THR I had no idea how impacted I was

Chris1962

Country
Canada Canada
!st timer sharing, For some reason when they said don't use your real name I used David but I am a woman so that was kinda weird. I am a 57-year-old woman and I also have MS.

New THR November 26, 2019. That makes me at y 2-week recovery mark.

I had wonderful care in the hospital. I was able to stay for 4 nights as my bladder would only void a small amount leaving 600 - 900 (volume). I have some bladder issues retaining so I was not surprised. I had full anesthesia and well who knows. They catheterized me a few times but eventually, it sorted itself out and I got below 500 (220, 410, etc) so that was enough for my body not to worry them. I also can not use Dilaudid as it interacts with my MS and I am one giant floppy non-functional being. Oxycodone works very well, strength is not impacted and pain reduced. It was all enough and home I went.

Oh My! I am home now and much reflection is taking place.
I was startled to remember going into surgery. It was when I saw my X-ray way up high, clear - my pelvis. My good left hip was straight and correct. My left THR hip was an easy 4-5 inches down (or so it seemed). I was shocked.

Now home, my hips are level, I can stand up straight, I can walk so pretty (with the walker), I am not disabled and forever all messed up.

I only realized it was hip arthritis and not my MS that was weakening my leg. a few months before my surgery. I had used one cane for 4 years and 2 canes for some time before my friend said to get a hip X-Ray.
Well, that changed my life. I still have MS and many challenges but I may be able to face then upright, level hipped and deeply grateful.

My recovery is going well. I had a few nights of total incontinence but it is better now.

I love this forum. It helps me relax, go slow, trust my body to heal. Honestly, I have cried a great deal, good tears of relief as I glean support and knowledge from everyone's journey and the so trustworthy moderators. Level hips, I start this new journey with patience and gratitude.

@David1962 Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. We are with you through this journey. Easy does it in these first post op days. No need to push, just listen to that new hip.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave: @David1962. :welome: to Bonesmart and congratulations on that new hip!:flwrysmile:

How great you will be starting the new year on an "even" keel.
Lots of great advice and support here...the forum really was a great tool for me as I navigated my recovery waters.
These early days are just roll with the tide days, so keep everything easy does it .:ice:
Healing vibes coming your way.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I'm sorry you are struggling with the challenges of MS and can imagine how you attributed the symptoms of your declining hip to MS. Thankfully your friend suggested you look into your symptoms and you were able to benefit from hip replacement giving you a better quality of life!

I love this forum. It helps me relax, go slow, trust my body to heal. Honestly, I have cried a great deal, good tears of relief as I glean support and knowledge from everyone's journey and the so trustworthy moderators. Level hips, I start this new journey with patience and gratitude.

On behalf of BoneSmart, thank you! We're happy to hear you're taking it slow, while benefiting from other member's comments and support. Your patience will pay off and a grateful heart never goes out of style. You're blessed!

I hope you have a great week as you continue the journey.
@David1962

Welcome. It is an amazing life changing surgery for so many of us. The lack of pain or getting to walk evenly again are such wonderful things. It is hard to explain to others not impacted by their joints.

Thanks for your comments.
The Hip Recovery: The Guidelines are so helpful. Even before my surgery, I read them over and over.

I do not know if anyone else had a few days after coming home of nighttime incontinence but that was too much. Thank goodness for blabber pads because there was no way for me to make it to the bathroom. It only lasted 3 nights (i only got the bladder pads the last night and oh my what a challenge). Anyhow last night was fine again.

The point to this is that advice for those first weeks of recovery that say my body will present all sorts of different aches and pains and other crazy things (bladder for me) but to relax and trust my body.It knows how to heal is mighty fine advice.

Yesterday walker walking I had new different pains in my hip and down my upper thigh upon weight bearing steps. I had a moment of fear but just went back to bed and carried on my ice, elevate and rest and today that pain is gone. Now my lower back hurts. Kinda funny that but I think this is how it might go. At least I know not to freak out. If something big happens I will also know to attend to it medically because that is the reality. This is a big deal. For now back to resting and good food, possibly some butt-clenching if I am up for it ;).

On the 17th of December, I have my first physio, X-ray and see the surgeon. I am gonna see my new X-Ray and I am excited. I will check back in then (if not before). Also if anyone else here has MS and a new hip or knee I would be happy to hear how you are doing. Many thanks again.

I do not know if anyone else had a few days after coming home of nighttime incontinence
This is very common post op - especially if you had general anaesthetic. But as you have already experienced, this is usually temporary.
Now my lower back hurts.
Try putting a small pillow under your knees when you are sleeping on your back. It will ease the pressure on your lower spine.

You are doing great!

Yesterday walker walking I had new different pains in my hip and down my upper thigh upon weight bearing steps. I had a moment of fear but just went back to bed and carried on my ice, elevate and rest and today that pain is gone. Now my lower back hurts. Kinda funny that but I think this is how it might go

Exactly how it seems to go. You feel a twinge here, a pinch there, zings and zaps here and there. By the time you get used to one odd sensation, it's replaced by something new. I went with the plan that unless something was escalating in intensity, or increasing in duration, I'd continue with the recommendations of rest, meds on schedule and icing.
Have a great afternoon!

@David1962 just wanted to say :wave: and welcome you to the forum. Lots of great folks here with great advice and we'll be here with you through your recovery, as long as you want.

I'm sure you'll feel so much better after your visit with the OS on the 17th, please keep us posted.

I guess that is a bit how it is, up and down, feeling so good and then not.
Still, it is only two weeks so I understand but I ache and feel stiff. I feel like my MS is gurgling about with some extra spasticity, some in my hip but more my torso. I have baclofen and diazepam and I did take it so maybe it will help soon. My incision stings too. I just took an extra-strength Tylenol.

I think more I am tired. It is 3:30 am and as usual, I have awoken to pee and was smart to keep wearing my bladder pads. I am sick of sleeping on my back, cranky and tired.

Before my new hip, I woke up almost every two hours actually cursing in pain so this is better.
This is a big surgery and big healing. I will watch a bit of TV and sleep again. Tomorrow is soon. Good night again.
I am gonna get up and sit or a bit. Maybe a position change will help best.

Last edited:
Hello @David1962 Welcome to BoneSmart. Happy you are home and have some of the pesky surgery issues behind you. Just saying hello as we will be sharing this recovery together. Wonderful people and information here. Best wishes to you and your new level hip!

Hi @David1962
I think you are really being a Big Man about all this frustrating recovery business (lol. Just trying to make you smile, David:) :-) (:)
Two weeks out, you are me...all of the following.
but I ache and feel stiff
Oh yes. Check.:sad:

I think more I am tired. It is 3:30 am and as usual, I have awoken to pee
Right when you kind of sort of get comfy.:hairpulling:
Before my new hip, I woke up almost every two hours actually cursing in pain so this is better.
It does help to remember this...I also was frustrated and sleep deprived.
incision stings too.
I remember mine stung and also when moving about felt more intense...like a burning poker...I nervously asked for reassurance on the forum. Lots of whining early days in my recovery thread. :blush:
I am gonna get up and sit or a bit. Maybe a position change will help best.
It often will...til it doesn't.

All temporary and well worth it in the end...keep the faith, hippy pal.
Healing vibes coming your way.:friends:

I think all of us get grumpy about the 2wk mark if not before and after. You get tired and cranky from the limited positions and itchiness of the incision. Like you my sleep was awful before surgery so for a while there was no difference but it did improve after a while. Progress does come but it is sometimes hard to see at that point. I am at 4wks(tomorrow) and can now really feel the difference. Can you sleep on your non op side with a pillow between your legs - I found this really helped me to be able to change position though getting into the position was interesting.

Yes, I am able to rest for a while on my side with a pillow. I am feeling a bit better. It is good to hear that in two short weeks I may feel exponentially better. Yea for that.

Mojo333 your "manning" up comment did make me laugh. Honestly, it is so annoying and I can not figure out any way to change it. So, I shall be a man, cease my whining about the irrelevant but I may increase all other wee utterances is my man right. :)) (no insult meant.)

Ok, patience and pain meds are my friends. Thanks all.

OK, still only two weeks out but worrying. Before my surgery, I was so bent over - crone like posture. My arthritic leg would not straighten for its life. The X-Ray that I saw as I was wheeled into the surgery was alarming. My good left hip normal level, my bad right hip an easy 4 inches below the left.

I had as most folk with bad hip so much groin pain.

Now, laying straight, though I can straighten my leg the pulling deep in my groin hurt. Where my pelvis meets m leg. It is 3:30 am and I can not get comfortable. I feel like I should keep it straight to help elongated those muscles/tendons, who knows. Now after trying to keep it straight even with a pillow under my knee, it aches. I just took two 500 Tylenol.

I am worried and I know I need to relax it takes time. Any tips on how to sleep comfortably? Pillow, no pillow. Leg elevated, side - it hurts too on the backside, like a lump which I assume is my new hip.

You folk are golden to be so attentive to these newbie hipster worries and uncomfortableness.

Groin pain is very common early days. The tightness that comes from the swelling also doesnt help. NORMAL.
I kept my legs slightly bent...not the time to force things.
Another member put it very eloquently when they mused that we are not only recovering from surgery but from pre-surgery.
Limited mobility definitely causes issues too, but most resolve with time.

Slow and incrementally is the name of the game.
I was also grateful to be able to call out my "is this normal?" Inquiries to those who have been there and done that.

Keep the faith friend.
All temporary.

The lumps and pains are most likely sore swollen tissue. Are you icing? and icing enough? By the 2nd week is when the frustration really sets in and every little thing becomes a major irritation. Getting comfortable is a real challenge especially for sleeping. I just use a pillow between my legs and used a larger pillow under my shoulders to prop me up better so I could sleep on my back. With my right it is different than my left was and in the first 2 weeks it felt better sometimes if I raised my knees for a while as I lay in bed. Muscles have finally relaxed so it's fine now.

Sorry to hear about the pains. Just a suggestion that is common on the board. You have mentioned taking Tylenol after experiencing pain, if I read you correctly. (Please ignore if I'm not reading you correctly). Well, the general guideline we give is to take Tylenol early on (and you're still very early on) ... regularly ... don't wait for the pain. Take it on a schedule. Our nurse and clinical expert, Josephine, typically says 4,000 mg is the max for Tylenol.

You don't want to wait for the pain. You want, as the phrase goes, to get ahead of the pain. You will have pain. The pain is coming this early on and it will continue for a bit. My sister just had bilateral hip replacement a few months back ... and she called me about pain at about 2 months in. She reported taking Tylenol after the pain broke out. I told her what I'm suggesting here: take the Tylenol around the clock before the pain breaks out. I talked to her a week later, and she said taking the Tylenol regularly helped out a lot!

Good luck. There are lots of aches and pains early on ... and yes, they are scary ... our minds easily imagine disaster, that something is wrong ... In reality, it's a messy, odd, surprising process--recovery is. But overall, sounds like you're improving.

Last edited:
You are experiencing totally normal aches, pains and swelling. As has already been mentioned above, try your best to get comfortable, ice, more ice and definitely stay ahead of the pain. Playing catch up after the pain has hit is usually a losing battle. Try to rest as much as you can and find silly movies or TV shows to occupy your mind. It does get better.
:carols:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks