THR Ariel back on his feet (almost)

I was NHS but in private Nuffield Hospital... had PT on 2nd week...
tested range, told me to drop to one crutch & that was it... 4 weeks later gave me a resistance band to use & another appointment in 4 weeks... not sure any of it was necessary at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I think some of us need it more than others. My previous op resulted in an internal stitch hanging out through the staples becoming slightly infected and it was my physio that monitored my condition and fast tracked me through A&E for antibiotics.

14 days post op so a bit of an update. Staples removed by the nurse at my GP surgery this morning and most came out easily but a few put up a fight. I am walking everyday with crutches but at home I either use one crutch or at times none. I am no longer on pain killers and am limiting myself to 5000 steps (4Km) per day and my walking is getting stronger. On Tuesday I will have my first physio session at the hospital. Getting around by bus is a lot of fun but I have managed to visit my local nature reserve and got down and up the hill to see the new Lapwing chicks. In all things are looking good.

You sound to be doing very well. Glad you are able to get out and get some signs of spring.
Hope all continues to do well.

Physio today, this is the third time that this particular physio has worked on me over the years and it was nice to catch up again. Getting to Hospital was a PITA as the weather was horrible meaning I had to lace my boots rather than slipping on sandals. I can just about manage the operated boot by sort of bending it right back and tying it blind. The busses did not play fair as they refused to stop for me, turns out the bus stop was out of commission but without notice saying so. Instead of arriving at hospital with half an hour to spare it was a rush on crutches in the rain to get to the physio dept just before my appointment (Why is the PT suite the furthest from the road?).
Anyway I got there and my physio is pleased with my progress, I have more exercises to do including standing from a seated position with no hands and marching on the spot, next appointment is in two weeks time. While there she examined my wound and said I no longer need a dressing, this suits me fine as I could cancel an appointment with the nurse to have it changed tomorrow. All in all it is going well except for pain in my knee that pre op I had put down to the hip but it is still with me and may be the result of hitting a tree at about 30 mph on a motorcycle in 2004. The registrar in A&E told me at the time that it may cause problems in the future, looks like they may have been right.

Boy, that day trip sounds like a comedy of errors:umm:
You got there however!
Glad they have you a good report!

All in all it is going well except for pain in my knee that pre op I had put down to the hip but it is still with me and may be the result of hitting a tree at about 30 mph on a motorcycle in 2004.
Ouch! That might do it.
The physio doesn't sound too aggressive so be kind to yourself, and that knee.
Hang even been one month yet since you got new tierod and ball joint.
Lots of healing still happening.
Continued best wishes...

:wave:Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and you're pleased with your progress.
Wishing you a good week as you continue on the journey. :walking:
@Ariel

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering how your recovery is going? Hopefully great.
Leave us an update if you feel like sharing. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Until then...:wave:
@Ariel

Coming up to my four month Layla, thanks for asking. Surgeon very pleased with my progress and I am signed off physio now. I walk between 10000 and 15000 steps everyday mostly carrying a 5Kg camera bag and binoculars. I did not race my motorcycle this season but in retrospect I could have been back on the track from mid July but I will be racing next season. I was getting a bit of pain in both calves first thing in the day but it is getting easier week by week. I have a problem with my knees that I need to see the Dr about, if I kneel it feels as if I have put my knees on sharp pebbles but I doubt it is related to my THRs. To summarise, I am as mobile now as before the hip gave way and most of the time I forget that I have had surgery.:ok:

Awesome update!
Sounds like you're back in full swing and living life. Sorry to hear about your knees. Have you had them x-rayed? Wondering if its arthritis? Hopefully not, but I guess for those of us who have it it's a possibility for it to show up elsewhere.
Keep up the good work. You're doing great!
@Ariel

I am currently going to PT for a knee issue that sounds similar to yours. My dr. and the PT say it's common among those who have had hip or other issues that caused poor gait and compensation for a period of time as a result of the bad hip and recovery. My X-ray was fine--so am working on strengthening the muscles around my knee and my core. Hopefully yours will be a simple fix as well:)

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
The months are clicking on by. Soon enough it will be the New Year.
Wishing you a great Autumn as you continue on the journey. :SUNsmile:
@Ariel

Hi @Ariel
How are you doing in your recovery?
Would love to read an update if you feel like sharing.
Have a great week!

Thank you Layla, I hope that you are well.
The hip itself is fine but I am having pain in the backs of my legs (calf, thigh and buttock), it is worse in the recently operated leg. It is more like muscular spasm than actual pain and may be caused by arthritis in my spine I think. I have not been to the Dr with it as I am due a hip check up in about six weeks and I will bring it up then. All of this is just a minor setback though compared to the pain I was experiencing pre-op and I am not taking pain killers, what is good for it seems to be walking briskly.

I am having pain in the backs of my legs (calf, thigh and buttock)
I had similar spasms post LTHR. I found hamstring stretches from a seated position very helpful. Start very gently as your hamstrings may be very tight. I was able to lift my leg straight out in front and then pull toes toward the nose eventually. I still do these exercises daily for lower back issues.

Hi Ariel. I'm doing well..thank you.
I'm sorry to hear about the spasms. Hopefully, Jaycey's, suggestion brings you relief. Another consideration may be Magnesium as it can help with muscle spasms. If you try it, I'd suggest trying Magnesium Glycinate as it causes less stomach or intestinal distress than other forms. I'll leave an article with wishes the stretches or Magnesium, or the combo, bring you speedy relief.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Sorry you are still having post op hip niggles... but you are going to bounce back and and things will get better and better. :egypdance:
Hang in there, friend

Last edited:
As I thought the pain was not related to the THRs but is spinal and I am down for surgery.

Hi @Ariel Glad to see you posting but...
Oh my stars...when will you be undergoing spinal surgery?
I do wish you well and hope this is the last surgery on the agenda for a very long time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member