THR Done at last

:welome:to the healing side! So glad surgery went well and you're not feeling pain. Love the pizza and milkshake.

Going to leave you some reading material for when you're up to it.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You must really be doing well...no way I could have eaten pizza and a milkshake that soon! :heehee: Hope things continue to go smoothly for you.

Praise my Lord Jesus Christ! Think the spinal with sedative helps that. So far doing well. Thank you all for well wishes.

Wonderful news and sounds like fun food.

Walked with walker one full loop on hospital floor tonight. Felt stable and pretty good.

I would encourage those discussing anathesia to consider spinal with sedative. There are some key advantages for this route over GA when having hip replacement. Some will disagree on this board but happy I chose such with anterior approach.

Glad to see you are doing well.
Glad you feel so good and happy that you aren't dealing with some of the after effects many experience after GA.
I've certainly seen many members give kudos to spinal with sedative.
Certainly something for preop hippys to discuss with their surgeons however my surgeon preferred to have me under general anaesthesia and it was his choice.

There can be other reasons that spinal and epidural anesthesia are not appropriate for everyone, including those with spinal fusion, which would make placement of the needle difficult, or those with bleeding disorders for whom a puncture could cause dangerous bleeding around the spinal cord.

So glad you are on the healing side.:yes!:

Thanks Mojo. Yes you make good points on exceptions. Adrenaline not allowing me much sleep. Have done about 4 laps with walker. Last time a little painful as numbing medicine wearing off.

Hi @Noel310.
So Happy to hear the outcome of your surgery is flawless.
Please.. Please... take it easy even with the walking the first days and weeks. Your body went through major trauma and needs considerable time to recover. Being able to walk so much so soon absolutely sounds fantastic but you don't need to overdue.

Feels wonderful to get through the surgery and know that this post op pain is all temporary.
Bet the staff is very happy to see you are able to get up and around.
I remember the adrenaline/exhilaration and the inability to rest well especially at the hospital.
Our bodies do seem to be in a bit of shock as well as still having the benefits of lingering anaesthetic...so do take it easy.
Rest is very important...
Sending healing mojo your way:loveshwr:

I would encourage those discussing anathesia to consider spinal with sedative. There are some key advantages for this route over GA when having hip replacement. Some will disagree on this board but happy I chose such with anterior approach.

excellent points .... I had the same protocol with both my THRS..Might want to suggest to the anesthesiologist.."amnesia type " drug in the mix ...I woke up during my first surgery RATHER UNPLEASANT... I do understand as the goal is to keep the anesthesia as light as possible... The second surgery with the amnesia drug was terrific.... I still have no memory of being moved into the OR ... Four weeks out ... on the treadmill and at the driving range

Hi @Noel310.
So Happy to hear the outcome of your surgery is flawless.
Please.. Please... take it easy even with the walking the first days and weeks. Your body went through major trauma and needs considerable time to recover. Being able to walk so much so soon absolutely sounds fantastic but you don't need to overdue.

Thanks for the caring advice. Do want to over do that’s for sure. Your reminder is appreciated.
Noel310 aka Chuck. m67

Slow down partner! You are just hours out of major surgery. Please try and rest - even if it's just watching mindless TV. Glad you are on the healing side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft