropractor / friend and fresh eyes at the place you have under consideration prove successful in bringing you relief soon.
Sending a hug. :console2:
@NanaKP

@NanaKP I was feeling stuff along my right thigh from the get go but chalked it up to the external and internal incision area healing. When I went for my 3 month follow up I told the OS everything was great except the hearing pain and he said said it's probably bursitis and shrugged it off.

Went to my GP 2 months later for an appointment and told him I thought I had trochanteric bursitis. He agreed and he asked if I wanted to try a cortisone shot. Figured I didn't have much to lose. I think it may have helped some but think a booster/ follow up would be nice to try.

Mentioned it to my OS when I saw him last month for my 7 month check up and he said he didn't want me getting another injection until it was 3 months from the previous one which would put it end of March.

@NanaKP I just caught up on your thread and am sorry you are feeling discouraged. But then I read about your good friend and his advice and I think he is pointing you in the right direction. I hope the new place is a good fit.
I wanted to mention that my nephew- a pitcher for several years in the MiLB- loved,, absolutely loved dry needling. It was the one thing that helped him when the season would drag on and the inflammation was increasing.
Wishing you the very best and as you requested, wishing you good luck with getting transferred to another facility/clinic.

Yes, Kim, my hip replacement was due to arthritis. Luckily my other hip and knees appear to have very minimal arthritis, so hopefully it will be awhile before I need to deal with them.

My back surgery was to correct spinal stenosis, or narrowing of the space which was compressing nerves, and to repair a disk as well. On my bone density scans they have commented on arthritis. So I may be having some back issues as well as weather related reaction to all of our barometric pressure ups and downs, and our snow. But I think I have been sitting far too much as well and my muscles are tightening up. I've started stretching more and getting a few more steps in and my pain has been less the last few days.

A few days ago I read that we had had snow on 12 out of 19 days, and close to 17 inches of snow, when our average for Feb. was 7......and some of the mountain areas, like Vail have really broken records. I am ready to be done with it!! Are you able to get up to your mountain property/cabin? If I recall, where it's located you probably do have access for part of the winter, but I'n not sure if it's also had record snowfall? Several friends from the Seattle area, including a couple here on BoneSmart have commented on their record breaking rainfall. I think when you have aches and pains, or are recovering from surgery, the wet weather just adds another burden, if you have to be out and about.

I am delighted to hear that you are pursuing another clinic for therapy/support services. I also have a friend who is a chiropractor and he has advised me in the past as well. I appreciate medical professionals who have a holistic approach to things like this. I would not avoid dry needling if they recommend it...the zing lasts just a second.....it's just weird. And in terms of acupuncture, most of the things they do are not painful at all. That was my biggest shock when I've done it. My expectation that all needles=pain was incorrect. I think you are getting closer to a better treatment plan. Sadly your previous route has been very long and difficult, but the fresh start idea sounds good to me. I hope it works out!:loveshwr:

Don't look now @Debru4 but that white stuff if coming down again! Thank goodness we had that yellow thing up in the sky yesterday and it melted quite a bit in our backyard (and the street). My sister and her family are in town from IL - they are up at Copper Mountain and the amount of snow up there is truly record setting. It doesn't appeal to me at all like it maybe once did.

We had such a great relationship with our old chiropractor (friend), I really miss him living here. As in all areas, there are always some bad eggs. I stopped by the pain clinic yesterday to ask the receptionist if this location was a place I needed to start or if another of their locations was better suited to my needs (gave her a brief run down of my history). She set up a consultation for me on Tuesday morning at 10 but really thought having my medical records would help them assess me better. I am not sure I can gather everything I need by then but I'm going to try. I also think having my medical records on hand is a good idea as I may seek the advice of an Orthopedic Surgeon who does only revisions. Our daughter's neighbor knows this doctor really well (she works at one of the hospitals where he is considered one of the BEST). My husband and I aren't sure if I should start with the pain center first or start with the OS. Any thoughts?

I had a Bone Scan roughly 4 years ago and I can't remember getting the results from that. I do believe they were sent to my Gynecologist but she's one verrrrry busy gal so I'm not sure she ever looked at them. I'm due to go back this year to see her so I'm going to ask her. She's about ready to retire so I need to get scheduled before that happens.

Stay warm and yes, keep moving (as I type this from the recliner with a blanket on me)! A good day to stay home by the fire!!

Kim

PS
Our Cabin is about 2 miles from the Wyoming border - it's halfway between Fort Collins and Laramie. We can get there via Tie Siding or Cherokee Park Road. Right now it's 100% INACCESSIBLE. The drifts of snow are over my head and doesn't look to be melting anytime soon. Oh hey Spring, you're welcome to show yourself any time now!!!!

Hi @NanaKP
Wow for the white stuff. We are big wimps down here...
rps20200223_120326.jpg

A flower for you...:flwrysmile:
Come on spring...

That's hilarious @Mojo333 -- I'll take that cup of ice cubes over all of this white stuff. I'm so over it. I managed to pull my Hunter boots out of the closet yesterday before Hubs taped it all off (doing the mudding "drywall" today in our master bedroom, bathroom). Every bedroom is stripped to bare floors. The two extra bedrooms have new lights, paint - we have a temporary bed set up and now my back is bothering me. We've been in a waterbed every since we were married, it's really hard for me to sleep in anything else - we're bed shopping now that ours is completely tore down. What started as a"get rid of the popcorn ceilings" project has turned into a FULL renovation of entire upstairs. We're even down to using the grandson's Mickey Mouse themed bathroom (which will also be completely redone, tile, tub and all). What an undertaking! Husband is very handy and has been on a rewiring mission with new canned lights in every room (oh yeah and outlets that have nightlights in them . . . looks like twilight in every room all night long). I think he's preparing for our golden years -- even suggested we install grip bars in the new shower. Hahahaha. I digress - I blame my ping-pong brain on the stinkin' weather!

I completely forgot to thank you @CricketHip for telling me about your nephew. How exciting to have such a stellar athlete in the family. I was happy to read that DN is a go-to for him. That actually tells me a LOT so again, I thank you.

I also googled "chiropractic adjustments after total hip replacement" and lo and behold, a link to Bonesmart popped right up!!! Bunch of truly amazing people on this Forum and I have recommended it to many.

I completely forgot to thank you @CricketHip for telling me about your nephew.

Oh, you are so welcome! I'm glad it helped ease your mind in regards to Dry Needling. He tells me that he hasn't had anything help him as much as that. Of course he was looking for and needed immediate relief.

Bonesmart is pretty amazing! Thank you for your kind words and recommending it to others..
I still can remember how scared I was over 4 years ago, when faced with my first THR and finding this forum was like an oasis in the desert.

P.S. I would love to have canned lights, especially in the living room. sigh. lucky you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back