Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

You're doing great! It's so encouraging to read your posts and see the progress you're making. I'll bet you were happy after your visit with the OS. You'll really be ramping up the weight bearing over the next several weeks. It will make such a difference. Thanks for updating, always nice to hear from you.
Enjoy the weekend!
@CPH

Best report ever!!! I bet you were so happy after hearing that! I am still amazed how you've lost weight while being so limited. :bow: You really are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. congrats to you @CPH

Hi @CPH
Great to know that fracture is healed nicely and kudos for the weight loss.:tada:
Onward and upward:egypdance:

Big week! Started my Water PT this week (way better than regular PT IMHO). And Taddahhhh....started walking with one crutch for last 7 days and today was able to walk a short distance with nothing but my own two feet. Will go slow, but I am so stoked. I’ll be Going to my community pool to do my water exercises between appointments, but I am so happy with my progress on this long journey. This hip for whatever reason has no pain or discomfort at all. My muscles were sore this week from the exercises, but once I got moving in the morning, that went away. I really appreciate all the support and empathy from everyone here. Fingers crossed no issues on the horizon! Have a wonderful Labor Day!

:wave:
Taddahhhh....started walking with one crutch for last 7 days and today was able to walk a short distance with nothing but my own two feet. Will go slow, but I am so stoked.
:happydance::egypdance::happydance:
Awesome update!
Have a great weekend, friend.:SUNsmile:

@CPH that's a great update! Have to agree with you on the water walking, think the little bit I did last week before I was smart enough to stop because my muscles were messed up did more than the "official" PT that I was going to. I think you're going to continue to love the results.

• Friendly
Reactions: CPH
All terrific news! These are wonderful milestones - and I am so happy for you that the doctor has given you incremental goals to look forward to from this point on. Well done!

• Friendly
Reactions: CPH
Thanks for sharing the great news...an uplifting post indeed!
I'm happy for you :yes: I sense your excitement and it's wonderful to read the only pain or discomfort you're feeling is muscle fatigue from exercising. It's been a long three months for you and it's encouraging to see the progress you're making. You'll be walking unassisted in no time and going strong into 2020!
Take is slow and easy and have a lovely Labor Day weekend!
@CPH

:loveshwr:What a nice bit of news to discover when I returned to the computer!!
@CPH you are doing so well, your perseverance
is paying off!!
Happy news!! :loveshwr:

@CPH How are things going this week? I hope it's still going well, you sure have earned some smooth sailing!
:flwrysmile:

Hi @CPH
We missed your Three Month Anniversary a few days ago. Hope it was a great day and one worth celebrating. Would love to hear how you're doing when you have time to share an update. Your story has been equally interesting and inspiring to follow. I hope you continue to enjoy your water therapy and weekly progress.
Wishing you a beautiful Autumn as you continue to heal. :SUNsmile:

Life is great...finally! Been continuing to focus on my physical therapy in the pool and also on land. No longer have a limp, leg length is very even, my hip joint is getting more and more flexible and I am generally getting fit from exercising every day. A week ago I took my first flight without any problems or issues. I do find that my right leg gets tired more quickly than my left after being on it for long distances, but realize at 3.5 months out from my revision, I am still healing. My hip is completely pain free and my scar is fading more quickly than I expected. I Have my 4 month follow-up with OS in October and expect a good evaluation. So nice to feel like this ordeal is behind me and I have resumed a normal life after almost 2 years of pain and recovery. I need to continue to lose more weight to get down to an average BMI, but making good progress. I also have refrained from hiking due to uneven paths and hills, but plan on starting to take it on in a few weeks with walking poles. Could probably do it now, but just being cautious, which Will probably always be the case as I want this revision to last a lifetime.

As a side note, after talking with my PT, I am convinced my femur fractured during the first surgery, but was not detectable on the X-rays as it was probably a slight fracture, then when I fully loaded it up, the implant/stem split it apart the rest of the way causing me to fall. While it’s not a common occurrence, I was told before the surgery fracture is a risk and I did have some bone loss from not putting full weight on it for a year prior, and have mild osteopena. Anyway, all is well now, so no point in looking backward, but If you have trouble putting full weight on your new hip after a few weeks, probably best to get it looked at just in case.

As a side note, after talking with my PT, I am convinced my femur fractured during the first surgery, but was not detectable on the X-rays as it was probably a slight fracture, then when I fully loaded it up, the implant/stem split it apart the rest of the way causing me to fall.

Ugh! Makes me cringe reading that. Sounds like a good possibility though. But...like you said "no point in looking backward" you're doing phenomenally well and it's long overdue. I'm extremely happy for you and thankful you've shared your journey. Happy endings are awesome and you're on the way to living yours.
Stay in touch and all the best until next time!
@CPH

@CPH That’s exactly what happened to me. Mine wasn’t discovered until my 4 week checkup and then the X-rays clearly showed the fracture. The ones taken right after surgery look fine. I had made a quick move and used that leg to stop me from falling and I’m sure that’s when it happened. I thought it was only a muscle but it never got better. Fortunately for me it’s been able to be healed by going on non weight bearing for a month. Just last Thursday I was finally allowed to put weight on it again. I go back in a month for another checkup. It’s still healing but I can walk on it and that makes the healing bone even stronger.

I was lucky to escape a revision. I plan on spending the next few months being very very careful!

:ok:Great update...so glad to hear you are doing well.
Hope your life gets fuller and happier with time.
All the best mojo for things to get better and better!:egypdance:

This is the best news!! Congratulations @CPH! You did it and did it with grace.
I am curious.. when you say it hurt to bear weight on that leg, how did it hurt? Was it a sharp pain?
I'm guessing it was more than the pain of sore muscles?

I et you feel on top of the world about now!! hugs to you!! :happydance::SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back