Bilateral THR Bilateral hip replacement, anterior

When I got home, in about the 3-4th week I walked about a half a block each day with a walker. The area outside my place is flat. I once walked up the incline of the underground parking ramp and had to ice for 2 days, so I would not recommend inclines in the early weeks.

Also highly recommend an electric lift/recliner chair if you can afford it. I was able to rent one and it was a godsend.
PS... I did do Skip the Dishes once in a while, but I was able to order groceries online through our local major grocery store chains. I was able to stand long enough to cook simple meals, baked salmon fillets, steamed veg and rice. I recommend cooking a batch of rice (I did brown basmati) and freeze it in 1/2 cup portions in ziploc bags. It heats up quite well in the microwave. I was able to stand much easier after the operation as I was at such an awful stage beforehand, I could barely stand long enough to scramble some eggs.

Last edited:
You are so right. I own 48 acres and there is NO flat area except a small spot down buy my barn which I would have to drive to. Unfortunately, I will have to walk inside my little house.....it is going to get tedious. Do you know if it is possible to use an exercise bike instead? There is no Uber, etc here, and even if there was, I doubt they would want to come up my road!

jwadds...I may not be replying correctly on this sight, sorry. Anyway, as I said above, there is NO flat area around my house. I will have to "pace" up and down my tiny farmhouse. Do you know if using an exercise bike would be possible?
I don't have a recliner, but I do have a tempurpedic adjustable bed which I think will work as well?
As for food delivery, I doubt that would be possible other than food that could be ordered on Amazon, only problem there is that they would leave it in the mailbox which is way down the road and will be not accessible to me. Mmmmm, the challenges.

@Rosalita I live alone, too, not a remote area, but I have made up dinners on sturdy paper plates, popped them in ziploc bags (I recycle them) for the freezer. My daughter helped me make about half. It’s not easy for me to to bake/cook these days, and I bought some 1/2 sheet pans of local food, to combine with veggies, pre-buttered and seasoned things before sliding into a freezer bag. I will be microwaving to reheat.

I started eating other things in the freezer to make space for the meals to fit.

By any chance does your community have meals on wheels? They can supply two meals M-F. Usually a senior center helps out with meals on wheels.

Can you stock up on some canned items? I have tried canned chicken breast and it was not a bad substitute, for a quick chicken salad or a soup. Canned tuna fish, salmon? A bean soup or other soup to freeze? Canned beans can help make healthy meals, too. Some cheeses may have a good shelf life. Cheese can be a good protein snack all by itself.
There are always canned veggie and fruits or dried fruits in a pinch. Also nuts are a good snack. Good old peanut butter is around 6 grams of protein per tablespoon. I have read some folks make up rice and put it in 1/2 cup servings in bags and freeze. I think you can freeze fresh eggs, just stir a bit, and pop them in ice cube trays, then store in a freezer container.
There are shelf stable milks, but they are pricey.

You could check with the county, they might have a senior center, sad but true we qualify, and they might have meals on wheels or such. I can't remember what they had in NC but over hear we have NETRANS which will come to your house with a van if you need transportation, they are handicapped equipped and prepared for people on walkers and such. In the first 2 weeks before you drive you're not going to be doing any distance walking! Trips to the bathroom will suffice, I doubt you'll want laps in your house to start with. Once you're driving the shopping center is the best walking track, once you can master that with a shopping cart then a flat walking track at the school or park with your cane.

Consider putting a call in to the surgeon's office ... talk to the nurse or PA ... and ask them for help accessing any available services ... they can put in calls to the right people who know what's available to you ... Surgeons want us to have a good experience, including afterwards ...

Also the rehab facility you are planning to go to ... they will have a social worker or someone on staff who knows about available services for you.

In fact part of the discharge from rehab (the ones I've had experiences with with my family members) is for you to have any and all services you need.

@Rosalita in my experience I don't believe you'll need an exercise bike. The physiotherapist will give you exercises to do that are just standing or lying down on the bed... but I found, for me, just doing daily activities, showering, cooking, loading dishwasher was enough for the first 5-6 weeks. I was really debilitated prior to surgery, so I was quite out of shape, but I feel I've recovered quite well, with doing just walking. I actually did a hike with my daughter on a groomed trail 14 weeks after surgery.

I am using an exercise bike but that was at my instigation - I started at about 4 weeks but I have a recumbent exercise bike that is easy to get on since it is just sitting with back support and I adjusted the distance so I would not break my 90 degree rule. I just started with 10m without at level 1 which is basically no pressure just to get some movement and moved through very slowly. I am at almost 9 weeks and have upped it to 20m with some variation in tension. I do not know how getting up on a regular bike style exercise bike would be? I did ask my at home PT to just check me out to make sure I was not breaking the 90 degree rule. I enjoy it so I do it but it is not necessary for recovery. The other reason is that I live in the country and with it being winter walking surfaces are limited - even the road gets yucky and I have hills which are not fun at this stage and might cause me more pain.

Hi @Rosalita, I live in Raleigh, NC and I'm trying to find a surgeon that will do BTHR. I think I found one, I'm meeting with him March 20th. He said I sound like a good candidate but they (Duke) don't do both hips at once very often, which worries me. I also live alone and have limited help, so I feel your pain (literally:)). Curious, where are you getting yours done? How many BTHR's has your surgeon done in the past?

Hi JMM, Sorry for the delay in response. I have been away. Anyway, I live in Bakersville, NC. My surgeon is in Asheville, NC. He told me that he does several bilaterals a month. This was reassuring to me. His name is Dr Barnett with Asheville Orthopaedic Associates.
Toren

@Rosalita I live alone, too, not a remote area, but I have made up dinners on sturdy paper plates, popped them in ziploc bags (I recycle them) for the freezer. My daughter helped me make about half. It’s not easy for me to to bake/cook these days, and I bought some 1/2 sheet pans of local food, to combine with veggies, pre-buttered and seasoned things before sliding into a freezer bag. I will be microwaving to reheat.

I started eating other things in the freezer to make space for the meals to fit.

By any chance does your community have meals on wheels? They can supply two meals M-F. Usually a senior center helps out with meals on wheels.

Can you stock up on some canned items? I have tried canned chicken breast and it was not a bad substitute, for a quick chicken salad or a soup. Canned tuna fish, salmon? A bean soup or other soup to freeze? Canned beans can help make healthy meals, too. Some cheeses may have a good shelf life. Cheese can be a good protein snack all by itself.
There are always canned veggie and fruits or dried fruits in a pinch. Also nuts are a good snack. Good old peanut butter is around 6 grams of protein per tablespoon. I have read some folks make up rice and put it in 1/2 cup servings in bags and freeze. I think you can freeze fresh eggs, just stir a bit, and pop them in ice cube trays, then store in a freezer container.
There are shelf stable milks, but they are pricey.
VSlowLife Great food ideas. I hadn't thought of Meals on Wheels! They do have it around here. Not sure if they would appreciate my long steep driveway. I will be stocking up on nuts, dried fruit, canned veggies. Thanks for your tips!
Toren

ll your ideas.

Consider putting a call in to the surgeon's office ... talk to the nurse or PA ... and ask them for help accessing any available services ... they can put in calls to the right people who know what's available to you ... Surgeons want us to have a good experience, including afterwards ...

Also the rehab facility you are planning to go to ... they will have a social worker or someone on staff who knows about available services for you.

In fact part of the discharge from rehab (the ones I've had experiences with with my family members) is for you to have any and all services you need.
Going4fun, Yes, I am sure the rehab will help with finding services after discharge. I think I will call the senior center and find out what is available...and you are right, the surgeons office should be a good resource as they want you to heal well after the surgery and not return with added problems! ha! Thanks,
Toren

@Rosalita in my experience I don't believe you'll need an exercise bike. The physiotherapist will give you exercises to do that are just standing or lying down on the bed... but I found, for me, just doing daily activities, showering, cooking, loading dishwasher was enough for the first 5-6 weeks. I was really debilitated prior to surgery, so I was quite out of shape, but I feel I've recovered quite well, with doing just walking. I actually did a hike with my daughter on a groomed trail 14 weeks after surgery.
Hi jwadds, I guess I will just take it day by day. I like doing my exercise bike but who know if it will be a good idea after surgery. I guess I will wait and see. I am in pretty good physical condition now, other than my hips, so am hoping the bike will be an option after a few weeks. Once I can drive I will be able to go to a place where I can walk (no flat land here). Mountains...
Toren

I am using an exercise bike but that was at my instigation - I started at about 4 weeks but I have a recumbent exercise bike that is easy to get on since it is just sitting with back support and I adjusted the distance so I would not break my 90 degree rule. I just started with 10m without at level 1 which is basically no pressure just to get some movement and moved through very slowly. I am at almost 9 weeks and have upped it to 20m with some variation in tension. I do not know how getting up on a regular bike style exercise bike would be? I did ask my at home PT to just check me out to make sure I was not breaking the 90 degree rule. I enjoy it so I do it but it is not necessary for recovery. The other reason is that I live in the country and with it being winter walking surfaces are limited - even the road gets yucky and I have hills which are not fun at this stage and might cause me more pain.
leejaa, it sounds like your bike is a lot better for post hip surgery than mine. I don't know if I will be able to use mine or not. I, too, live in the country where there is no flat land to walk. It sounds like everyone is a little different. Bilateral replacement will make a difference too I am sure.
Toren

WOW! Bakersville, you do live pretty remote. I haven't been that way in years but I'm just north west of you and my daughter lives on top of Beech Mountain. Did you get snow yesterday? I don't have any flat around here but don't get too worked up about exercise and walking. As you've figured out once you get back to driving you can go to a track or someplace flat to walk.

There is a thread in the social room where a staff member @lovetocookandsew has an extensive list of meal prep ideas, so I can’t take all the credit. The forum advisors guided me there. I think your own food is comforting, when you can make some extra.

In my town the meals on wheels program has full-time paid staff with trucks, since we can get a sudden deep snowstorm. My town accepts whatever you are able to contribute, but tops it at $3.50 per meal. It varies depending on where you live.

VSlowLife Great food ideas.

WOW! Bakersville, you do live pretty remote. I haven't been that way in years but I'm just north west of you and my daughter lives on top of Beech Mountain. Did you get snow yesterday? I don't have any flat around here but don't get too worked up about exercise and walking. As you've figured out once you get back to driving you can go to a track or someplace flat to walk.
Yes, it is remote. No broadband internet service here, never mind Uber!! Did you have bilateral hip replacement?
Yes, a little snow here but not much. It is 10 degrees here now and my monitor heater has quit...waiting for the repair guy. So glad I have a wood stove!:)
Toren

You could check with the county, they might have a senior center, sad but true we qualify, and they might have meals on wheels or such. I can't remember what they had in NC but over hear we have NETRANS which will come to your house with a van if you need transportation, they are handicapped equipped and prepared for people on walkers and such. In the first 2 weeks before you drive you're not going to be doing any distance walking! Trips to the bathroom will suffice, I doubt you'll want laps in your house to start with. Once you're driving the shopping center is the best walking track, onceTh you can master that with a shopping cart then a flat walking track at the school or park with your cane.
Thanks! I called Mitchell Transportation in Bakersville yesterday and they have a great service. They just need a little notice and they will come pick you up and drop you off at your appointment or whatever in county. They only charge $20 round trip from here to Asheville for dr appt. I am relieved. Also, they go 3 days a week to Walmart for whoever wants to go.
I wonder how long before I will be able to drive myself? Mmmmm
Toren

I've had both hips replaced but over 1 1/2 years apart. That's great that your county has a transportation option, most do now and at an affordable cost. $20 to go to Asheville and back is very reasonable considering the roads and distance. Doing 1 hip at a time I could drive at 2-3 weeks but I'm sure bilateral is different. The lifting of your leg to work the brake is the big factor along with comfort. With my right it was very uncomfortable to sit in the car seat. Just driving a few miles to town was very uncomfortable.
I heat with wood but have a gas furnace for more temperate days. Been feeding the stove steadily for the last few days.

@Rosalita As I recall my surgeons said not to drive for about 6-8 weeks. Criteria for resuming driving included not taking narcotic pain meds during the day and being able to easily move legs through any and all actions required for driving a car .... including emergency actions!

I think I fudged a bit and drove to a near by store (about 1.5 miles away) at about 5 weeks - clear weather, straight shot to the store with few turns, and low traffic time of day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom