TKR One Year Post Surgery

Good Morning Two Cups.jpeg

So sorry to hear you are stiff and creaky. I always take a 1000mg effervescent Paracetamol when I wake to loosen me up for the day.

Unfortunately this is an unpredictable roller coaster. Go easy on yourself ... you've still got a long way to go to fully heal.

Go out in the garden and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. I will keep shut indoors as we have an Almond and a Jacaranda being cut back at the moment as they are invading the power lines on the lane so I have the sweet sound of a chain saw! :gaah:

Bom Dia.gif Izzy xx

Last edited:
@Izabel yes you are correct I should start taking a paracetamol either prior to going to sleep or early mornings maybe this would help me loosen up and agree I should get out in the garden more often ...I'm off to PT today and meeting my sister for coffee at Mar shopping on the way - I have paced my timing so that I can't overdo it and stay too long.
Carlos keeps reminding me that it's only 2 months and recovery can be slow .
To top it off I am getting frequently what feels like a needle prick which hurts momentarily like hell in the top of the knee- are these what people refer to as zingers ?
They don't half knock the wind out of me - mega ouch..
Poor you such a noise - sawing trees but the good thing is once its done it ends and you too can enjoy this glorious weather - Sadly we face rain /wind and sleet next week in the North ...what a difference between North & South xx
Sending Hugs Sarah xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I also read that between 8-16 weeks the progress is slower I'm finding that hard as I feel stuck in a rut , having done so well in such a short amount of time, I want to do better but my knee really just limits what I can do and patience isn't my forte.

I’m not looking forward to the slowing down of progress. I wonder if there’s another set of criteria we can use to measure our forward trajectory? Maybe mark how well you balance activity with recovery, instead of just marking improvements in mechanical function? If you find an encouraging measure for these long weeks of less obvious progress please let me know what it turns out to be for you. I’m going to need it.

We are all going to overdo it from time to time. One way I measured progress was that as time when on, it took less time to recover from overdoing it, than it had earlier in recovery.

I think the voltare you mentioned is diclofenac, which I use in a gel topical form. Have had 2 drs say they don’t care for it in the pill form at least not for me, as I have had such great results, especially with stiffness, from Celebrex(celecoxib generic). The other thing that works for me for morning stiffness is to do some stretches in the bed before I get up.
Your posts are always interesting, often entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

Zingers/ momentarily sharp needle like stabbing pain above the kneecap :censored:
Queried this at PT today and my therapist says if they continue to keep note and let them know..says it is possibly neurological has anyone else been told this - fortunately haven't had anymore today
Maybe mark how well you balance activity with recovery
Well said - always great to get positive input -)

@marieltha Yes it is diclofenac I do actually have it in the gel form - I might try putting that on the knee. I purchased today a mini static floor peddler - (also known as under the desk cycle ) my PT wants me to use this every morning on (non PT days) for 10-15 minutes he thinks it will ease the stiffness and lessen the click. :fingersx::praying:
Not sure I will ever win the "Tour de France" :upright:on it but it it does what it says on the box I'll happily settle for that :rotfl:

Attachments

• 20191210_150654.jpg
    20191210_150654.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 281
Where did you buy your peddler and how much was it? You can PM me if you don’t want to say here.
The bikes at my gym have too much resistance (cannot be set to 0) for my recovering right knee. So I’m thinking of getting one of these.

Marieltha I bought mine at Amazon. I think it was about $35, thry had all kinds od price points. I use mine twice a day, helps keep me loose. It can be set to 0.

I live in Portugal and bought in a store called Decathlon it was 45.00€ - I'm sure any good sports outlet would have them . I just checked out Amazon and they have loads at different prices, this one resistance can be set at any level I have it on 0.

Zingers/ momentarily sharp needle like stabbing pain above the kneecap
Don't be surprised if you have these all over your knee. My doctor explained to me that it's where the nerves, cut or damaged during surgery, reattaching or rerouting. It's perfectly normal and all part of your knee getting back to normal.

Thanks for the info about the machine. I did a general search on Amazon and there were a zillion. So this helped.
I wondered if your PT had recommended a particular style or brand. I need the 0 resistance. I can lie on my back on a firm bed and do a bicycle with my legs without pain, so I think it’s the resistance on the gym bike that hurt.
Keep us posted on how you like yours.

@Jamie any idea what could cause a outbreak of Hives ( uticaria) starting lower back to thighs - noticed back itchy where I had epidural and commented as such on Monday
I started a course of Multi-vitamin 6 days ( Viterra womens adults) could it be this ? I'm only taking paracetamol 1000g at bedtime (occasionally)
Should I stop taking ?
To combat the hives I took 10g of Kestine and it seems to have calmed it down but can feel the hives under the surface of my skin.
We did have spicy food at the weekend other than that I can't think of any other change in diet.
Anyone else experienced this ?

Popped down to my local clinic today as hives got worse - the conclusion was that something in the Multi-vitamin composition didn't agree with me and caused the allergy - ( who would have guessed..) Anyway am to continue with anti-histamine and fingers crossed it will clear in a few days.

Finally finished all my Xmas shopping :banana-santa:now I can relax as I was out n about today for nearly 4 hours and Mrs.Knee is an extremely cross part of me this evening - am currently elevating and icing.

I even managed to wear my skinny jeans my incision was ok with the fabric, however after the NY, I need to shift a few kilos as all this non activity is costing me around my waistline :gaah:

Very strange things are allergies aren't they, very often you are never sure what caused it.
Some years ago, I bought a box of mixed exotic mushrooms. I didn't pick them myself (although I have done at other times!).
A while later my skin had so many lumps, I looked like those old scary photos we saw of poor people suffering from smallpox.
The oddest thing was the lumps only happened on those areas of skin exposed to sunlight.
I thought about wearing a paper bag over my head with eyeholes cut out.
Soon went away as quickly as it came.
Sadly, I now have to avoid exotic fungi, because I don't know which was the culprit. A great shame because they all tasted great.

Today made a big mistake on agreeing to go on a shopping trip with a shopaholic friend of mine, she is only in her 40ties so full of energy and two good knees ... eventually I sat in my car and left her to it, Mrs. Knee very kindly tolerated about 3 hours then even the shop assistants started offering me chairs to sit on haha - I can honestly say if I don't see another shop this year it will be a blessing :rotfl: to add insult to injury We have a :carols:dinner party we can't refuse tonight ....
My brain thinks I can do this but my body certainly is in control at the moment - one thing for certain I should jolly well sleep well tonight :sleeep:

@sistersinhim I completely forgot this morning about tonight's Xmas works party and my fuzzy brain only remembered on my way home - I'm currently sitting with a huge bag of ice, thankfully it's a fairly low key affair and won't be too late .... from tomorrow onwards we will be on holiday so will give myself plenty of tlc and rest rest rest :)
I'm so surprised how well it's coping this time last year i was crippled with pain .

I hope the dinner is delicious and makes it worth the effort!

@Helizabug was totally worth the effort - food delicious not too much standing and not too late either was home by 11pm - slept thru the night ( usual amount of tossing to get comfy- but pretty much accepted that is the new norm with this recovery) this morning probably a little tighter /stiffer than usual.
I think it's an important part of recovery to try ( if physically able) to do as much as possible on regaining our normal life :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom