Bilateral TKR November 26th bilateral knee replacement

Blu

Country
United States United States
Cried myself to sleep. Want to know more about making sure I'm doing the right things to get my knees working properly!

@Blu ,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Recovering from BTKR can be challenging, the post op blues and lack of sleep seem to go along with BTKR's and TKR's.
What you are experiencing is normal after joint replacement.
In the articles I am going to leave you include articles about lack of sleep and the post op blues.
Keep us posted on how you are doing, and post any concerns and questions you have about your recovery here in your thread.
I have also added you the November Nimbles, where you will find other members who had surgery around the same time as you.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Blu, welcome to Bonesmart. I'm sorry you cried yourself to sleep. Were you in pain? Pain at night is an indication that you are doing too much during the day. Your knees don't need aggressive exercises. They just need gentle movements. Walking around during the day doing your daily activities is all they need. If you take PT, it should be gentle and never cause pain. No pain at the time or that night. If you do have pain, your knees are not ready for that exercise or movement. Let them be the boss!

Reactions: Blu
Most of us have been there Blu... We've also laughed at ourselves and our clumsiness etc. I've almost never any depression but this recovery is not for the weak. Hang in there, you'll see progress soon.

Talk to us, we're here for you.

Thanks for giving me some hope knowing what I'm going thru with my bilateral knee surgery is normal! My pt has made tears come . I will now speak to her about having me getting my knees better doesn't have to require severe pain. Will be two months tomorrow. Was getting very down about getting better. No sleep and while trying to smile have lots of tears instead. Reading others words have made me realize I'll be okay!

Thank you for your words. Feel better about this. Already!

I've also never had depression enter my life until now! Felt so useless at times! Now know this is all something that comes with bilateral knee surgery

Certain ways I move my legs at night trying to sleep slams me with pain! Also although I exercise both knees same time my right knee is better than my left? 117 left 122 right... don't think I can make it to 150?

You poor thing. It can be a very lonely place when you are sore, tired and feeling a bit hopeless.
I had RightTKR on 22nd January 2019 and have struggled with sleep, I have hardly managed more than an hour before waking up to huge discomfort and trying to rearrange myself into a comfortable position to start all over again..
Then I discovered Bonesmart ( very recently) and had so many positive messages of support with such good sensible advice that I felt so much better just knowing that most of what we are going through is normal and experienced by many people in recovery.in one way or another and will hopefully resolve in time..
I am struggling with one knee, two knees !! I think you are marvellous.
Don't be discouraged, last night I slept for nearly 3 hours, a first in many many weeks.
Natural healing does not cause severe pain, do wish the PT, s could embrace this a little more.
Take care....

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Not sure I understand about Threads?

Is it okay for my email address is known to all?

This is your recovery thread. It's all about you. All questions, comments, etc etc should be on this one thread, so all readers can see (a) what you ask (b) replies (c) your progress. That's why we like just one.
Yes, if you wish. Please quote it in a way difficult for bots to read, e.g

'I am fred dot nurk at gmail dot com'

A thread is made up of posts.
This is your recovery thread, where you should post all your updates and questions about your own recovery.

Everyone who has had surgery has their own recovery thread.

It's much better if it isn't.

It's possible for anyone to read what you've posted, even if they aren't a member of BoneSmart - and there are lots of malevolent people out there on the internet.
Posting your email address for all to see could make you a victim of dozens of "spam" and scam posts.

In any case, we prefer any discussion about your recovery to be kept in the open forum, so other people can also see any advice you're given. That advice just might help them as well.

I had my LTKR a day after you had both of yours done. Your ROM is so much better than mine, and it makes me think you should be blowing raspberries at the therapist or at least rolling your eyes at her.

How do I remove my email address?

Saw it posted on this site

Thank you all for your replies!! They bring smiles instead of tears!

How do I remove my email address?
When Roy merged your second recovery thread to this one he deleted that email address and used the current title of your thread.

Thank you Roy for deleting my email address

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom