THR Week 5 post op THR

Jane922

Country
United States United States
I had THR on Sept 11. I'm doing my PT at home, walking and driving. I carry crutch when walking in case I need it.
I have pain in back of hip that wakes me up at night, and some pain occasionally during day. Only on Tylenol. Is that normal?
I need to return to work at week 8.

@Jane922 Welcome to BoneSmart! Which hip did you have replaced? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

At only 5 weeks out you are doing pretty well if you are already driving and only carrying a crutch. Pain levels at 5 weeks out can vary but are certainly reasonable. Are you icing and elevating that op leg? How much Tylenol are your taking per dose and how often?

Returning to work at only 8 weeks is fairly aggressive. Sure, it can be done. But the normal time for this is 10-12 weeks and then a phased return.

I'll give you a few guidelines that might help you see where you are in this recovery.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had THR on Sept 11. I'm doing my PT at home, walking and driving. I carry crutch when walking in case I need it.
I have pain in back of hip that wakes me up at night, and some pain occasionally during day. Only on Tylenol. Is that normal?
I need to return to work at week 8.

Hi @Jane922... I hope you re not doing any extreme PT at home that is causing the pain in the back of your hip. My PT "prescribed" various exercises which I only performed when and if I felt ready to do them without any guilt. I chose rest over rushing to get back to "normal" and so far... I feel great!
Please listen to your body... and all the advises you can get on this site.
:)

Hi Jane :wave:
How are you doing? Wondering if you returned to work last week, or if it's this week? If you're back I hope you're feeling well rested and handling it well. Please leave an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to read about your progress.
Have a great November!
@Jane922

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well as you continue to heal and move through recovery.
We'd love to hear from you one of these days.
Have a great week!
@Jane922

Hey Jane :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is welll. We'd really like to hear about your healing journey. It may be encouraging to those who are following behind you could be inspirational to those waiting for surgery to read of your progress. Please consider leaving an update. We hope to hear from you soon. Best wishes for a happy Christmas! :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
@Jane922

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom