MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

My mom, who was a great mom, was very delusional her last year, and I was her daily companion. I was also the focus of her delusions, it seemed. It was very difficult to be trying my best to care for her as she had always cared for me while she felt I was being hurtful and cruel in ways she raised me not to be. She deserved better and, really, so did I. It has taken this surgery for me to see past those months of hell we lived through and remember the kind care she always had for me. And, remembering that care, I miss her dearly.

..I am at a point where I absolutely will encourage others, but also remind them of the lengthy recovery to be prepared for.

(I think I learned how to quote! I know, I should just read the directions, but how fun is that?)

Yup. Preparing for the lengthy recovery is key. My ACL and heel repair were both slow and steady-ish, over the long haul. I am trying to be reasonable about this one too.

Enjoy the day!

When I get sick or down, or even when something wonderful happens to me, the first thing I think is I wish I could call mama and talk to her. It really does hurt during the holidays. The recovery from a joint replacement doesn't help that depression either. But, always remembering that mamas wouldn't want us to suffer with pain or depression helps to put things into perspective. Plus, we will be getting better from this surgical pain, not worse with arthritis pain!

That’s why I did my knee before I couldn’t walk anymore. I watch a lot of people soldier on, and I have great respect for their strength because surgery is tough and expensive and a drain on people around us. But I have things to do and people to help and hills to climb, so when my surgeon said ‘it could be time, whenever you’re ready,’ I said ‘Let’s go.’ There have been several times in these first eight days — goodness, only eight? — when I thought it was too hard, but then I think of the things I will be doing by this time next year, and I know I picked the better of the two scary choices.
Thanks for this. I am 5 weeks from surgery and today I am so happy that I made the decision to do it and not wait. Believe me even though I have had a pretty darn good recovery, there have been days not too long ago when I doubted myself. Then all of sudden a couple days ago I turned a corner and cannot believe how much better I am. Just last weekend I told my sister I am not sure I made the right decision. One of the worst parts for me was lack of sleep as I just could not get comfortable. The last 2 nights I have been able to sleep on my side and not wake in the middle of the night to medicate. It is hard, that no one denies but I have things to do, places to see and hills to climb. :kitty:

So, I think this is nice: my insurance company called to see how I was doing. Really nice.

I had a nurse from my insurance company call me one evening, it was probably day 10. It was one of my worst times, my pain was a 10, my vision was blurry and I had called my surgeon and was waiting for a return call. In my semi melt down I was not very appreciative to a stranger calling me and I was rather short with her. I gave her very little information and told her I would prefer to deal only with my surgeon’s office. She did not call back.

I would hope I would have felt like you did, had I been in a better frame of mind.

@Helizabug Thank you for your kind words.

I'm sorry you had a rough day, I hope you're feeling better today.

I've been missing my dad a lot this year and it gets worse as the holiday's approach.

I knew a few years ago my right knee (the one that hasn't been done yet!) needed replaced after a very bad slip and fall on the ice, but they told me I was too young. So I waited. Now I wish I hadn't, on either knee, there was obviously something very wrong with both of them but I never pushed and no one ever seemed to have answers.

@sondrals Well let’s hope for knees with something very right with them soon! Do you still expect Dec. 10th surgery, now?

@Helizabug I’m hoping to be back to normal in a year or so. :rotfl:

yep it’s back on. Did my pre-op stuff today. Getting nervous all over again. On the plus side, between work, a trip to the hospital, a trip to Dmv, and a trip to the pharmacy my replaced knee feels good albeit a little tired. Still have a grocery pick up to do then it’ll be back home to rest

I agree with your positive outlook on the timing and why we put ourselves through the difficult...to get to the authentic wholeness of helping others and ourselves in the future. It is a decision I waivered on in the month before my surgery, because I hadn't gotten to the point of being disabled yet....but a good friend who had just had her TKR done, reminded me that the Dr. doesn't just randomly pick you for the surgery and it does get worse over time....I am at a point where I absolutely will encourage others, but also remind them of the lengthy recovery to be prepared for. We all can do this if needed!!

I also think when we wean of the narcotics our body does a bit of a slump, difficult days are just that...difficult. There will be a brighter tomorrow. Best of luck today!

THIS has given me so much hope. @Macknit you are always so thoughtful, insightful and spot-on. I so enjoy reading your comments and posts. I am happy to see your recovery is moving along. Thank you for so insightfully writing the above.

@Helizabug I'm a bit behind reading posts and recovery threads. I want to thank you for following my recovery. Your thoughts about "when" to do the surgery and all resonate with me. My story is complicated; however due to some differences with my long-standing Primary Care Physician, along with some other health-issues that (I suppose) eclipsed my arthritic knees, I was waaaaay long overdue for surgery. Yet, I STILL contemplated "if it was time." I'm still mulling over "if and when I should have my left knee done, blah, blah." While not as bad as my right knee was, my left knee is a colossal mess.

Yes, I was minutes away from cancelling/postponing my surgery one day and I thought, "This is nonsense, craziness really...I HAVE to be brave and go forward with this...I'm only 61 years old and I'm in lots of pain, practically incapable of walking anymore...this isn't something I want to live with forever, deal with as it worsens...and I cannot straddle my husband with these problems if there is a solution...cannot do it...things will only worsen."

I truly appreciate your upbeat take on stuff. Thank you and continue to feel stronger and better.

This timing thing is a balance, but we should always see that we deserve to ease the pain.and everyone’s better off if we’re in better health.

Any advice on diarrhea? I’ve been wrestling with it since Wednesday, the day after I stopped taking the Oxycodone. I’m drinking water. It’s not like prepping for a Colonoscopy or anything (ugh. I’m struggling for an inoffensive account here, but it’s not easy). Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice?

Eat bananas they help combat the diarrhea and drink hot Camomile tea, or boiled white rice also helps.
Hope you feel better soon xx

Yes the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Tea any or all seem to work with that issue!

But they now way it is too restrictive :what: It always worked for me for a day or so, not a life long practice

Thanks @tlfiore I'm encouraged that you hear hope in my musings....Life is too short not to have hope! Even when we struggle and suffer...there is a light to see in our improvements.

Well done :yay: wow..... your are just a week and a half out of surgery ....:wow:
It's so good for our moral just to get outdoors and see people, soon it will be the norm.
Hope your tummy is feeling better.
Proud of you !!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member