THR Supersonic's Post Op Thread

Splendid report. :egypdance:
Hope your weekend is wonderful @Supersonic
:SUNsmile:

@Supersonic Your Doctor check up went very well! Isn't that a nice pick me up? It's always good to re-assess and scale back on the daily activities when the pain/discomfort increases.. we all have done it, you sound like you are doing very well! Congratulations!
I kept a cane in my car and if uneven ground started bothering me I would return for the cane. Somedays it was needed, other days it wasn't. In fact, I bought a folding cane so I could carry it with me on longer walks. I learned to view the cane as preventing a set back instead of thinking that using the cane was the setback.
Enjoy your weekend!!

So one day without hip precautions and l'm sooo sore. Slept most of the night on my good/ unoperated side. Woke up unable to move. Managed to haul myself upright but very stiff.
I've not walked at all today and my scar feels lumpy again.
So 2 steps forward 1 step back l guess.

Aww, sorry to hear. It is a definite dance..to find what is tolerated, etc. Hopefully by resting and icing, tomorrow will be much better. :flwrysmile:

Thank you CricketHips
I guess it will up and down for awhile now, doing things for the first time - so to speak.
Feeling much better, which is ok.
Managed to get down on my knees today, nothing exciting. I've been living out of a draw, piling in all the clothes that were inaccessible to where l could reach.
I've grown fed up of the daily rummage to find clothes that aren't too tight and have some give.
So knelt down to retrieve my various jeans from a lower draw and was nearly stuck !
Can now move pretty much how and where l like which is great but jeans still feel too tight.
So went the supermarket yet again in stretchy clothes but without crutch or cane.
Tomorrow it's the bed raisers, toilet seat raisers. Crutches banished and get well cards taken down.
Onwards and upwards !

Sounds like you have made great progress! How wonderful to put some of the tools you no longer need away!
You bring up a good topic. Clothing that either stretches because of swelling of the hip and leg, and/or clothing that stretches because you simply gain weight letting the hip heal. Any recommendations? I have heard sweat pants, and stretchy pajamas. I will have a winter hip, so no A line dresses for me.

I have been living in leggings and tunics. Some of the combinations are even good enough to go to a very nice place for dinner. Great boots and jewelry can dress it up. And a long sweatshirt or sweater turns it casual.

I live in Eileen Fisher or Athleta clothes. But I always look for sales. Eileen Fisher is pricy but they do have good sales. And if you have a Nordstrom Rack near you they also usually carry that brand. I get years of use out of them and I figure the actual cost to be how much and how long you wear it.

And believe it or not, Uniqlo has had some nice tunics (and great t shirts). Very inexpensive.

For example, I spend a lot on my eyeglasses but I wear them always and keep them for 5-10 years. The last two pair I’ve had are titanium and indestructible. The company is Bevel and they are made in Japan.

Supersonic, I think you are getting excited about your recovery! I like Athleta clothing, too. they last forever, at least they have for me..
I also find some good yoga pants at Old Navy, I'm tall so I order them online to get the tall sizing.
In fact several of my tunics and t shirts came from Old Navy, also.

Glad to see you posting about your next stage in healing.. congrats!

Hi, hippy pal. :hi:
Glad to see your update and see that you gave restrictions lifted.
This is definitely a confidence booster... to get affirmation from the doctor that all is stable.
However we all had restrictions dictated by our bodies...not the doc.
I dropped assisted advices fairly early...but realized certain situations and terrains warranted it.
Still early days, so keep the faith.
Lots of improvement to come!

Last edited:
@ceezee Thank you, I think the same way, buy something that lasts so you do not need to shop often. Yes, I have some Eileen Fischer for winter and there is a store 25 minutes away and they do have good sales. Thank you for reminding me. It’s tucked away from the moths for now.
Left a message for the surgical coordinator this morning, since my OS is back from his week long conference and hoping for a December rather than January date.
What size larger in leggings to get to accommodate all the swelling? Did you go up one size?
I have been a Zella athletic pants girl because they wear like iron, from Nordstrom. The store is quite a distance away, and the The Rack is, too. Mostly I shop online. Athleta I have heard good things about.
I have a Uniglo shirt! Well made and I know their prices are reasonable, a Japanese brand. I will look online there, too.
@CricketHip You are right, Old Navy is be a good place for some hip swelling clothes. Thank you. Did you need a larger size to accommodate the swelling?

So went the supermarket yet again in stretchy clothes but without crutch or cane.
Tomorrow it's the bed raisers, toilet seat raisers. Crutches banished and get well cards taken down.

Yay for you! :happydance:
Stay comfy for awhile in those stretchy clothes. You've earned it.
What a great milestone losing all of those assistive devices.
You are on your way!
A great Monday to you :)

Just off to bed, raisers are still in place as is toilet seat. I can't move the bed myself yet and my son has been busy so things stay put for now.

This is definitely a confidence booster... to get affirmation from the doctor that all is stable.
However we all had restrictions dictated by our bodies...not the doc.
It's so true, my muscles are screaming without a crutch for support. Pains in my back and all down my thigh so meds, ice, elevation and a fold up cane that l can bring out for longer journeys.

My doctor signed me off for another 2 weeks today too, via her secretary. It's a busy practice and you can see any doctor out of 5. She has scheduled a personal call on the 18th Oct to see how l am and if l need anymore time off. I guess l will need to be seen in person to be declared fit to work.

I think people expect everything to be normal now. My mom is off on holiday (again) to Malta and declared the break will be good as we've probably seen too much of each other ! As much as l love her - Ditto !! Lol !
Also lots of well meaning people telling me about friends of friends. Like, Mrs C 6 weeks post/op and back to work, Mrs H bowling at 3 weeks aged 80!, Mrs K back on her market stall at 7 weeks. Mr S mowing the lawn at 3 weeks. Well l wore jeans at 7 weeks !!
Age, fitness, expectations and commitments are all factors in recoveries and l remind myself not to compare.
Once at work will need to be on my feet, safe, supportive mentally and physically and present for the full 8 hours. So better not to rush.

Hi @VSlowLife
It's a 3 and half hour flight and is one of the southern most places in Europe. Wish l were going as the weather will be 27° .
Wasn't sure when l would be called for my THR and didnt want to cancel holiiday or op.
Next year though, fingers crossed.

Also lots of well meaning people telling me about friends of friends. Like, Mrs C 6 weeks post/op and back to work, Mrs H bowling at 3 weeks aged 80!, Mrs K back on her market stall at 7 weeks. Mr S mowing the lawn at 3 weeks. Well l wore jeans at 7 weeks !!
:rotfl:
This is hilarious! I think people think its only been 3 weeks for their hippy friend but its longer in reality!!
I didn't adjust my size for swelling either, but I’m not a good one to ask, I wore skorts for both of my hip recoveries and probably didn’t ease into leggings until maybe the third week, and chose my softer knit leggings. The compression felt great by then.
I love your attitude. You totally got this!

Hey my jeans are of the super stretchy mom kind and very soft. My scar can handle fabric but l changed back to my comfies as soon as l got home.
I honestly thought the same @CricketHip, 3 weeks/3months things get blurred when its not yr recovery. Also was Mrs H bowling or cheering from the side lines ?
I'm trying to avoid the IODC, harder now than in the first few weeks when well meaning folk offer to invite me out.

@Supersonic Wow, three and a half hours is like a flight for me to go to Florida, so it is farther than I thought. I have been to Malta by ship and I felt like I was back in time 500 years ago when entering the harbor. Its’s an amazingly historical place with great weather.
Glad you are looking forward to your next THR.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back