TKR POCTDB recovery thread

@Poctdb...Sounds like you are getting along better than me. I am walking but still with a lot of pain and stiffness.

@bfw7

Good to hear from you..... I am sorry to hear you still have pain.

You are correct, for me life is pretty much back to norm. I have been very fortunate in this recovery.

Well....back in PT.....but not for the knee.
Back muscles are weak along with the core.
Part of what was wrong with my pickleball, I have come to find out....

Sigh.
Maintenance as you get older is time consuming. Another set of exercises to do.

You aren't kidding about the "maintenance as you get older" thing! My core is weak too, and I'm always looking for new core/back exercises. I'd be interested in hearing more details about those. Do you have some favorites?

I will let you know @rustic. My PT is brand new....passed his boards 2 months ago. (27) He is adorable. I have taught he and his wife to play pickleball.

He says he goes to seminars...and thinks “I can try that exercise on Deanna so she won’t get bored....”

The biofeedback pressure cuff is at present my worst nemesis. I may have been born without those Transverse Abdominus muscles....swear!

HA!!! :heehee: My PT said his wife, had never learned to engage her TAs and had to go through major rehab to help her with her back!! I guess it is a common problem for some of us!! I'm so glad you have a great PT...I do too and feel so blessed!

Would love for your PT to visit me out here in California....put him on the bus and hurry out here!!!

OS today..... no return visit for 6 months.

He will add the hip and back to the current PT treatment plan. His comment
“It would not surprise me if you were in PT for 6 months to a year. You are going to get one thing fixed and something else along the chain will break because your mechanics were so off. We will get it all fixed....before I do your RTK.”
“Yikes...who said anything about that?” I asked.
“Well, how does the right feel?” he asked. “Because this X-RAY shows the same thing that I told you on the left. Does your right knee act jealous?”

DRAT! He must have ESP..... Mr. Right acts the same as the other one did. No push on stairs especially.

So....we shall see. I would like to visit “The Job Store” but a two month break would be tough to sell to a new employer.

I told my OS he was one of the nicest surgeons I had ever dealt with and that I had sent him 5 people already.

He said “Thanks. One of my colleagues told me that I was a surgeon with the heart of a pediatrician.”

You are going to get one thing fixed and something else along the chain will break because your mechanics were so off.
Yup, maintenance and repair. Once the warranty expires it's always something.

Beloved's cardiac surgeon, who did his quadrupal bypass, had such an excellent bedside manner I told a family member "He's got such a great presence, he could be a real doctor!" lol

It's such a gift to get a surgeon with a visibly compassionate manner.

So how’s your knee as you approach mid-year? Always enjoy your humor.

@marieltha
Thanks for asking about Mr. Knee.

Mr. Knee, luckily, is not the jealous type....because I have forgotten about him! No pain, no drugs, no stiffness, no odd noises, just a scar.

He will be 6 months old Christmas Eve....and I will take him with me when I go to Vegas.

Mr. Right though is quite needy. PT today he “protested” quite vehemently. (2 more PT visits)
Mr. Right will receive an early Christmas gift of a needle and judiciously applied Steroids Wednesday. OS and I are targeting June of 2020 to “reform” Mr. Right, depending on work.

The goal in Vegas is 10K steps per day. (I am only expecting 5k out of each of them :heehee:). I have not hit that “magic number” as of yet. Walking is easy in Vegas.....elevators and escalators everywhere.

Yes, and if I get tired, there is always a seat at a table to play cards....:martini:

Hope your holiday is fabulous....

How is MrKnee going down stairs?
And does MrKnee feel like a natural knee?

Have a wonderful trip, by the way!

Congratulations @Poctdb. I'm so happy for you and if I'm honest (which I invariably am), quite jealous. At 6 months I'm still all too aware of my TKR. You're my role model for what will be one day.

@marieltha

Hmm....the “natural knee” question is a bit difficult to answer. My left knee was so bad for 20 years or more that my “natural knee” judgement is from when I was in my 30’s.

Before the right knee started to “beg for attention”, stairs were fine, foot over foot. Now the right just follows Mr. Knee down.
@Neesie

keep on keepin on....yours may just take a little time....

Totally agree. Mine is about 7 months and still stiff, I should probably strive for more steps and strengthening.. kudos to all who are this far and doing well!

Vegas report....

Steps...12-13K a day. No meds. Mr. Right even behaved.
Gambling.....
No money that was not already mine came back to Texas and I left some there.

Hockey in Dallas on the Texas State Fair Fairgrounds in the Cotton Bowl New Years Day....
I am ready....probably 20K steps......

You are doing so well! Good going.

I've been thinking of you each morning as I hit the rec center for my morning elliptical. There is a prominently displayed flier for pickle ball.

@luvcats
“Picklers” are planning to take over the world.....!!!!! (Evil laugh)

My suggestion is if pickleball coincides with your rec center visits....go watch for a bit. If you do, let me know what you think.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back