THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to do just one or two exercises that didn't compound the pain and other issues and only if I did just a few repetitions.
Thank you for your response. I will stay with the few at home that do not cause more pain.

Yes, now my allergy testing is completed, too!

@VSlowLife I know I had been doing treadmill before surgery, it got too bad so stopped. Switched over to the pool walking, doing light stretches in the water, etc and I finally had to give that up. Luckily my Lead at work was pretty understanding as there were days I'd shoot him a text and say you're either letting me work from home today or I'm staying home sick! He usually let me work from home. :heehee:

Thank you @Elf1 . I gave up the treadmill a while back :tantrum:.

Then, pool walking was not agreeable. The slow, painful grind of bone on bone. :gaah:

You were so lucky your employment had such flexibility. :SUNsmile:

@VSlowLife, I am so glad that you are cutting back on the exercises that hurt. You still have some weeks to go and causing yourself more pain will not help now and really will not do much for recovery. Do what you can that does not hurt. All I could do was ankle pumps, butt squeezes and quad tightening and hold. Even these I did not overdo as my main focus was getting through the waiting till surgery without adding to the awful pain I was already having.

Your time is coming for relief and I know that it is not ever soon enough when we are hurting. Hang in there and do just what is necessary. I am now starting to catch up on some things around the house and it is so much easier and I can actually enjoy some of it without being in pain.

I hope you will be able to get some sleep tonight.

:umm:PT is Useless...totally at this point.
Just normal activity is painful and aggravating those hips will just make you more miserable, in my opinion.

You've done all you can do...just eat well, and if you must do something you can use some small hand weights while sitting on a heating pad (this is what my last weeks looked like) and work on building up some arm strength.
Hang in there...soon!

Do what you can that does not hurt. All I could do was ankle pumps, butt squeezes and quad tightening and hold. Even these I did not overdo as my main focus was getting through the waiting till surgery without adding to the awful pain I was already having.
You are so right. Thank you so much for the gentle exercise ideas. :loveshwr:

Day two post PT pre-surgery “gentle“ exercises, and I still have pain that is worse than before PT.

:umm:PT is Useless...totally at this point.
Just normal activity is painful and aggravating those hips will just make you more miserable, in my opinion.
Absolutely, now I am a believer.

and if you must do something you can use some small hand weights while sitting on a heating pad (this is what my last weeks looked like) and work on building up some arm strength.
I will try this today. Thank you so much, Mojo333 :loveshwr:

@VSlowLife Agree with all above. Especially building up hand and arm strength. Your left hand will take the brunt of it, so even squeezing a tennis ball.

My Mother was a nutritionist, so I guess I started life believing it really makes a difference. Vitamin C is very important to help you fight off infection, zinc helps with healing. Protein after surgery for rebuilding. My hospital had a list, but also found great one here.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/healing-phases-nutrition.21918/

Sending sleeping dust. Sleep is powerful. xx ❤

I was wondering if Josephine’s colorful pain chart with the explanation for “leap frogging” if you will, medication, is located as a library source? I booked marked It for me, when Layla had suggested it to Leejaa last year.

I just think it is such a great resource.

Another step completed. You are doing so great in prepping and having collected all the information and ideas for months. I hope you have a nice day, we are having snow, ice coming and very cold and windy. Glad I have no where to be so I can just watch it blow outside across the field.

@leejaa Thank you. Stay warm and safe. I am south of you so just beautiful snow during the day, yesterday, but temps will be in the mid 40s so It melted today.

The Artic Ice gripper shoes came yesterday, slide in, slide out by Merrell. The main company was out of them and returned my money, but Nordstrom still had some in stock, online. My local retailer could not get them in, either.

Mainegirl1 and/or Gertie had suggested them. I already have cramp-ons for snow boots. I had to order the men’s 8 Merrell Arctic Gripper because the women’s 9 wide was not as wide as the regular Merrell Jungle Mocs, slide in, slide out.

They fit me well! Not sexy, but very useful. It’s very difficult to pivot your hip in these shoes, and as a former skater, I would love to pivot on a slippery floor. Then came osteoarthritis :no-fin: I still can be tempted.

@LD of Michigan Hope you stay warm and safe, too. Once in a blue moon my area gets 33” all at once. We are over due.

I understand. Comfort and fit is so important. More men’s size 8 shoes/sneakers may be in my future. I am sure after this hip is replaced I will need sturdier sandals, too.

Here on BoneSmart, we recommend using the 500 mg Tylenol tablets (Tylenol Extra Strength) and taking 2 x 500 mg tablets 6-hourly - with the precautions about checking other medications that I mentioned earlier.
I just ordered these from Peapod the grocery store delivery service. There are also fast acting gel caps, and I am very glad you were specific about tablets. Hiding my 625mg pills.

Any suggestions about a specific food you found useful to have at home post surgery? Maybe a healthy dessert-type food? I have healthy frozen dinners made up. I made and froze a pumpkin pie. Vitamin A and protein. Thinking what else could freeze well and be healthy?

The pumpkin pie sounds like a great idea.. much better than my binge of vanilla malts on a daily basis! I have so many regrets about that! :gaah:

I think there is a thread about pre op prepping in the social room and I'm guessing if you post your questions there, that maybe @lovetocookandsew might have some ideas?
Since I craved ice cream, like many do afterwards, it makes me wonder about frozen yogurt, would that have been a better choice for me?
In fact, I just finished eating a very tasty no fat yogurt with frozen unsweetened berries. Lots of protein and vitamins. Seems like the yogurts have a long shelf life in the refrigerator, maybe that would work?
Here's the link to the social room thread: looks like you've seen it, though.

You may find that you lose your appettie for a while after surgery and all those good, protein-rich meals just don't appeal.

For at least the first couple of weeks, all I wanted to eat was a cup of soup and some toast. I did try to have a poached egg on toast for breakfast, so I was getting some protein, but I just couldn't face proper meals.

Aim for the best diet you can, but son't be surprised if you can't manage it at first. I think my body was traumatized by the surgery, to the extent that it couldn't cope with a normal diet at first. It had to be something light and easily digested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back