THR Bickypeg's new hip

That's good to know @Apricot thanks.
I did Tai Chi for several years in Royd but (one for @Layla here) I had to give it up as I couldn't remember all the sequences! As soon as I'd got the hang of one it suddenly changed into another bizarre movement (strangling the sparrow?!) and I'd be all over the place unlike the incredibly ancient ladies who seemed to have no trouble at all! Some of them even went up to the intermediate class. Oh the shame! At least it was better than yoga as I didn't have to get down on the floor. And back again. (I wasn't always so feeble - I could do the plough and stand on my head etc at one time)‍:climb:

Hey, @bickypeg--you aren't "feeble", you are recovering! Don't be so hard on yourself. You are plugging along, doing the best you can (and with an admirable sense of humor, I might add) and I continue to think that for all of us 2019 hipsters, the new year will bring increased flexibility, strength and endurance. That's my position and I'm sticking to it! Have a great day!

Hi there :wave:
Ya loveable loon...you crack me up.
Strangling the sparrow :heehee:

I'd be all over the place unlike the incredibly ancient ladies who seemed to have no trouble at all!

Sounds like it would have been some good humor, if nothing else, lol.
You don't have to aspire to be an athlete. Only comfortably able to reach down for hugs, kisses and whiffs of the sweet scent of the little blonde cherub, get to the bus for trips to town to have coffee and chat with some of the locals and maybe one day actually get the cute bathmat with the ducks on it wet as you gracefully lift your leg over the side with ease to get out of the tub of bath water after a long soak. :bath:
I know it will happen and I can't wait to read all about it! :happydance:
Hope you have a wonderful evening and a good night's sleep!

The results have finally arrived for the huge survey from 'Cloudy With a Chance of Pain' regarding the effect of weather on arthritis, if any, in which I was a participant.
Not sure I've attached the links here in a useful fashion but it's worth pursuing despite the article's length. Humidity is your worst enemy guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191025-201058.jpg
    Screenshot_20191025-201058.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot_20191025-201158.jpg
    Screenshot_20191025-201158.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 176
Humidity?! That's news. I don't like humidity. I almost think I'd choose cold, over high humidity. Makes me feel yucky and it's a guaranteed bad hair day.
Shallow....I know...but it's true!

Wondering what fun plans you have on the agenda for the weekend? It's already afternoon for you as I post a few with my morning coffee. Hopefully some family time and something fun to report back because you're my morning entertainment some days, bickypeg. So don't let me down now. :wink:
Big hugs and wishes for a wonderful pain free weekend!
@bickypeg

Hi, @bickypeg. Hope you're doing okay, and humidity is LOW in your part of the world! It's sunny and rather cool here, but I'll take sunshine any time I can get it. I can deal with the cooler temperatures (wool sweaters, warm socks and our trusty gas fireplace) but I agree that damp weather is truly miserable for most of us. Have a great Sunday!

Interesting! Hot humid weather makes my hip feel happy. Cold damp weather the opposite. Just put the frost cover on my car windscreen in anticipation of an early start tomorrow. Clocks changed in the uk last night so frantically trying to sort out milk bottles, recycling rubbish etc before the light goes. Ugh!

Hi, @bickypeg, I hope your week is starting off well. I hope the damp weather eases up a bit, although this time of year I am guessing that humidity and cold are dominant features of most days, and if humidity is making you ache more then it's hard to avoid the problem. Would a dehumidifier work at all? Even without hip surgery I am guessing that many of us are cranky this time of year with the lack of light, the gloom and the general "rats--I'm getting older" aches and pains that linger. But, keep on moving along--spring and summer will show up again next year.

Realise I haven't been on here for a while. But I need you Bonesmart! (apolgies for the length of the post)
Had a lovely busy week! Monday a trip to the local park from a different end and more climbing along muddy paths than I would have liked, but all well and it was worth it for the autumn colours. Then garden centre for refreshments of course! 'Judy' in the evening at the cinema but I didn't enjoy it. So miserable.
Mercy dash to babysit on Tuesday as no. 2 was in to have his tendon or whatever reattached. So glad to help out - I like to feel useful.
Then was brave enough on Wednesday to get the train to the nearest shopping mall unaccompanied. Had a bit of a panic walking down from the station and felt I couldn't manage it and then right knee became painful. Was glad to have stick with me. But after a sit down and a coffee it seemed fine. Bought a cute jumper but had soon had enough of shops and was glad to get home. But felt proud of myself!
Next day called to check on no.3's cat and have a cuddle as they were in Iceland (fancy paying to go somewhere cold!) and then to no 1's for a takeaway and an exciting Will Smith film.
Old friend and husband popped in for a pub lunch Friday and then stayed until the evening! Lots of chat and then much merriment when we finally got onto school days. Nothing as therapeutic as being helpless with laughter!
Then Saturday and Sunday no.2 and family were over for no.1's 41st birthday and to stay the night and I made lunch and all well. Managing fine with the occasional dose of paracetamol.
Monday a short babysit at theirs again with no.1 and we called first at the nearby shopping centre. In and out of shops without a stick, felt terrific, really happy and as though I'd turned a corner. Oh the joy of moving about without thinking about my body!
And today I felt rotten! A bad night's sleep and then dozed and fell into a dreadful nightmare. Aching and stiff when I got up and knee sore again. Went into the village for a short walk although it was cold and damp after a bright frosty start but felt sore and gloomy and irritable. Two lots of paracetamol has taken the edge off but the usual WHY? Really hadn't overdone it and have been sticking to my 5000 steps or so.
So back on here with my tail between my legs as usual! :beg:
It was so great to feel I was doing normal things again with only the occasional hiccup and to make plans for future activities without qualifying it with 'if I'm up to it'. Sleep is still poor but I've got used to it. I really could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Again...

Attachments

• 20191021_124447.jpg
    20191021_124447.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20191022_173103.jpg
    20191022_173103.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 20191024_155412.jpg
    20191024_155412.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 20191025_141257.jpg
    20191025_141257.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 20191026_143025.jpg
    20191026_143025.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 20191027_091715.jpg
    20191027_091715.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 20191028_145652.jpg
    20191028_145652.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 175
Oh @bickypeg I'm sorry you're having a bad day. It sure seems like you've had a great week with lots of activities and fun.

I don't know, maybe it's that damp, cold weather that seems to be showing up in everyone's neighborhood. I'm even dealing with it and coming freeze warnings here in what is usually sunny Texas! I know it's causing my arthritis to kick up everywhere in my body, just achy all over.

Only thing I can suggest is lay low for the rest of what's starting to be your evening and stay warm and cozy.

This is a very nice update! :goodpost: I found a lot of normalcy in it and like you said , you now feel like you are able to do things that are normal to you. I'm sorry that the knee acted up but maybe you can try staggering the days of activities and you knee will calm down. The damp weather doesn't help, does it?
You have such a lovely family, I am a little envious that you have them so close by. I wish I could have that. sigh.

You did have a full week!
Sounds like you were all over the place engaging in activity. Enjoying Autumn's beauty in the fresh air, catching your breath with refreshments at the garden center, one of my personal happy places, shopping excursions, babysitting the lil cherub and lots of FAMILY time, your fave! I haven't seen the movie Judy, but it looks sad, her life seemed tragic and depressing. Personally not a Renee Zellweger fan, so I can't imagine her as Judy Garland, was it a believable portrayal? I guess JG definitely made her mark with the 80 yr old classic we all know by heart, the Wizard Of Oz.

Next day called to check on no.3's cat and have a cuddle as they were in Iceland (fancy paying to go somewhere cold!)

The bickypeg humor I love! :heehee:

Lots of chat and then much merriment when we finally got onto school days. Nothing as therapeutic as being helpless with laughter!

I agree! I get together with my grade school friends on ocassion and it's the best of times filled with laughter. We always reminisce about our youth and school days.

I'm sorry after all that activity, merriment and feeling good, you're feeling rotten again. Poor sleep, nightmare, stiff and achy. It seems as long as you stay busy and really engaged with others, I'm talking meaniful conversation, not just small talk in passing while out at the shops, and you stay active with friends and family in lengthy visits, you're happiest and thriving. As soon as it was all over, sleep was poor, unpleasant dreams swirling in your head and nagging physical pain manifests again. It seems there has to be more to this than just mere "distraction" causing you to feel better.

Do you have the time or inclination to join any type of womans group, or take some type of class with other woman? Something to keep you engaged on more of a regular basis. I understand it's a commitment which may make it unappealing, but wondering if it might really benefit you for a time?
I love your pics, dear bickypeg, thanks for sharing. Sending a warm hug with wishes your evening is a peaceful one.

You're quite right @Layla I do need to have regular meetings with other women - I always worked in jobs (social worker, librarian, primary school support assistant) which were mainly female and I miss the companionship. I was all set to have a look round for groups and had also told my old friend I'd get the train to Manchester(she lives on the other side) and we'd meet up soon. She was really keen (she does lots of things - Rock Choir, zumba, dancing etc :sleep:) But then today happens and my confidence just goes completely. More worrying are the mood swings - yesterday I was slightly manic, today not! I have been sleeping poorly for the last week or so (and it's never good) but I usually just listen to audible for a while and drop off again.
I'm always thrilled to see the family of course but well aware I can't live my life through them. I am blessed @CricketHip I know. But at the moment it is certainly a two way thing - a house move, Christmas- seems we may have more company here than we bargained for!
're the Judy film - it was a great performance but there were a lot of strange facial mannerisms which irritated. And they referred back to Wizard of Oz but not happily! Poor soul. I'd rather watch Meet Me in St Louis or A Star is Born any time.

I don't know why you lose confidence, dear bickypeg.
You seem to be a sweet delight and I know I find your humor amusing, I'm quite sure others would as well. Pushing yourself to engage may make those mood swings disappear. Possibly it you stay busy enough, you won't have time to entertain negative thoughts that come creeping in, or allow those blue moods to consume you. Maybe if you find one class, or group activity you could partake in weekly, it would open the doors to other possibilities, or opportunities for new friendships. If it doesn't work out, at least you've tried and you can always find something else.
Sending a hug and wishing you a great Wednesday and rest of the week!
@bickypeg

Hi, there, @bickypeg I loved your description of a busy week, with lots of visiting with family and friends, very pleasant. I am sorry that you suffered discomfort but as you commented, who the heck knows WHY this happens--it is what it is and I think you just have to keep trudging along. Is it tedious? Yes, of course, it is! And maddening! But we don't get a vote and just need to remember this is all part of the too lengthy healing process and focus our minds ahead--2020, here we come! Loved your pictures, such a nice variety--you are clearly good about taking photos regularly. I wish I did a better job of capturing the small moments--way too many photos of awkwardly arranged groups staring at the camera and not very attractive, any of 'em! I know you are probably a little frightened of the upcoming holidays, with more folks than you'd originally thought, but just resolve to put some of those additional folks to work helping out. When you are entertaining, and are "old school" you are horrified at asking guests to roll up their sleeves and help out. But times have changed, and you've got two artificial hips and you're in recovery. Ask for help--do it with a smile and "please" and I am betting that folks will willingly do whatever you ask. Hope the sleep difficulties ease up as I believe poor sleep absolutely contributes to a difficult outlook during the day. But keep busy as you're able and enjoy the lovely landscapes--such a pretty picture of fall foliage in the first picture you posted. Have a good day!

Lovely @Layla and @Barbaraj - can always count on you to say just the right things!:loveshwr::curtsey::loveshwr::curtsey:.
I'm fine now! Two dreadful night's sleep, last night a leaking hot water bottle didn't help! and then being chased up a hill by a wicked murderous fat woman. I have a lot of being 'chased by nasty things' dreams. Probably doesn't take much interpretation.
But yesterday was bright and cold so we headed to a nearby stretch of managed woodland.(Hardcastle Crags @Apricot ) Hadn't been since a Boxing Day years ago when I was suddenly in agony walking back but didn't want to spoil the Christmas fun. So it was good to revisit and conquer the bad memory. Only did half a mile and turned back and it was much hillier than I remembered and with loose gravel paths. So was ridiculously careful but still managed to enjoy the foliage Barbara. And the bag of chocolates.
I was still restless in the afternoon (but not sadly for some overdue dusting) so we drove up to the youngest's and put our turkey in his freezer. Then a nice walk along his road on the top, lots of smiley people and loads of activities going on judging from notices in the tiny shop. I could live there but it would be impractical :sigh: Did over 6000 steps but broke them up and a quiet evening so feel none the worse today.
Busy now defrosting the freezer and sorting out my damp bedding. Have already done 3000 steps going back and forth to the kitchen. But I don't mind as I have the Dracula ballet at the cinema tonight. Saw it live twice, and it's horribly beautiful.
So far so good. It's cold but sunny again. Definitely suits me more than mild and damp.

Attachments

• 20191030_112239.jpg
    20191030_112239.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20191030_111146.jpg
    20191030_111146.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 179
Ha, ha @bickypeg I have NEVER met anyone who was ever restless for not doing dusting! That cracked me up. I confess I seldom dust, and I've got lots of dusty tables to prove it. It's such a tedious chore and right after it's done that miserable dust just keeps sifting down again.

Hope the Dracula ballet was a good show and that the third time didn't pall. And good for you with all that walking--lovely scenery and great exercise. While I'm generally content living in American suburbia, I do sometimes miss the countryside and the scenery it affords. Of course, I suppose I could drive somewhere to enjoy this but I'm not that motivated! Hope today is another sunny and cold day for you to enjoy!

Its a while since I've done the Hardcastle walks. The last time I found the up and downs of the streamside paths too much for the knee. You are doing loads more than I am on. No excuses. But I am regularly walking in the pool and trying to get the weaker muscles to build up. Not always easy to find the right groups to connect with in the Calder Valley. Have you tried any of the WIs?

Oh I didn't dare do the paths down to or along the river @Apricot! Just on the main path. I tried a WI once in rural Warwickshire in the 1980s. They were making corn dollies! :rotfl: and it was embarrassing as I am so cack handed. Put me off for life, unfairly. I'll find some history/book type thing eventually. Wouldn't mind a choir - used to go to a Rock Choir ages ago. And had some happy times with asylum seekers' families back in the day. I'll find something.
Warm and damp again today but not feeling too bad. Even did some cooking with all the defrosted meat from my marathon with the freezer though I still don't like standing in one place too long. And been sweeping leaves. Scarily slippery on those Yorkshire flags.
Sleeping poorly still and waking stiff but as I don't feel sleepy during the day perhaps I don't need so much? Was Christmas shopping online at 2.00 am. And enjoying Michael Palin in N Korea on audible.

Attachments

• IMG-20191102-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20191102-WA0008.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 169
Defrosting a freezer is one of my most hated tasks.. even just sorting and cleaning it makes me very grumpy! But afterwards? The best feeling ever!!
I am curious about your two dishes on the stove? They look so yummy... what are they? When are you serving? :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts