THR Let's make it a matched set!

@VSlowLife I do think walking gets more natural, less thought intensive, with time--but I do tend to walk a bit more slowly and cautiously on uneven sidewalks and road surfaces than I used to and probably always will do so--I just do not want to trip or slip if I can possibly avoid it.

@gertie Thank you, I was hoping so. I imagine like the other precautions it’s a trade off for less pain, more movement and a better quality of life.
I hope your day is going well. I saw some smoke flakes, so maybe up north you have snow.

@VSlowLife No snow here in W. Mass--at least not in the river valley where I live--perhaps at higher elevation. Re: cautious walking--I feel like I stride more blithely when I'm out for a walk and using the trekking poles (although not on a rooted, rocky, rutted path).

@gerie Our snow was short lived, but gee is it bitter! I rescued the elephant leaf roots today. They make me feel like I am around the tropics in the summer.
Sounds like a nice place to live in a river valley. Yes those trekking poles make a big difference. Not much rocky terrain here. Pretty flat with trees. I suppose the rockier terrain helps strengthen your balance.

Good morning, @gertie, assume it's cold and, I hope, dry in your neck of the woods? If so, I am betting you might venture out for a walk somewhere. I got out for a walk yesterday, much as walking doesn't thrill me, but we had guests and walking along while gossiping does make it tolerable for me. Sounds like you take a sensible and cautious approach to walking, being careful and slowing down, using trekking poles when necessary, and here's hoping those hips are enjoying the activity. Happy Thursday!

@Barbaraj It's been very cold here and I'm feeling like a winter wimp. Wednesday I did a low impact aerobic video and today I went mall walking (and confirmed my dislike of the hard slippery floors). But it has been dry and is supposed to be milder next week so I hope to get back outside.

I like the sound of the low impact aerobic video. I have a couple of those somewhere, maybe that would be fun on the really cold days. That's too bad about the floors in the mall. I was visiting a client in the hospital and boy, did I ever rack up a bunch of steps. It had several really long hallways and then there was the neverending parking garage. :walking:
But I don't think that's a daily exercise option.

@CricketHip I access the low impact aerobic videos on youtube and bookmark those I like. Jane Fonda has some updated ones--a few with dance moves and then 2 with walking that are supposed to be the equivalent of walking a mile. And there's always Leslie Sansone--she has a lot of stuff up on YouTube. These can get boring as the winter rolls on but they do get me moving safely away from icy walkways and most incorporate moves that are part of my PT routines (sidestepping, etc.). Some even have balance components.

I suspect I'll be visiting the mall again in spite of the hard floors--anything to get moving and get out of the house.

I actually have Sansone’s DVDs but what a great idea on the You Tube access. Thank you!!

Hi there, fellow "winter wimp" (what a great term!) and although we have pretty mild winters here in the PNW I often feel cold and chilled even though I know it's a lot warmer here than your neck of the woods. I think the dampness is what creeps into my bones and makes me feel so chilled. I don't do home exercise videos but should perhaps try again. I remember doing those many gazillion years ago when my daughters were young. They'd always want to do them with me which was fun to see but wasn't necessarily very effective for my concentration. I think the key to recovery is just trying out different things and finding out what works for YOU. You're going to get to the end of the recovery road just like everyone else. Have a great Saturday, @gertie!

Hello @gertie
Hopefully the mild weather you mentioned was forecast will allow you a few more walks outdoors before you're forced to resort to workout videos or mall walking. It's a long Winter in this Northern tier. We need to get out and enjoy it while we're able.
Have a great weekend!

Hope your week is starting out well, @gertie, and the promise of clear skies at least one or two days to come. It's overcast and wet here in the PNW, although not raining at the moment. For me, wet and rotten weather won't impact my ability to hoof it off to the gym at some point but for you outdoor walkers I'm guessing it can be pretty miserable if the weather doesn't cooperate. I have no excuses and not having gone yesterday (in my own defense, we had lunch with friends yesterday and the day got away from me) I definitely need to get there today...later maybe. Have a good Monday!

@Barbaraj Overcast, raw, and drizzly here today so I'm trying to pep talk myself into a walk. We'll see. I'm also in a transition period with orthotics--left my usual ones, that have worked really well, off at a pedorthist's for refurbishing and adding something to curb pronation and am using OTC inserts that don't work nearly as well. So, a temporary increase in knee and leg muscle achiness (but not hips)--and sore feet--but I pick up the good ones tomorrow. Isn't there always something needing attention?

Yes, @gertie, I do agree that there is ALWAYS something going on with our temperamental bodies. But sounds like as each issue arises you are taking appropriate steps. Have you always worn orthotics? Looks like you've had knee surgeries as well as hip surgeries so I am assuming the orthotics were needed early on for stabilization and pain relief. I hope the "good ones" you pick up today will be helpful. Overcast and rainy again here in my world, so sticking indoors for the most part today. Happy Tuesday!

@Barbaraj I've worn orthotics for many years but nothing to do with the knee surgeries--although it's all connected, right? I have problem feet--bunions, fallen metatarsal arches, etc--and thankfully orthotics seem to sort things out so walking is comfortable and I've so far avoided foot surgery. My refurbished orthotics were not ready mid-day today so one more day with the temporary ones.

No outdoor walk yesterday but I did a 20 minutes low impact aerobic routine (thank you YouTube) in my living room. These routines incorporate a lot of hip strengthening moves and use muscles in different ways than just walking. If I'd tried them earlier in recovery they probably would have been hip stressing moves but now I can do them with minimal stress/fatigue.

Good for you, @gertie--if you can't get outside for some exercise you find something online that works. Sounds like the routines that you've found on YouTube are good ones, that help stretch and strengthen those pesky hips--plus probably glutes and thighs as well. Keep at it, you doing great and I'm still convinced that in 2020 you'll be smiling and those hips will loosen up. Mine are still stiff and aching in mornings and certainly when I sit too long, but I know that this will ease up next year--patience is key, as well as keeping up with some form of structured (at least for me) activity. Have a good Hump Day!

Warning--rant ahead!

I'm approaching the 5 month mark--and feeling frustrated at glacial progress, slowed down in part by wintry weather and partly by the whole orthotic situation--both getting in the way of increasing walking distance. But I'm even more frustrated at how long it's taking to get comfortable with steps, low seats, low toilets, etc. This is especially ticking me off since I'd finally gotten to a point post TKRs where I was less wary of all those things. So this feels like a setback--for good reason I know but still...enough already.

I'm going to a meeting today at a house with 8 inch high entryway steps and no railing, then a concert tomorrow night with a flight of stairs to get into the venue plus needing to walk on dimly lit, uneven sidewalks from parking lot to venue, and then Thanksgiving at a house with high entry way steps, low sofas, low toilets, and lots of people in a small space. Sigh. Common sense tells me to use my cane on the dimly lit sidewalk but I haven't used it in ages (except to boost me up some of those steps) and hate to roust it out again. I am just so over needing to think about all of this! (And I'm so over having to respond to friends' "concerned" comments--"Are you still having trouble?"--implying something must be wrong if I'm still having a hard time with their stupid entryways! )

Thinking back to my first THR I realize I never had to work through this phase because at about 5 months my right knee got really painful and my activity was seriously limited by that. The PT tells me I'm being a good sport about all this--not feeling very good sporty today though!

@gertie Where in W Mass are you? I have relatives living in that area. I don't live in that area because I don't like winters like that.
Winter or not poorly lit "rustic" walkways and crazy stairs are the norm here in the mtns too. Best thing is a really good light. Low toilets and seats it's good if you can reach down between your thighs to help yourself sit gently and to raise yourself up.

Gertie, I think as aging adults we need to adjust to some of the inconveniences you've shared above. I don't believe we can blame all of our aches and stiffness and decreasing ease in movement on joint replacement. We aren't going to access low seats, toilets, etc with the same relative ease as a younger version of ourselves unaffected by arthritis, stiffness and an aging body.

Is there room for improvement, I'm guessing yes, but as my 82 yr old mother reminded me, she can't do some of the things I can do, just as I can't do some of the things my daughter can do. It's great to have goals and I'm sure you'll still make progress beyond this Five Month point but please cut yourself some slack and possibly lower your expectations a tiny bit, for this point in time. Look at it this way, if it gets better, wonderful! If it doesn't, at least you're no longer suffering with pain nor some of the serious complications such as dislocation, infection etc that we read about here daily.
You're doing well and you're on your way. Engage and Enjoy!
I hope today is a good one. :)
@gertie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020