Bilateral THR Boxerdad67's Recovery Thread

Boxerdad67

Country
United States United States
@Boxerdad67 just checking in to see how things went today? Didn't see a Post Op thread for you on the recovery side a little while ago. Hope you're resting well, let us know how it went when you're feeling up to it.
Yes
So far post op has been terrific after 7 hours. Pain is minimal and all things going well.
Thank you

Hi @Boxerdad67 - I'm glad things are gong well so far.

I've started a recovery thread for you. Please post about your recovery here and not in your pre-op thread. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Hi again, @Boxerdad67

Here is your recovery reading - lots of good advice and informative, short articles:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Happy to hear you're all done and on the way to getting well.
Slow and steady...lots of rest and ice while things are settling!:ice:
All temporary.

Welcome to the healing side, hope your pain is still minimal and you're getting plenty of rest. I know, hospital, last place to try and rest! :heehee:

Hopefully you'll get sprung to go home before too long so you can really start to heal.

Well Hi everyone
I hope I’m posting my post op thread correctly. So I was discharged in 27 hours, home and resting well. My first attempt at walking 9 hours post op was not good, barely made it 12 steps and became very dizzy and nauseous. My Dr advised this was due to the meds and spinal I had. So let me tell my surgeon was done in less than 3 hours and the spinal worked amazing, no issues at all. So I walked about 30 feet first time yesterday with PT and second round was 180 feet. A 2 hour car ride home and I got to see my precious boxers and slept in my bed actually. So today I’ve been up on my walker and making progress through the house slowly. No pain meds except for Tramadol and Tylenol. Lots of ice packs and elevation but so far I am totally amazed. Thanks to this wonderful site to talk and share our experiences

Good Morning and a Happy Wednesday to you!
There's no place like home for some serious R &R as you begin the recovery journey. It sounds like you're off to a good start after the initial unfavorable, but common reactions you suffered at your surgery site. Thankfully after a good night's sleep, you're back in action and ready to roll. Keep up the icing, elevation and proper rest. Take some naps if you feel inclined. Our body does it's best repair work while we're sleeping.

Stop back often, we'd love to follow your healing journey and offer support and encouragement along the way. I hope today is a good one!
@Boxerdad67

Good Morning and a Happy Wednesday to you!
There's no place like home for some serious R &R as you begin the recovery journey. It sounds like you're off to a good start after the initial unfavorable, but common reactions you suffered at your surgery site. Thankfully after a good night's sleep, you're back in action and ready to roll. Keep up the icing, elevation and proper rest. Take some naps if you feel inclined. Our body does it's best repair work while we're sleeping.

Stop back often, we'd love to follow your healing journey and offer support and encouragement along the way. I hope today is a good one!
@Boxerdad67
Thank you so much

Sounds like you're doing great! I am definitely in awe of you Bilateral folks, I really have to hand it to you. You sound like you have a good handle on recovery, icing, elevating, etc. That's great if Tramadol and Tylenol are doing it for you. Continue to rest, relax, nap when you can, I'm sure the boxer babies would be happy to curl up with you and we all know fur babies are great medicine! Have a great rest of the week, take it slow and steady.

There's no place like home, for healing----that's for sure! Great to hear how well you are doing so far----don't be discouraged if your pain increases as you become more active, and as all of the sedation leaves your system. Just stay on top of the pain as much as possible, and remember that slow and steady truly wins this race:)

Hope you're settling into a recovery groove.
You are doing just great I think.:yes:
Lots of odd niggles and "waking up" sensations plagued me for the first weeks, but it was very obvious to me in early days that my hip joint pain was Cured!:tada:
Slow and steady Does win this race.
Stay chilled, my Both at Once pal.:ice:
All Temporary!

Thank you @Mojo333 The odd pains do catch me off guard for sure. Sleeping in my bed but she has to lift my legs because the bed is tall but boy it helps. I just don’t know how hard to push 72 hours post op. This group is special and helpful and I appreciate all the well wishes and feedback.
Just letting folks know this bilateral business is tough but I have NO joint pain now just surgical. Mine was totally anterior also

Don't need to push anything at this time....the effort it takes to get up, go to the bathroom, take a stroll down a hall, and other small tasks is plenty. In a few days, those traumatized legs with settle a bit...although the lifting issue could take longer. One of mine actually needed help getting up more than the other.:shrug: My quads felt like somone used them for punching bags.:umm:

Hope you are staying iced all you can...and moving about even just for a few minutes every few hours will keep your blood flowing.
Yippee for your new hips, you will love them...eventually.:SUNsmile:

Don't need to push anything at this time....the effort it takes to get up, go to the bathroom, take a stroll down a hall, and other small tasks is plenty. In a few days, those traumatized legs with settle a bit...although the lifting issue could take longer. One of mine actually needed help getting up more than the other.:shrug: My quads felt like somone used them for punching bags.:umm:

Hope you are staying iced all you can...and moving about even just for a few minutes every few hours will keep your blood flowing.
Yippee for your new hips, you will love them...eventually.:SUNsmile:
Yes that’s what I’m doing. Actually had a quick shower. Yeahhhhhhhhh. Nice to be clean but very scary moving around in there but I did have assistance. Guess I don’t need to be to crazy

Guess I don’t need to be to crazy
Nope - slow and steady does it every time. Your priority right now is icing, elevating, medication around the clock as prescribed and repeat. Rest, rest and more rest. Plenty of time for activity and building strength when those hips are healed.

First showers are Scary:flabber:
And exhausting....but in a Good Way.
Hope you're back in your nest.
You are doing just fine.:thumb:

So everyone says Day 3 is the worst, let me say “possibly yes”. Yesterday sucked but we are up this morning having coffee and just glad to be onto another day. Thanks to everyone for their support so far. More updates to come

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom