THR MEPil on the recovery side

@Elf1 thank you I will try that. Hope you are doing well and have a great day.

Yesterday was Therapy and I am now off the walker and using the cane. I was very excited. She worked with me on walking on my own, right now I walk like all over the place. Sure have a way to go before I'm walking normal again, but feels good being off the walker.
Stiffness this morning takes time to start limbering up. Still numbness and sore.
Hope everybody has a great day.

Glad to hear you are using the cane and hopefully feel encouraged.
Stiffness this morning takes time to start limbering up. Still numbness and sore.
Hope everybody has a great day.
Promise this is all very normal... and in my case, was normal for many months.
Have a good day, friend.:flwrysmile:

Awesome news! Isn't it exciting to lose the cane. I sure thought so.
Try to engage in heel-toe walking to feel more in control of your stride.
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. Helps with a limp also if you have one.
Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!
@MEPil

@Layla I am now on the cane from the walker. I will definitely do the heel to toe walking and yes have to deal getting over a bad limp. Going to take work getting back to being normal.

Oops, I meant the walker! :heehee:
I read it right, but responded wrong. :hissy:
Time for a break, maybe. :wink:
Have a good one!
@MEPil

Congratulations on cane progression. If stiff in the am you might want to consider using the walker for a little bit when first getting up or in the middle of the night. I did that with my last hip recovery.

Agree about using the walker still in the morning and maybe at night just to be on the safe side. I know I used it when getting up in the middle of the night for bathroom breaks. Made my hubby much happier too. And if you start feeling tired while using the cane you can use the walker for a while as well. No shame in doing both.

@MEPil Congratulations on getting onto the cane, you progressed faster than I did. As other folks mentioned keep the walker around for some middle of the night necessary trips or other times you may be fatigued. But getting weaned off it is great. And my incision area is still numb too at 7 weeks. Better than before but it wil get there...!

@Steelmanpa today hasn't been the greatest a lot of discomfort, hope I'm not transitioning too soon. I am going to keep the walker close by and talk to the therapist tomorrow and see what she thinks. The numbness and soreness is bothersome to me. My leg feels a bit longer but not much. I'm definitely not graceful on the cane either. Hope you are doing well. Thank you for all your help.

@MEPil Patience, my hippie friend.. Try to have patience.. You are doing pretty well, all things considered and if you are sore tonight then yes, maybe use the walker again for tonight and possibly tomorrow?
It gives true meaning to baby steps, doesn't it?
I know it's difficult not to worry but you are progressing a bit, maybe not as fast as you want, but it all takes time.
I bet if you returned to the beginning of your recovery thread you will see that you have indeed made progress.
I remember my 3rd week of recovery as being so frustrating.. I also remember that it does get better.

Oh! I transitioned to 2 canes before using 1. I felt more mobile and not as clunky as the walker.. just a thought.
Have a good night.:sleep:

@MEPil The suggestion for two canes is not a bad idea from @CricketHip . At times I have used two canes in my yard and was surprised how much better that felt. That said, the walker is a good thing to have if you feel you need it.
I have read about one leg feeling a bit longer than the other, on BS, and if I remember correctly, some folks say initially it is because of tight muscles, so when they relax over time, it can even up.
I am hoping each day gets a bit easier for you.

@VSlowLife two canes might be a good idea to try. Thank you for the suggestion. Most of my worst in when I get up in the morning and latter in the day with energy drain. I really start putting slot of my weight on the cane, don't want that to encourage the limp.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back