TKR TKR problems after 6 years

keith55

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is something I've experienced periodically since the left knee TKR in summer 2013 but has been quite marked recently

Early on found if while walking, if I misjudged and hit the floor with my left foot the knee joint would suddenly jerk forward without any known signals from my brain: it was unexpected. I can stop it though using mind control so to speak (the same kind of mind control I'm using to type this message with my fingers).

More recently it happens in normal walking both inside and outside and can happen on a flat surface.

Is this what they call instability? I did talk to my GP about this not long after the op but she didn't think it was cause for concern. Also the TKR feels tighter than it used to: I'm more aware of it.

The left TKR knee is now more painful. No swelling or temperature so I guess that means not infection. Knee generally painful rather than in a particular location and tight feeling above and below the knee. Variable but always worse than just a few days ago. Sleeping was difficult last night and I did some icing: something I haven't done for a long time.

Could this be aseptic loosening? I've arranged a GP appointment but that isn't until early Feb and then I may be referred for an X-ray. Last routine check and X-ray was in summer 2018. If the X-ray doesn't indicate aseptic loosening what then?

Revision after just 6.5 years would be very disappointing when I've read 80% last >20 years.

Consultant who did the TKR has retired now I believe.

Was doing step-ups as an exercise a mistake?

Was doing step-ups as an exercise a mistake?
A big yes to this one! It's always the last new thing you did. Think about how much pressure you put on that knee doing step-ups. It obviously didn't like that.

Stop the exercising, ice and elevate and give that knee a rest. I'll bet this eases for you. Then if you want to do step-ups start very slow and only do a few. It's all about gradual increase.

Though I've been doing step ups (20-30) as a once a day exercise (not at all every day) for quite a while now i.e. months if not years.

Ice and elevation has helped - less pain but knee still feels tight and not right (walking on a stilt feeling)

That strange feeling will go away in time. I was the same way. Now, it's just like my other knee. No different feeling at all.

Thanks sistersinhim. I'm hoping I won't need revision.

I did about 30 minutes walking outside today but I've been elevating and icing tonight
I'm trying to keep walking outside to a minimum. Some kneecap pain tonight.
No more step ups but I do have an exercise bike so I'll use that instead if and when the knee settles down.

sistersinhim,

I've been icing and elevating this weekend but improvement apart from less pain because I am resting, icing and elevating. The knee sometimes gets hot e.g. getting up after a period of inactivity. I was wondering how long this recovery could take.

There's no way anyone can tell you exactly how long your healing will take. Your body is unique and on it's own time schedule. Ice and elevate as much as your knee needs. Listen to it and obey it. That should be the best way to heal.

Is a big increase in clicking and clunking cause for concern re loosening?
No change in my condition after 2 weeks of icing and elevating

Also a localised kneecap pain (at rest) at base of kneecap

Though I've been doing step ups (20-30) as a once a day exercise (not at all every day) for quite a while now i.e. months if not years.
Why? Your knee doesn't need that exercise. Just use it normally.

For now, at least, don't stress your knee. Treat it gently and see if it settles down at all.

I agree to give the knee a rest. If it doesn't settle down with rest you should check it out with your surgeon. It might just be that you made a funny movement or something that set something off but it never hurts to check it out with your doctor.

Why? Your knee doesn't need that exercise. Just use it normally.

For now, at least, don't stress your knee. Treat it gently and see if it settles down at all.
I've got arthritis in the other knee and it was one of the exercises for arthritis in a booklet a p/t gave me.
I won't be doing that exercise again.

My original surgeon has retired and I'm waiting for a GP appointment so that I can get a referral for an X-ray.

I've just noticed that my left TKR kneecap is far more flexible (easier to rock about) with gentle pushing than my non operated knee - is that normal?

Looking at local surgeons and how many TKR primary/revision knee operations they do I saw that the national average was about 9 to 1. So does that mean only 1 in 10 TKR patients go on to need revision?

Is the looser kneecap causing you any problems?

@keith55 If you go on the NJR (National Joint Registry) site and find the Annual Report for 2019 all the stats are in that report. It's a very long document as it includes hips, knees, shoulders, ankles, etc so the file is too large to post here.

I don't think so - no (extra) pain when I wobble it

Just seen my GP about this and I've got a referral for an X-ray. I'll make the appointment tomorrow - maybe 2/3 week wait. Fingers crossed the TKR implant is not loose but something simpler and easier to resolve without revision surgery seeing as I have excellent bend and extension and I've had virtually no pain until now since recovery from primary TKR.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom