TKR Recovering from TKR Jan 28/20

Does anyone who still has their staples in find it hard to bend the knee? I have a gel bandage over it and it seems to be holding me back. Can’t wait to get those staples out. A week tomorrow!

No staples , glue..but had the aquacel bandage removed , and only made a slight difference in knee bend...Was hoping the bandage once removed would provide more bending, less pain...Didn’t happen for me... 23 days post op...knee is tight, stiff and constant ache...sleep is miserable..but each passing day, a tad better...learning from the pros here, TIME and not necessarily PT, is your friend...have another PT session today, gonna take it easy...

No staples , glue..but had the aquacel bandage removed , and only made a slight difference in knee bend...Was hoping the bandage once removed would provide more bending, less pain...Didn’t happen for me... 23 days post op...knee is tight, stiff and constant ache...sleep is miserable..but each passing day, a tad better...learning from the pros here, TIME and not necessarily PT, is your friend...have another PT session today, gonna take it easy...

I’m just behind you Qdogpa at 17 days post op. Still a lot of pain and stiffness. Trying to take some walks outside when it’s not too cold and snowy. I learned a lot here too. Thankful for this forum.
Looking forward to getting these staples out and this aquaculture off. Feels like it’s holding me back. Maybe just making excuses. ;)

*that’s aquacel... auto correct.

Just coming into my fourth week post surgery. Still a lot of pain so I’m not sleeping that well at night. Went for a short walk outside when it was mild. Just a cane and my husband’s arm. Looking forward to having the staples removed this Friday!
Feeling kind of down as the days go by slowly with not a lot of progress. Trying to get up and walk around and do a few things but really I just want to sleep until spring and my knee doesn’t hurt anymore. Guess I’m feeling sorry for myself but I don’t think I was quite prepared for this as I thought I was.

@Joha123 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Just coming into my fourth week post surgery. Still a lot of pain so I’m not sleeping that well at night. Went for a short walk outside when it was mild. Just a cane and my husband’s arm. Looking forward to having the staples removed this Friday!
They're only now going to remove your staples? That's a long time to leave them.

I hope the removal goes well and you feel your knee is easier to bend afterwards.

@Joha123 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

I’m sorry
I wanted to just change the heading of my thread but couldn’t find the way to do it so I started a new one instead. Could you change the heading for me? My iPhone app won’t do it. ‍♀️

It’s easy to feel sorry for ourselves, and it makes a lot of sense. This is a tough recovery. It helps me to shift my expectations, to create goals that are in reach, and to celebrate them big time. I’m struggling with that, myself, just now, but we’ll get there.

I hope that pain eases up and you can get better sleep. That will help a bunch.

I wanted to just change the heading of my thread but couldn’t find the way to do it so I started a new one instead. Could you change the heading for me?
What would you like it changed to?

Week three under my belt. Not sleeping that great yet. Still have a lot of pain but walking around the house handsfree! My knee is still swollen and feels hot. Just taking Tylenol and ibuprofen now. It’s a long slow haul. Not very happy these days. Can’t wait for the snow to melt and spring weather to appear. In the mean time....

4 weeks post op tomorrow, and have same lack of sleep you have experienced. I have scaled back on PT, just really walk about home, and got outside today as winter is on hiatus! Knee is tight and achy..time is our friend , but honestly , tough to keep singing that tune!

I'm 9 weeks out. I experienced what I call the welders torch knee cap. My knee cap would have intense burning pain. I also had a lot of medial pain which felt like someone was pulling my inner knee area with strings as if I was a puppet and this would happen in specific areas separately- like having your nerves as the puppets strings.
Ooch! I have started getting these pains late in the day (now 3 weeks done). Also lots of stabbing last night for hours.

Thought it would get better not worse.

4 weeks post op tomorrow, and have same lack of sleep you have experienced. I have scaled back on PT, just really walk about home, and got outside today as winter is on hiatus! Knee is tight and achy..time is our friend , but honestly , tough to keep singing that tune!

Guh! How much longer?
Got out of the house today. Went for a drive with hubby.
Came home and we had a drink and it seemed to make the inflammation worse. Does alcohol make things worse? I was thinking it would be relaxing and enjoyable. Maybe not. :(

Had a few cocktails over the weekend, didn’t experience anything different. the tightness/ stiffness , constant ache of knee is very frustrating . Took 2 walks, some exercises and 5 minutes on the elliptical today...ice and elevate rest of day..PT tomorrow..

Oh good so maybe I just overdid it somewhere else
Can’t take everything away. Ya gotta live right?
Feeling better now. So glad we all have each other to bounce things off of.
Very helpful and encouraging! Thanks!

Had a bad night last night. Exactly three weeks post op today. Last night my knee was so inflamed and sore I could hardly walk. I was up all night and ended up on the couch with my leg raised and iced. Took a ton of ibuprofen but it didn’t seem to touch it. I feel like I’m going backwards! So discouraging!

What medication are you taking besides ibuprofen?

It will get better! I hit 4 weeks today, and last night sleep was only miserable not terrible! PT today I was able to cycle on Cybex for 10 grueling minutes...had a pretty strenuous session, so feel a bit achy and knee is tight..worked on the “down “ stepping as well...will attempt a walk later, as it’s near 50 here in Philly burbs, though overcast ...Yesterday was able to use my elipitcal for 5 minutes, so progress is coming along! Hang in there !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks