TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

So that's my holiday done and dusted. Despite all the problems thrown at us, had a great time with good friends.
With the knee, the beach walking was no issue, but in retrospect I bit off more driving than I could chew.
Probably 700 miles during the week. My new knee is the right one, so has to do all the accelerating and breaking, and on British roads that means a lot of going from one to the other and back.
The layout of the pedals meant that I had to keep my knee bent.
So the result is that it is now pretty swollen and stiff, particularly above the knee, which I don't understand.
So it's loads of icing and rest for a few days for me.
But we missed a storm yesterday which dumped 4 inches of rain on our home village yesterday. In the towns around us floods drove many people from their houses, or stranded in retail parks where they slept all night, or were rescued by boat. So things aren't too bad for me in comparison.

@Tykey Hope you escaped all the flooding. We didn't have any but certainly have lots of muddy fields.

Lots of driving for that new knee. You know the drill! Hope the swelling eases soon!

Your holiday sounded eventful... but now you are home your knee needs some TLC after all that driving.... it just had to let you know it still needs that love & attention... so glad the flooding didn’t affect you...

I can relate to the knee and driving...my TKR was the R leg also, and since I returned to work 3.5 weeks ago, I've driven about the same mileage that you mention...

At first, I couldn't understand the knee stiffness, shin, and calf pain. However, now that I think about the number of times I put the brakes on then accelerate (just like you mention) I understand why I felt that I regressed and then stalled over the first 3 weeks back to work. Suddenly, this week I'm feeling that I have started to turn a corner. Good luck with your icing and elevating?

I'm sorry to hear about the flooding over there. I hope it settles down soon!

Holidays come and go so fast am so glad that you had a lovely time despite minor events and hope you are all feeling better.
I did wonder whether you had been affected by so much rain so awful for the people whom homes have been damaged ...we have had the odd sprinkle of rain but not enought to even wet the ground, today is 18 degrees and sunny but the wind is cold I'm currently sitting in front of a window in a sunny spot indoors trying to keep warm might insist on fire being lit and heat up the house...
Hope the swelling has gone down and you are taking it easy.
So looking forward to getting the ok to drive...cabin fever has hit hard.

:)Highlight of my day is a Bakewell Apple pie for dessert with English double cream and good old English Mince Pies for our tea ...
Old habits die hard

Please don't tempt me, because I've just rejoined Slimming World.
Enjoy them

I can confirm I'm taking it easy, mostly. And it's feeling a bit better already. I'm having difficulty remembering how I was at this stage, with my first knee. I guess it must have been similar, because I do specifically remember that at 6 months it was all 100% and not before, as Bonesmart said it would.

Last edited:
I'm trying to improve my bend a bit, it's improving, but a few more degrees will help a lot getting in and out of the car and driving.
We all know that there's a limit when it gets very uncomfortable, but as soon as I reach the limit, the outer big ligament at the back of the knee suddenly goes into spasm and hurts a lot and I have to kick my leg straight.
The inner one is quite comfortable
'ti's a mystery

Just that knee's way of telling you to back off! More proof every TKR is different - even on the same person.

It's funny how each knee reacts differently to various movements. I'm so grateful that I can stand and walk some now....I was surprised how for the first 6-7 weeks, I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes and every short walk I took I got some reaction!?

I can now do quite a bit more, what a blessing!

I'm trying to improve my bend a bit, it's improving, but a few more degrees will help a lot getting in and out of the car and driving.
This sounds like a good thing to be trying at this point in recovery. I have had about three weeks longer to recover than you have. Just in the past few weeks I notice that I don't have to lean my car seat back, or slide it backwards, to get in and out of the car comfortably any more. That's even the case when wearing my New Balance running shoes, which are big and harder to squeeze into the car than my other shoes. Good luck and I hope you get that bend just as you want it, soon!

@Tykey Haven't seen any posts from you in a few days so hopefully " no new is good news" although I miss your amusing tales.
As we progress - it's the norm not to need BoneSmart as frequently, days pass quicklier and hopefully nights one sleeps longer - Thankfully I'm getting a decent 6-7 hours sleep ( I usually awake momentarily to shift position - shuffle pillow agound)
Anyway sending good vibes your way xx

Its doing brilliantly, thanks.
Never get any pain, just a bit stiff. I'm now living a normal life, doing everything I choose to do, other than limbo dancing!
My knee is up to walking miles, but my general fitness is holding me back a bit. Unless I'm going up and down stairs, it's impossible to tell which knee it is. I can even kneel (if I forget not to)
It was just the same with the first knee, I'm at a loss to explain why I recover quickly.
It can only be either something in my genes, or how I approach recovery, just doing everything I can as soon as I can, and tomorrow, do it twice. A PT has never touched me, just given me little snippets of advice. I treat everything as a challenge, never as a problem. My ROM would never win a prize, but it's enough for everything I do. It may well improve more, but to no more benefit.
One thing I've noticed is that at a certain point, recovery accelerates, and then again and again. I suspect you are nearing that point, I hope so.
You will soon be out climbing those wonderful Redwoods.

Great update @Tykey ! We will miss your posts here but it's great to see you living life again. Well done!

So pleased for you :dancy: and great that you are doing so well I for one will miss your amusing posts and the Yorkshire banter but wish you all the best for the future.

I too, am so glad to hear from you!!! I agree the positive keeps us going! My OS just yesterday said I'm ahead of many also....however, I think he's so positive it just makes you feel better!

I have now hit my 2 of 5 miles....still not out in the woods (mostly Ponderosa and Sugar Pines where we live) or maybe I should say out OF the woods...as I still have a L knee that's talking to me and may need replacement in the next year!
We will miss your lovely banter for sure, but you can always come back and taunt us :snow plough: Especially for any of us that have another go-round with this!

Blessings and happy trails to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks