THR Becki's Both Hips Done in 2019 Recovery Thread

Well day 1 went ok! I have a special parking spot at work now that is next to the entrance, which was so nice. Maneuvering on crutches at work went well. Like you @Chris1962 I used a small backpack to haul around a notepad for meetings, or food. I put my lunch in a plastic Rubbermaid type bowl and in ball jars so I could easily pop them into the backpack then take them where I needed to. @Chris1962 I hadn't thought of not using my purse, that's a good idea. The unexpected surprise of the day was walking in and seeing a co-worker also on crutches from hurting her ankle playing basketball!

@Chris1962--
I am also ditching my purse for now because it keeps trying to hit me.

This made me laugh out loud....Sometimes it does seem like the "things" in our life are intentionally out to get us when we are recovering and trying so hard to be careful and not hurt ourselves! I've been pretty annoyed with my purse as well for assorted affronts!:heehee:

Sounds like you did amazingly well your first day back at work. @Beckianne Hoping you are easing in with part time for a bit. Your body has been through a lot this last 6 months. Resting, if an option, might help if there is somewhere to lay down. My work chair can cause me pain when I sit too long at the computer. I have it raised to proper level, cushion for seat and lower back, and I still have to get up and move about.

Wonderful that you have such great support with work, church, friends. Hoping your new world is bright and beautiful. Your story is very inspiring. :SUNsmile:

Hi @Beckianne
Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty! :yay:
I hope the rest of the work week is going as well as Monday did.
TGIF tomorrow....you'll have the weekend to catch up on rest if you're feeling tired.
Wishing you a good one!

Hi @Beckianne I just read through your recovery thread and had the same experience as you, first hip was pretty easy peasy- second hip made me rethink things a bit! Just wanted you to know that I was still on a cane at one month but now at 6 months things are going very well.
Loved your story about returning to work and how you managed, keep up the good attitude but I hope you will consider taking a day off if you begin to feel extra tired or sore. You've been through a lot in the past 6 months.
2020 is going to be a good one for us!!

Thanks so much @Layla for my one-month anniversary greeting! And thanks @CricketHip for sharing your experience. I liked how you wrote "second hip made me rethink things" … I too was thinking that a few times! I just kept reminding myself it was indeed worth it to add life to my years :)

Week 1 went pretty well and by Friday I was really tired and very ready to go home :sleep:. My energy levels were really low and my brain fog has been consistent, making me ditzy so I pretty much stayed in my PJ's all weekend. My activity included: listening to the advice on BoneSmart, walking, nothing too sustained yet beyond like 10 or 15 minutes of walking a few times, watching Disney+, icing and elevating my hip, and erring on the side of being cautious and conservative with my energy vs. pushing myself. At 7:30AM as I write this, I'm just really getting through a foggy brain with my second cup of coffee. I'm looking forward to work, but, I'm still fatigued. I now realized that having 2 hip replacements within 6-months is a lot of surgery.

For walking, by Thursday I was walking without crutches for 1/2 the day in the office building where my team is located. So the morning I would walk without crutches, then in the afternoon I used my crutches. Then on Friday I felt tired but decided to give no crutches walking a shot and that worked well. I had to focus on good form in walking, and walk slowly and deliberately, but I'm now walking without crutches! :spin:

For standing up and moving at work, I needed a little help. Sometimes I get really deep into projects and I forget to stand up, so, I downloaded an app to my iPhone called "Silent Touch Timer" from Ryan McCardle (cost is $US 1.00). That's been very helpful for me to time my work and remembering to stand up every 30 min. to walk around a few minutes. It makes your phone screen blink brightly, but it does not set off an alarm, so its a bit nicer to use in an office setting.

Oh and about that Ice :ice:. Taking the fine folks advice here to heart, I brought an ice pack to work that I bought from CVS, here's the one I used: CVS Health Cold Pain Relief Pack. Walgreen has a version too that I like better but use at home.

So ready to start week 2, deal with my foggy brain at work, extend my walking and keep resting and icing! Thank you @RinTinTin @Layla @CricketHip @Debru4 @Fit4Family @Jaycey @Eman85 @Mojo333 @LD of Michigan @FCBayern @Elf1 @Chris1962 and so many others for your kind and generous support :hugzz::)

For standing up and moving at work, I needed a little help. Sometimes I get really deep into projects and I forget to stand up, so, I downloaded an app to my iPhone called "Silent Touch Timer" from Ryan McCardle (cost is $US 1.00). That's been very helpful for me to time my work and remembering to stand up every 30 min. to walk around a few minutes. It makes your phone screen blink brightly, but it does not set off an alarm, so its a bit nicer to use in an office setting.
What a great idea for a quiet environment! You are creative at using different tools to manage recovery while working at a desk. I wonder what prompted him to create the app?

Hi @Beckianne
I hope you are planning on another easy does it weekend to rehab from your work week.
Many members complain of the brain fog issue, and there are many things blamed for it...including specific drugs used in anaesthesia, post op meds, and a natural brain swelling response to inflammation especially after a major surgery.
A friend of mine highly reminded me to include in my diet foods high in Omega 3s that she touts for brain health, but also promotes healing and tissue regeneration.

Fish for dinner?:tada:

Hi @Beckianne ! I also had both my hips replaced in 2019, although a little further apart than you. I did the first in January and the second the end of November. The first was a very easy recovery and the second, not so much. It will be 8 weeks this coming Tuesday and over the past week and a half, I'm finally feeling like I'm recuperating. I'm pretty much off the cane in the house, although I still take it when I go out, just in case. I've been working from home since the week following my surgery and actually been working more hours than I normally do these past 2 weeks. And I've been doing PT and the last week or so I feel like I'm really accomplishing something.

It sounds like you are coming along and I think it's amazing you are back to work and everything after having both your surgeries so close together. Wishing you continued success with your recovery.

Such an encouraging update @Beckianne Thrilled for you that you are walking without your crutches. :yay: That foggy brain is very familiar to me. Sounds like your lounging weekend was just the ticket.

Glad work is going so well for you. Enjoy your Sunday!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to read an update if you have time to share one next time you're on the forum.
I hope all is well as you continue healing.
Have a great week!
@Beckianne

Hi @VSlowLife ~ Happy Saturday! I looked into the original reason the app was created. Apparently it was created for public speaking, so that speakers would know when their time was running down but not have an audible alarm interrupting their talk.

Happy Saturday @Mojo333! That's good to know I wasn't the only one with that. In retrospect I wish I could have had 6 weeks off instead of 4 so I could let that brain fog dissipate a bit more. I did go for the fish though like you shared with me. I started eating sardines everyday :) Its been good. And my husband is mostly tolerant of the smell thanks to his poor sense of smell :) It was about 3 weeks for my brain fog to dissipate, which was so welcome.

I can run off lots of folks with a can of sardines in mustard sauce on a Ritz cracker:eeeuw:
Good for you though.Omega 3s and bones have lots of calcium too.

I like salmon filets and eat them twice a week. Really easy to broil and add some steam in the bag veggies... as I'm not very chefy.

Hope your weekend is sweet.:SUNsmile:

@Beckianne Happy Saturday! Good to hear from you and know you are doing well. Thank you for explaining the app, which worked well for you. It makes sense. I have a chunk of low fat cheese as a snack, everyday, and also try to have salmon twice a week with a fresh anchovy garlic dressing.

Happy Three Month Anniversary, @Beckianne :xmark:
How are you doing at three months post op? We’d love to hear about your progress if you care to share.

Wishing you a great week as you continue on your healing journey. :)

Hey ya, Beckianne :wave:
Hope you’re doing well on this special day of your Four Month Anniversary!
Have a great one and stay safe and well!:)
@Beckianne

Hi @Layla Thanks so much for the call out on my 4th month! Well things have progressed along well. I took the advice here of NOT doing PT early on, just letting my body heal and just walking and its been great! This past Sunday I went for a 1:15 hike up and down hills in the woods around here in Boston where I live. The climb was quite steep up and down and I didn't have any issues, except for a slight twinge on the way down. I started exercising at home and that has gone well, with my strength and range of motion increasing. I'm amazed daily that I can get around pain free. Hiking was something I had not done in two or three years. I've attached the view of Boston from the Summit.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 217

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009