Revision TKR Multiple knee replacements

@Txknee72
Greetings from San Antonio......
One of the things that I found helped me was a schedule.
check Bone Smart with coffee.....then eat breakfast....do a household chore or two as tolerated etc....
I equate the TKR in the house thing to the garbage compactor scene in “Star Wars” the walls keep getting closer.....

Thank you. That will be helpful to know.

I found TKR recovery a "one day at a time" or "one week at a time" process. In the early days just dealing with the day to day was all consuming.
Later--for me around 5 weeks--it was the "are we there yet?" :heehee: mood. And my OS prepared me that it would be a long haul.
Just getting a phone call from a friend, going outside for a few minutes or popping on to Bonesmart were all things that helped.

Come here any time and share your ups and downs. We get it.

Thank you. That will be helpful to know.
I know I am not the only one with issues so I know your also busy but really if you think you might be able to help by at least suggesting someone great!! At this point there is no such thing as being pain free ( gave up on that years ago ) and right now I am pretty much miserable after getting my daughters furniture put together for her first apartment. To define what I mean by miserable trying to walk it stinks!! ice and elevation are great!!. Really trying to figure out how you can help since your in Kansas and I am in Va?? To be honest I would not be surprised if anyone can. WHat is bad still have to move daughters bed tomorrow as bad as this sounds sometimes the thought of getting rid of the knee completely has crossed my mind but then with my luck how do you treat phantom pain so I am stuck.

Please don't let your mind go to amputation. That is always the very last resort and you're not there yet. It is unfortunate that you've had so many surgeries on your knee. That does make things more difficult....but not impossible.

I can help you from Kansas because I have a list I work from with surgeons I've learned of over the years. And, if that doesn't do the trick, I can send the specifics of your case on to our BoneSmart CEO, who has many more direct contacts in the orthopedic community than I do. One way or the other, we are usually able to find the right surgeon for you to see. I'm not promising that you'll be able to find someone close to where you live. You have a very unique case and you may have to drive to get the help you need. But it would be worth it to get this resolved once and for all for you.

Please let me know as soon as you find out what implant you currently have and whether or not it is a hinged knee. Be sure and tag me in your post so I see it quickly.

@Txknee72
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I'm currently struggling with falling asleep. I lay in bed for hours then eventually fall asleep. Then I want to sleep the morning away but feel guilt when it happens. I'm almost 4 weeks out and moving more than I have in years.

That is exactly how I am. Struggle and exhaust yourself to fall asleep. Sleep a few hours and then exhausted when you should be getting up. I am feeling your frustration and I don’t even nap during the day

I found this recovery is a full time job, at least for the first couple of months. Sleep when you can if you have that option. Sleep will come be not for awhile, patience is very important in this recovery. I'm not a patient person so I had to live with frustration and even anger at times. I'm in my 16th week post op and was feeling good yesterday so I walked farther, did more PT exercises and am paying the price today. Sigh.....

For me, staying on top of the pain has been the most difficult part of this surgery, especially managing pain at bedtime, in order to get some rest/sleep. I'm still not on top of it.

I find if one protocol works one night, it may not work the next night. Not sure why. After not getting enough sleep for several nights, I felt like a train hit me on Tuesday...it was awful.

Now I have to work on outpatient PT beginning tomorrow. Will see how that goes.

Just keep trying the tried/true recommendations here and find which ones work best for you.

Please don't let your mind go to amputation. That is always the very last resort and you're not there yet. It is unfortunate that you've had so many surgeries on your knee. That does make things more difficult....but not impossible.

I can help you from Kansas because I have a list I work from with surgeons I've learned of over the years. And, if that doesn't do the trick, I can send the specifics of your case on to our BoneSmart CEO, who has many more direct contacts in the orthopedic community than I do. One way or the other, we are usually able to find the right surgeon for you to see. I'm not promising that you'll be able to find someone close to where you live. You have a very unique case and you may have to drive to get the help you need. But it would be worth it to get this resolved once and for all for you.

Please let me know as soon as you find out what implant you currently have and whether or not it is a hinged knee. Be sure and tag me in your post so I see it quickly.

Sorry for the delay found out the painful way on the type of knee I have its constrained. Reason for the painful way Friday I was at daughters apartment hooking up a desktop computer to her TV and yes I was kneeling on the floor. I went to straighten left leg and it went to instant pain and it locked up. I had no choice but to call ambulance. At the ER after taking X-rays I was told I had a constrained knee and I had dislocated it in order to fix it they had to sedate me to fix. After I woke up felt so much better but what I was told stunk. The knee in their words was very loose not where its attached to bone but the joint itself there is a Dr. there that wants to help ( Dr. Ryan Robertson Henrico Dr's Hospital ) and there is also a very good chance my knee is going to lock up again so I sent an E-mail to current surgeon Dr. William Foster VCU Ortho. for his advice. It was explained that because of hw loose the joint is this would explain the knee giving out along with the pain I deal with, so okay if surgery is needed considering what I have been thru what are the odds something will go wrong?

The outcome on any potential surgery will depend on a number of factors. The most critical is that you have a surgeon who has dealt with the particular situation you have successfully in the past. This is a question you should ask of anyone you are considering.

The outcome and any risks depend on exactly what the surgeon(s) intend to do. If you don't know the details of the surgical plan, that's also a discussion you need to have with surgeons you're considering using.

It would be helpful for us to know exactly which implant you have. There are a number of versions of constrained (hinged) implants. Your original surgeons office can tell you the exact type of implant you were given, if you don't have a card that gives you that information.

Last edited:
Well I am trying. At least I know its constrained. But what type? I'll try to find out since I have to call Monday due to what I was told on Friday pertaining to what the PA felt when he manipulated the knee. I can tell you for a fact I am truly sick of all of this. It seems based on just the way things are at least for me every 2 to 3 years something goes wrong with the knee. Case in point Friday.

What scares me - this is 2nd time knee locked up since August. The first time it loosened up after a few minutes. This time I had to go to ER. If you want to say I was lucky, in a way I was because I was in daughter's apartment near the phone. Now what would happen if it locks up again? Add to the fact I do not have a cell phone I would be out of luck.

Maybe you can explain this better hopefully?? Based on Xray, part of the revision looks secure but the joint itself ( the part that moves ) according to the PA was very loose. He said because there was lots of play it would explain the pain, swelling, and why the knee gives out fairly frequently.

As I semi understand, unless I do something the problem will get worse. Or I could wear a brace, but that seems more like a band aid than actually fixing it. Or I could have surgery, which potentially fixes some of the problems.

Yes, I know I need a good Doctor. The one I currently have retires next month. Looking at his replacement, he seems well qualified but the one that I was referred to at the ER also seems well qualified.

Here is what scares me. If a surgery is needed, it would be #19 and with each surgery the chances of having complications get greater each time. A valid point was made Friday since I have had so many surgeries the nerves around the knee are no longer where they used to be so what happens is a nerve gets damaged I could lose sensation in my foot or worse. If you have any advice suggestions etc love to read them if not that is okay just a tad paranoid.

Last edited by a moderator:
@NFenske ... The outcome on any potential surgery will depend on a number of factors. The most critical is that you have a surgeon who has dealt with the particular situation you have successfully in the past. This is a question you should ask of anyone you are considering.

The outcome and any risks depend on exactly what the surgeon(s) intend to do. If you don't know the details of the surgical plan, that's also a discussion you need to have with surgeons you're considering using.

It would be helpful for us to know exactly which implant you have. There are a number of versions of constrained (hinged) implants. Your original surgeons office can tell you the exact type of implant you were given, if you don't have a card that gives you that information.
@Jamie forgot to tag or quote please read my last message

It will be interesting to hear more details from the surgeon(s). Your second explanation is what I thought you were saying.....the joint is lax. This can be a s simple as a larger spacer (the plastic piece between the two metal components). I know you're very concerned about all this, but I think it's best to wait and get some more details before you start to worry about the "what if's."

Trust me that a good revision surgeon with plenty of experience can do a lot - even with a knee that has had as many surgeries as yours has. This is what they do. They work the problem cases that would be difficult to impossible for surgeons who don't have that expertise. Please try not to worry. You have two good surgeons at hand. Meet with both of them and get their opinions as to what the problem is and what they recommend should be done.

The one thing you do know for sure is that you cannot go on in this condition. You are risking more injury to your knee and other body parts from a fall.

And as an aside that is truly none of my business.....maybe you should consider getting a cell phone. Even just a Tracfone that you would only use for emergencies could be critical for you. You never know when you might have an emergency. (okay, I'm off my soap box now :heehee:)

Hang in there and let us know how things go.

It will be interesting to hear more details from the surgeon(s). Your second explanation is what I thought you were saying.....the joint is lax. This can be a s simple as a larger spacer (the plastic piece between the two metal components). I know you're very concerned about all this, but I think it's best to wait and get some more details before you start to worry about the "what if's."

Trust me that a good revision surgeon with plenty of experience can do a lot - even with a knee that has had as many surgeries as yours has. This is what they do. They work the problem cases that would be difficult to impossible for surgeons who don't have that expertise. Please try not to worry. You have two good surgeons at hand. Meet with both of them and get their opinions as to what the problem is and what they recommend should be done.

The one thing you do know for sure is that you cannot go on in this condition. You are risking more injury to your knee and other body parts from a fall.

And as an aside that is truly none of my business.....maybe you should consider getting a cell phone. Even just a Tracfone that you would only use for emergencies could be critical for you. You never know when you might have an emergency. (okay, I'm off my soap box now :heehee:)

Hang in there and let us know how things go.
I made 2 appts. the first is tomorrow with current surgeon the 2nd is with surgeon that was suggested at ER. Based on what you know considering all the problems I have had do you think its possible another surgery is needed?? I am hoping that if I need another surgery maybe they can fix whats loose rather then another replacement.

It is certainly only a guess at this point, but I would imagine this is not a situation that will be fixable without some type of surgery. The only other options to help might be therapy, but with your knee's history, I doubt that would be very effective. Please try not to worry. I'm glad you made the two appointments so you can hear from more than one surgeon. Their information and opinions will be very important as they are able to actually see your knee and talk in more detail about your history with it. Good luck. Write out your questions so you don't forget to ask something. And take notes so you'll remember what was said. You also might want to take someone else with you to listen and take notes as well.

It is certainly only a guess at this point, but I would imagine this is not a situation that will be fixable without some type of surgery. The only other options to help might be therapy, but with your knee's history, I doubt that would be very effective. Please try not to worry. I'm glad you made the two appointments so you can hear from more than one surgeon. Their information and opinions will be very important as they are able to actually see your knee and talk in more detail about your history with it. Good luck. Write out your questions so you don't forget to ask something. And take notes so you'll remember what was said. You also might want to take someone else with you to listen and take notes as well.
I hate to admit it but based on what I have read the symptoms I have all of it points to something being loose. What really bothers me is why have I had so many surgeries what did I do to deserve all of this?? I could write exactly how I feel but do not think anyone would appreciate it. If you go by when all of this started in 03 and now almost 2020 I am a tad over 1 surgery per year. Now there is a good chance # 19 is around the corner YUCK!!

I agree with you. If you think about your experience in terms of all that has happened to you over these years, you could certainly be forgiven for being a bit angry or wondering "Why me?". But, there isn't any good to come of that. You cannot change what happened in the past. You can only go forward from here and work hard to be a well-informed patient who is a partner with your next surgeon in getting the job done right this time. We'll be here to back you up and support you. And hopefully we'll help give you tools to make you more confident and knowledgeable when you are discussing your options with both these surgeons. Hang in there. I'm very thankful you have found two doctors who seem to understand your situation well and are willing to help you. :thumb:

Last edited:
If you think about your experience in terms of all that has happened to you over these years, you could certainly be forgiven for being a bit angry or wondering "Why me?". But, there isn't any good to come of that. You cannot change what happened in the past. You can only go forward from here and work hard to be a well-informed patient who is a partner with your next surgeon in getting the job done right this time. We'll be here to back you up and support you. And hopefully we'll help give you tools to make you more confident and knowledgeable when you are discussing your options with both these surgeons. Hang in there. I'm very thankful you have found two doctors who seem to understand your situation well and are willing to help you. :thumb:
Well good or bad I guess it depends on how I look at it. I saw Dr. Foster ( he did the last revision ) he saw the Xrays from Friday and said I have 3 options do not bend it ex kneeling, wear a brace I explained a brace is like a bandaid not going to fix anything, 3rd a revision YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Since I trust the Dr. he is going to do the revision but this time he is going to use a Biomet Limb Salvage System there is a 0% chance of my knee dislocating again the only real concern is infection barring that should be okay. He explained the plastic you mentioned has worn out and this new prosthetic will prevent that from happening again. Boy what a great day since he is going to retire Jan 1st it will be done sometime before then. This is what will be installed next,
www.zimmerbiomet.com/medical-professionals/limb-salvage/orthopaedic-salvage-system.html
What a great XMas present!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry you have to go through another revision. I don’t even know what else to say, other than my thoughts are with you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom