TKR Knee#2's Recovery Thread

Going to get my cuppa coffee now :yawn: since that’s my new weight limit..also hoping for minor injuries, will keep posting, appreciate support and understanding!

How are you holding up? Any news? Miraculous sudden improvement?
I offer you this dancing penguin for your distraction and amusement.
:happyfeet:

Thx @luvcats !! I needed that! Right now I’m almost regretting cutting so much of my hair off. Most days I stay right here listing on my little eBay shop, so quick brushing and it’s ok. But hot days( sounds like they’re over) I miss my ponytail and just swoop it up w big clip and hope for the best! Haven’t heard anything back from dr or clinic re MRI so might call today, going to daughters later for bday supper, only good thing about getting older this year!

Happy Birthday! :flwrysmile:

Thank you @Jockette! I spent most of day out on front deck since first snowfall predicted for tomorrow and then cold and wet all week. Daughter fixed what she calls “larb” browned ground chicken and jasmine rice w spices, greens and pickled red onions on top .. she is a marvelous cook and I love when she invites us over! Pretty good day, put aside my negative thoughts and fears, but following up on more Ortho appointments for shoulder(s) tomorrow.

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad it was nice.
I hope today you get some good responses from various doctors.

Right now I’m almost regretting cutting so much of my hair off.
Its interesting that you say this. All my life I've had people tell me I should cut my hair and how much easier it would be short. I don't see it. On an average day, I brush and braid it once. Done. With proper brushing, it doesn't need to be washed very often. And I have Beloved trim it every 6 months or so. It has a bit of natural curl, so it doesn't matter if he gets it perfectly straight or not, no one would be able to tell. I don't see how any short cut could be less work than that, except during recovery when washing and brushing are iffy.

Re: “Right now I’m almost regretting cutting so much of my hair off. “

Happy Birthday!

I agree with @luvcats that long hair is very easy. Same here also: Have Swiss cutting sheers and my husband trims usually every 3 months (try to line it up with a waxing moon phase, per my late grandmother’s advice).

He did mount our master headboard on the wall to provide a space behind the bed so I can drape the hair over the pillow to sleep.
And I wear my CPAP/APAP Mask strap under the hair so the weight of the hair does not push the mask off.

And I would call about the MRIs. Things get buried, even in cyber inboxes.

@marieltha i did call today and got the run around.. and left messages but nothing. Will have to call again tomorrow. I have always had short hair but decided to let it grow about four years ago just for fun. I wish now i would’ve just trimmed it few inches but .. it will grow again. My sister had rotator cuff problems and used Biofreeze but I’m trying lidocaine patches. I think it takes edge off. @luvcats my hair is so thick that it was getting difficult to fix by myself, but I think my now former stylist could’ve been more help in thinning it out to prevent my decision.. but trying to make it work!

@marieltha i did call today and got the run around.. and left messages but nothing. Will have to call again tomorrow. I have always had short hair but decided to let it grow about four years ago just for fun. I wish now i would’ve just trimmed it few inches but .. it will grow again. My sister had rotator cuff problems and used that Biofreeze cream but I don’t know how well it works. Using tramadol and couple Tylenol to get some rest.

I'm so sorry you're getting the run around. It's always so frustrating.

I found that anything that numbed it helped to ease my pain, but putting it on the source of the pain was tricky. The MRI should tell you that. But numbing agents are only on the surface. The rotator cuffs go from the neck to the fingers. I had a lot of sympathy pain all along there. My tear was up on/near the bone, as is my incision, so the OS said to put it there and all the pain along the arm should benefit. He was right. Worked better. Took pain meds before and after to sleep.
Lidocaine 4% is OTC. 5% gel is Rx.
10% menthol spray (IcyHot but without the scent) is OTC. Lots of products OTC with less menthol.
Hope you feel better.

@marieltha you are right. And I’d need 50 patches to cover both arms right now lol
Snowstorm here today so offices not open but calling again tomorrow, still having sleep issues but using pain meds tonight as well as OTC help. It’s already starting, wonder if just using my IPhone makes it worse. Probably

I found that any kind of bad weather made my knee feel worse. It still does.

@knee#2 @Jockette
Changes/Drop in barometric pressure and related knee pain! That is how I discovered Bonesmart! I looked that up when I had that combination, after 2nd PKR (both knees were speaking) and someone on BS was discussing it.

My OS (when queried at my next followup) said 40% of people “feel” weather changes whether they have had bone surgery or not: That’s me! And usually, all people feel it after any bone surgery, including teeth/jaws, but the intensity will gradually subside over 2 years. I have a barometer app (shows present and coming) and try to get ahead of any drops (no inflammatory foods, more Tylenol at least).

I hope your snow is pretty @knee#2 and that you can stay inside and warm.

The snow day made everything look pretty and clean, and today it’s mostly gone! Made cocoa for my grands outdoor picnic with our jackets on.. The order finally came through for my new OS appointment to evaluate my latest predicament. My right arm seems to act up worst in evening.. I’m thinking it might be overuse, I spend lot time photographing and editing on my iPhone....

An outdoor picnic sounds lovely! The first snow is so magical. We don't see much of it here in VA and I miss it.

I'm so glad to hear you finally have orders and can get someone to figure out what is going on.

Saw the new orthopedic guy for my rotator cuff appointment, took X-ray which I thought was irrelevant since my primary dr said it wouldn’t actually show tear but that’s what they wanted. Spent more time with nurses and technicians than dr. He did bit of arm manipulation and after hearing my sad story of falling in bathroom that fateful night agreed MRI needed. So waiting for hospital to call me. If I don’t hear soon I plan to call them. Not particularly eager to get into that position in that machine for very long but need to get clarification as to severity and plan to fix my left arm at least, the right one might just require TLC for now.

Hi all. Right now my right arm is so painful(and of course I have to compensate for worst one) and I’m sure it’s from tapping on my little iPhone so much today, trying to get last of my eBay stuff listed so I can Try to get my house a bit ready for holidays and my son coming home. He understands how things are this year but I must do some kind preparation even if it’s just cleaning off the guest room bed! I finally managed to get cardiac /device approval to the MRI people and now their special team must approve. I am the Squeaky Wheel. :tada: Who still has some tramadol left thankfully.

worst Pain is top of shoulders upon waking I’m sure it’s from sleeping on my side, gradually subsides but this situation is becoming increasingly overwhelming.. hopefully will hear from the “special “ MRI team soon for their approval. @marieltha did you have scope repair or open surgery? I have read a lot of your journal but can’t seem to remember.

after hearing my sad story of falling in bathroom that fateful night agreed MRI needed.
I’m sorry you are in so much pain. Please tell me again about this experience.

You might want to check out our Shoulder Forum for more support in this area.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562