THR How long does recovery take....my new answer

Z15

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi friends,

I wanted to stop by and offer one datapoint regarding how long recovery takes. This is not about how long before one is walking or back to your normal daily activities. This is the measure of how long before you get as much post-operative functionality as you are going to get. I had my hip replaced going on 8 years ago and have been working since Day One to be as functional as possible. But at this point in my life, now in my 60's it's not as easy as going full strength, full speed every day because I have too many other parts that won't put up with that. During those 8 years I've been laid up after shoulder surgery, dealt with knee issues, Achilles problems, arthritis, blah, blah, blah... I do as much as I can as often as I can and push up to what I am allowed to do by my surgeon.

My surgeon let's me run up to 3 miles 3 times per week and so a 3 mile run has been my yardstick. If I could go off and run 5 or 6 miles it would let me get to the point where 3 miles feels easier....but that is no longer an option.

So this past summer at the 7.5 year mark I had my fastest 3 mile time that I have had in my entire recovery. There was nothing noteworthy about how things were going, just the fact that the steady slog of recovery (offset by 7 years of aging) finally got to that moment. I had run under 8:30 min miles a couple times in recent years (going as fast as I could) and on that day in June I ran 8:15 minute miles. So in my mind I had not gotten as much functionality back after my surgery until that point, 7+ years later.

I think that MAY be the fastest I run for the rest of my life, but I won't stop trying. My second hip is pretty bad now and I am am planning to get that replaced early next year so the recovery will begin again (and I'll start at 14 min miles and keep plugging away).

My point is, and the reason I decided to offer this, that there is a good chance that you CAN keep getting better many years down the road. I feel like if I did not have another hip in my future I might achieve an 8:10 in the next couple years. Progress is occasionally glacial, but it's progress.

Good luck with your recoveries. Don't let setbacks stop you from keeping moving forward. :yes:

Z

1573141746123.png

@Z15 John, so great to see you back here. I was thinking about you recently and wondered what you were up to.

Thanks for checking in and for your great input. Just more proof that recovery continues for a very long time.

Well done on your running! I somehow knew you would never give that up.

And when you are ready to get that second hip replaced, do join us here. We will be with you through the journey again!

Interesting post! I'm in the same boat with a lot of other body parts that are worn out that slow me down from what I used to be able to do. I have no urge to go running again for a yardstick of progress. I do know that I am just short of 2 years and see progress continuously. Most have no idea that I had a hip replaced by what I can do, but I am quite aware of it.

Progress is occasionally glacial, but it's progress.
Thank you so much for your honest and yet optimistic assessment of recovery! We all need to read more of these real life results. Bless you and good luck with hip 2.

Thank you for your post. I was in such a rush to recover but now realize that my body and what I do for it, is in charge. I’m 7 months post-op now, and I was whining & brooding after 3 months. There were still so many things I could not do. This group helped me not to have unrealistic expectations when recovering and that everyone is different.

I still feel like I’m recovering or like the rest of my body still has to adjust to my new hip. Some days, I feel as if I had never had surgery and those days are great. Other days, my back aches or gets stiff when I walk too much. So, I still take it one day at a time and try not to worry so much.

Also, when you get older, it’s pretty inevitable that a few joints here & there might wear out. I never thought I’d see the day, but I think it’s happening. I just try to stay active and keep on walking.

HI, Z! So good to hear from you and to know you're livin' a good life after your first hip. You know we'll be here for Hip #2 and I'm hoping things go well for you with it too.

You've offered a very valuable perspective on coming back after a hip replacement. You know, we always call it a person's "joint journey." And your experience has proven just that ..... it is a real journey over time and it's important to enjoy each phase as an accomplishment and joy.

Your datapoint is a very helpful (hopeful) and realistic perspective on aging, in general. It’s easy to feel “done” and challenging to reframe expectations. I very much appreciate your post, it will help me to reconsider my outlook. I have been wondering if this is as good as it gets, and what to do with it. Change is hard, the unknown is harder. Looking at the bigger picture in context is my goal. I’m no athlete, but I have been figuring out what’s logical, possible, manageable and still intellectually challenging. Just comfortably moving around, walking farther, standing for long periods without pain is what I’d like, (and need in my creative work). Maybe some days I’ll be able to do that, and some days need more rest. I just do not want to feel “done” with aspirations. Thanks for putting your experience out here and best of luck with your next hip!

@Rbc Your comments above really resonated with me. Even removing the replaced hip as a factor, there are so many things that arise as we age that need dealt with, both logistically (physically) AND mentally/emotionally. It is a constant work in progress and proof indeed that in order to live fully we need to keep learning, adapting, and growing! :loveshwr:

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I had 2 revisions (just new parts) after my original so I'm pretty comfortable with the process.

Some of your comments got me thinking and I guess I tend to pick a goal, hopefully at least borderline achievable, and I work towards that. I kind of don't even realize I'm doing it because I do it about pretty much everything. And if I get there, I just set a new one. (My stretch goal had been to get under 8 minute miles for the last few years and I didn't get there. But that is ok...it was arbitrary)

So even pre surgery I imagine jogging another 14 minute mile next year...and then a little faster and a little faster.

That's my approach and I understand that I am more data driven (understatement), and others take things a lot more casually. For me, having the goal, motivates me to work a bit harder.

But my key point is...I feel like I am proof that you can keep getting better for many years after a joint replacement (at least 7). And that is a good thing. :friends:

Mate! I have been awaiting a post like this for some time now! This is fantastic to see that you are running and the information you have shared will help and encourage me to start in small steps!

But my key point is...I feel like I am proof that you can keep getting better for many years after a joint replacement (at least 7). And that is a good thing.

Thank you for sharing this. It’s inspirational as you can see from mccane21 21’s post above.
Take care to stay safe and well during these uncertain times. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom