THR 2.5 weeks post surgery feeling fab

Cb1980

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all happy 2020. So I had my THR surgery on 19th December and can’t believe the difference. I’ve lived with this bad hip so long I had forgotten what it was like before it. From post op X-ray it was clear the improvement ( finally some internal rotation) I could of cried I was so excited. I’ve been very lucky with the pain, i only took codeine and paracetamol home with me, its been extremely manageable. I’m now walking free of any crutches for 3-4miles a day broken up into 3 walks. I didn’t expect to be able to do that this quickly if I’m honest, but it seems all the Pt/ physio preparation I did 6 months pre op has worked wonderfully. plus at 39 I was told healing is much improved. im taking each day at a time and listening to my body. I had one day I felt really tired so I just had a very relaxed day at home which sorted me out. The only thing so far to drive me mad is sleeping on my back, my heels have definitely had enough pressure by the morning. But it’s a small price to pay for 6 weeks. So onwards and upwards to a healthy hip recovery and getting my life back.....this site has been so amazing in helping me build the courage to push to be seen by the consultant and for that I will be forever grateful. I’m 40 this year and couldn’t of had a better present

@Cb1980 So glad your recovery is going well! Every THR is different - even on the same person. Looks like you are one of the lucky ones.

Which hip did you have replaced. I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

Here are your recovery guidelines.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats on your recovery :) My THR was 12/23/19 - just 4 days after you - so I’ll be interested in your progress but wow, it sounds like you’re off to a roaring start already. I still need a cane with walking but keeping things slow and steady to avoid any kind of setback. I’m also counting on bridge exercises and upcoming PT to help with muscle strengthening.

@Cb1980 So glad your recovery is going well! Every THR is different - even on the same person. Looks like you are one of the lucky ones.

Which hip did you have replaced. I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

Here are your recovery guidelines.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

i had my left hip done....I definitely think I’m one of the lucky ones.i was quite physically fit before so my muscle strength has given me some advantage I think. I just feel fabulous, new lease of life

Congrats on your recovery :) My THR was 12/23/19 - just 4 days after you - so I’ll be interested in your progress but wow, it sounds like you’re off to a roaring start already. I still need a cane with walking but keeping things slow and steady to avoid any kind of setback. I’m also counting on bridge exercises and upcoming PT to help with muscle strengthening.
heres to a pain free 2020 sounds like you are doing fab too. i walk carefully and I am mindful and stop when my muscles start to feel it. This seems to be the right boundary for me. I’ve had such a wonderful experience from the start till now. The hospital was superb every aspect. So I do feel so so lucky

@Cb1980

Hi Cb1980, sounds like you're having a great start and definitely on the right path to a speedy recovery.

I'm due to have a LTHR a week today after an accident and hip fracture.

Can I ask what type of surgery you had ?

all the very best

I just feel fabulous, new lease of life

Welcome! So wonderful to read how well you're doing. It's inspirational to those following behind you. All the best as you continue the journey.
A great rest of the week to you! :)

@Cb1980

Hi Cb1980, sounds like you're having a great start and definitely on the right path to a speedy recovery.

I'm due to have a LTHR a week today after an accident and hip fracture.

Can I ask what type of surgery you had ?

all the very best
Hi prem1234 I only know I had a total hip op Left side. I don’t know the approach Dr Graham took. I trusted him implicitly as I had done a lot of research after recommendations on here. I’m very lucky as I have a world class orthopaedic hospital 40 minutes away. will keep here posted on recovery. good luck with your surgery and recovery

Hi @Cb1980 Great thank you and I look forward to reading your recovery and wish you the very best outcome.

Many thanks again

Cb,

Lateral will have incision on outside of hip. Anterior will be in front of hip.
Thank you that’s cleared that up, my incision is on the outside

@Cb1980 , congrats on your speedy recovery. I will be following your journey for inspiration as you and I are close in age and had LTHR on Dec 19, 2019, but mine was the anterior (incision in front) approach.

I too had PT (about a month's worth) before the surgery and first 2 days were excellent. However, I must have overdone it as my leg ballooned and I hubbled here for help and the prescribed instructions fixed me.

Here's to a wonderful, healthy and pain-free future!

@Cb1980 great update from earlier this week. Glad you're feeling so good. Don't want to sound like Debbie Downer but please be careful, take things slow and easy. You're still so very early on and don't want you to get overconfident and have it backfire on you. Sending you best wishes for a great recovery and hope your 2020 is outstanding.

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to read about your progress if you care to update next time you're on the forum.
Hope to hear from you soon. Have a great rest of the week! :)
@Cb1980

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. We'd love to hear from you if you're feeling up to sharing your progress.
All the best as you continue the journey!
@Cb1980

Hi all so thought I would give you an update. Sorry I missed a few messages. So I am now 10 weeks in. Progress has been amazing. It has slowed down as expected. But still way ahead of where I thought I would be. I am able to do so much more in the gym than pre op. Im weight lifting again and I’m working on my strength as my left leg is much weaker for obvious reasons. I’ve started yoga a few days a week To try and stretch everything out. I can now see I’m very tight on my one side so it needs working on. I have no pain which has changed my world. I didn’t realise how much pain I was in before. The joint itself is still very stiff, I still can’t put my sock on like I can the other leg. Still a bit of a contortionist . I can put my trainer on and do my lace up . I think the lower back is very tight too from years of being restricted. But I’m assuming it all will ease as everything adjusts and heals over time. It’s still early days. I’m loving the journey and seeing my progress week on week. So glad I had it done.

I have no pain which has changed my world.

It is life changing....like a second chance!

I’m assuming it all will ease as everything adjusts and heals over time. It’s still early days. I’m loving the journey and seeing my progress week on week. So glad I had it done.

As the weeks and months click on by you will continue to notice progress. THR gives us a whole new appreciation for the things we took for granted until they becare difficult, if not impossible to accomplish. I’m excited for you...2020 should be a good year! :yes!:
Thanks for updating...enjoy the week!

Hello :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope all continues to improve for you.
Stay safe and well!
@Cb1980

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties