Bilateral THR Complete!

Vaachek

Country
United States United States
So, both hips done with Mako. Went at 7:30, in room but 1. Just had PT, she said moving better than expected. Pain managed, maybe get out tomorrow afternoon. No more fears or apprehension, pain is minimal, not like the pain from hips

:welome:

Welcome to Recovery! You're off to a good start. I hope all continues to go well for you. Take it slow, lots of healing to happen.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often with updates so we can follow your progress. Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It's a bit of an adrenaline rush to be on the other side...lots of healing happening but all Temporary.
This is a life changing surgery...was for me.
If you didnt hear it preop...I'm sure you did...your new nickname will be either Both at Once!?? Or At The Same Time!??:heehee:
Congratulations and hope you will be home soon to assume the position :ice::ice:

Congratulations on your brand new shiny hips!
Its great to hear that your pain is well managed. I hope you can snag so e sleep tonight! :yay:

It's a bit of an adrenaline rush to be on the other side...lots of healing happening but all Temporary.
This is a life changing surgery...was for me.
If you didnt hear it preop...I'm sure you did...your new nickname will be either Both at Once!?? Or At The Same Time!??:heehee:
Congratulations and hope you will be home soon to assume the position :ice::ice:

Call me what you like, just keep showing up!!!

Congratulations on your brand new shiny hips!
Its great to hear that your pain is well managed. I hope you can snag so e sleep tonight! :yay:

not holding out hope for much sleep, I’m a steadfast side-sleeper so on my back will be tricky. Also, the have IV fluids going in, infusing at 125 ml/hr and I’m peeing back 100/hr, also not good for sleeping

The back sleeping wasn't great, but then sleep preop with bad hips also became impossible for me.:nah:
Not sure what led to your BTHR, but OA was the culprit for me.
They didn't offer me ice at the hospital, and I was too fog brained to ask for any...so once i got home and could get into a recliner with a ton of ice, i was able to get more comfortable.
Hope you will be on your way home soon.

The back sleeping wasn't great, but then sleep preop with bad hips also became impossible for me.:nah:
Not sure what led to your BTHR, but OA was the culprit for me.
They didn't offer me ice at the hospital, and I was too fog brained to ask for any...so once i got home and could get into a recliner with a ton of ice, i was able to get more comfortable.
Hope you will be on your way home soon.

OA for me as well, less than 10degrees abduction in both, made being an ER nurse impossible. Stairs today...

:wave:Stairs were a bit of a challenge for me at hospital...but only because the legs are in shock and heavy and the soft tissue was quite sore. Especially quads.
I went through the motions, minimally, as they are making sure you can if you need to...then avoided them until more healing could happen.
Your patience muscle will need flexing more than any others for the next 6 weeks and activity needs to be reintroduced incrementally.
Slow and Steady does win this race.

I can do this now.:chuckmarch:

Hi there @Vaachek

Welcome to the healing side. Congratulations on your new hips! Hears to hoping that back sleeping comes together for you. Best of luck in the hospital and with those first few steps.

Good Morning :wave:
With any luck you were able to rest comfortably last night with pain well managed. I hope today is a good one. You'll definitely rest better once you're back home.
Happy Friday! :)
@Vaachek

Good Morning :wave:
With any luck you were able to rest comfortably last night with pain well managed. I hope today is a good one. You'll definitely rest better once you're back home.
Happy Friday! :)
@Vaachek
[/QUOTE]

Hi Layla,
not much sleep, but had a 6hr nap between surgery and post op. Just spent time w PT and OT. PT coming at 1:30 to work on stairs, home tomorrow if that goes well!!!

Congratulations on your new hips and :welome: to recovery. It has its challenges but so much better than pre op that soon it becomes a distant memory. Naps:sleep: and ice are both wonderful things during recovery as is taking meds on a schedule so to avoid pain.

Congratulations on your new hips and :welome: to recovery. It has its challenges but so much better than pre op that soon it becomes a distant memory. Naps:sleep: and ice are both wonderful things during recovery as is taking meds on a schedule so to avoid pain.

hi Lee, and thanks, it’s great to be here. Day 2 has allowed me to fully embrace the pain. PT and OT stopped this am, gonna try stairs in 90min. Just took a sink bath, moving forward, and thus far, happy and grateful

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020